Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2124252627282930313233343536373841 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Beads on pipes help a lot on hose retention. You could also try some of those fancy constant tension clamps. I know they are pricey, but they work.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (10-08-2016),tsingson (10-08-2016)

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Beads on pipes help a lot on hose retention. You could also try some of those fancy constant tension clamps. I know they are pricey, but they work.
    My charge pipes are beaded. The issue is the pipe connecting the supercharger outlet to the intercooler inlet doesn't have the optimal lineup. The pipe is bent to aid in that but there is a certain amount of offset. This causes the hose clamp to want to slip since it doesn't have a square surface to grip. That being said, I'm going to see what I can find/figure out to fix it once and for all.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 10-08-2016 at 09:55 PM.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-09-2016),NCGreasemonkey (10-09-2016),tsingson (10-08-2016)

Thanks Given
    Just got done ordering a set of the Feal extended top hats from Goodwin for the rear Ohlins, along with a couple of Speedthane Acura bumpstops. Should give me some more travel in the rear to keep from riding the stops.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (10-10-2016)

Thanks Given
    While taking my youngest to a doctor's appointment this morning, I almost got creamed by a red light runner. Took me completely by surprise. Had I left that light quickly the way I normally do I would not have been able to avoid getting hit.

As I mentioned the mounting brackets for the MS wing had some paint issues. It took me a couple of tries to find something that was close, I ended up with Duplicolor engine enamel (with ceramic!) in aluminum. I cleaned up the corrosion and lifting paint, then shot it with the new paint. Prep work as per the pictures:

I didn't strip the paint completely off so the end result probably isn't going to be perfect but it will get me by for now. The main mounts are plastic and in good shape so I left them alone. Pictures of it all once the paint dries.

Thanks Given
    Paint turned out well:

There are some defects but all will be concealed by the other parts of the brackets so for now it's fine. I will need to find a good paint stripper that will let me take everything off and then I will repaint everything.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-12-2016),Demon I Am (10-10-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (10-10-2016),tsingson (10-11-2016)

Thanks Given
    Made a run to Ace this morning to see about getting some button head Allen screws to replace the standard bolts provided for the wing mounts. They didn't have any long enough so I did a web search and bought some via Amazon.

Jacked the front end in the air, put her on jackstands and crawled underneath to take care of my exhaust clearance issue (hoping for the last time). Every time I have to drop the butterfly brace I am reminded just what a PITA it is. The benefits far outweigh that disadvantage though. First used a cut-off wheel in my angle grinder, then dressed things up with a regular grinding disc. Should be plenty of room now:

While I was on the floor I cleaned up the front bumper where some paint had gotten removed when I pulled the lip off. Put a little touch-up paint on there so I'll be ready once the parts are done at the painter's. Dropped her back down, started her up and no buzzing/rattling from the exhaust.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (10-11-2016),NCGreasemonkey (10-11-2016),tsingson (10-11-2016)

Thanks Given
    New bumpstops arrived today, and they are stiff. As in, I can't compress them at all by hand stiff.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Wanna test those stops fer real?

Go get your best hard soled shoes. Place said bump stop on hard floor where your heel can comfortably rest on it in a seated position. Lean over your knee to observe and stomp down on that mother as hard as you can. If you nose is broke then that is a mighty fine stop. If there is a hole in the floor then it might be a tad stiff, or use got termites.

Do use have shoes in Ky.?

Had to MG! You are getting too much accomplished not to be heckled.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    God, after that last joke I wish there was a step above "nukuler banned!"

No todo que es oro brilla.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (10-12-2016),NCGreasemonkey (10-12-2016),RustRat (10-12-2016),tsingson (10-12-2016)

Thanks Given
    Time to hit him with the ban sledgehammer!!

Thanks Given
    Called the body shop today and they said parts would be ready for pickup later this afternoon. I didn't have the CX available so told them I'd get the parts tomorrow.

Decided to do a little prep work and make a change I have been planning on while I was going to take the front bumper off. Pulled the inside trunk storage I have off, some of the adhesive had already come off but the rest was tenacious:

There was one small screw that went through the plastic backing I wasn't expecting so now have a bigger hole where it was. I removed the third brake and license plate lights, despite only being a couple of years old the brake light gasket already shows signs of breakdown. I'm going to have to see if I can get the license plate light gaskets too, one of those didn't want to come off and some of it tore off. Trunk lid is ready to pull in the morning.

Swapped ends, jacked her up and removed the undertray. Drained/pulled the radiator and addressed one of the small hoses that come off where the factory thermostat housing is located. With the modified part I had made up, the hose made a 180 degree bend which kinked it:

I did some research and found there is no way to bend a hose once it's been formed. Looked around for some other method and found Unicoils:

This allows you to put a bend in a hose that isn't there while giving it enough support to keep it from collapsing. I found that one of the small hoses for a NA had a nice 180 degree bend so ordered one of those. I used the Unicoil to change its direction and run it down to the connection at the water pump. Judicious use of a zip-tie to make sure nothing falls into the path of a belt, and I now have this:

I was going to replace my lower radiator mounts with ones that haven't been cut up (you may recall I cut mine up during my initial installation of the BRP supercharger, then found out later I just needed a different fastener), but apparently took those to my storage so that will have to wait until the morning.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (10-12-2016),tsingson (10-12-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    MG, no joking with you this time. Get in with one of your local part stores. They will let you sample the hoses they keep in the back. Unicoils work in a way. But the one you have on didn't make it to the end and you have a zip-tie on the rubber hose. Zip-tie's edges are very sharp and under vibration will cut thru a hose quickly. Also loose the spring clamp. As that compresses with heat cycles it might contact you belt from the picture.

Want my fellow nut-case safe when he's on land. And his wife not having problems when he is not!

Peace!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (10-13-2016),RustRat (10-13-2016)

Thanks Given
    I appreciate you looking out and understand your points. However, the Unicoil isn't going anywhere as there is enough friction between it and the hose so there isn't any need for it to go to the end. The zip-tie is just loosely holding the hose clear, I did the same on the previous hose and there were no signs of any slicing of the hose where the ties were. Finally, none of the clamps are in any danger of being hit by a belt. I think you might be seeing the metal bushing that the factory put over the hose in that area to prevent any damage to the hose should something happen to cause contact with the belt. I reused that bushing as I feel it's a good idea (an engineer thought of it so it has to be, right?). If on the other hand you were talking about the upper clamp, it is well clear of that belt (perspective can be a bitch sometimes).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (10-13-2016)

Thanks Given
    Picked up my parts this morning. Can you say beautiful? I can. Now to get it all installed...

Thanks Given
    Got started by replacing the Zoom gas filler door. First you have to remove the door (two bolts), the gas cap, four bolts at the base of the filler and the nut on the door release. Be careful not to drop any of the small fasteners down either the gas fill pipe or the overflow hole (you can stuff something in there if you are concerned you might drop something).

First you have to attach the hinge with the two bolts that held the factory door in place. This is a royal PITA.

Next you slot the cup in place, I forgot to take a picture of this. It's held in by the four screws you removed from the filler pipe. You also put the nut back on the door release now. Finally you put the door on the hinge along with the spring that pops it up:

And voila, it's all done.

Next up I removed the trunk lid and installed the freshly painted one. This is pretty basic, four nuts and it's off/on. I put the rubber bumpers back on, routed the third brake and license plate light wire harness and installed the latch. I lined up the paint marks on the hinges for where the nuts were before, it was close but I had to finagle a little bit to get the gaps good. Installed the third brake light, when I went to put in the license plate lights I found contrary to what I thought, one of them did break when I removed it. Ended up using one of the ones that came with the new trunk lid. Installed the painted Mazda emblem and then went on to install the wing mounts. Note the outboard screw washer will be resting on the sealer, as that part of the mount is plastic you can put a lot of stress on it if you try to just tighten it down. I marked around the washer then used a knife to remove the sealer under the washer. That gave me a good mount.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-14-2016),HarryB (10-14-2016),tsingson (10-14-2016)

Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2124252627282930313233343536373841 ... LastLast