Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2932333435363738394041424344454649 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Here's some pictures. Supercharger as unpacked:

From there I had to install two mounting brackets and the throttle body before installing it. Here's the recoated rotors:

So pretty.

All the used parts were returned. The bearings were all rough to one degree or another, one of the front rotor bearings was about five minutes away from catastrophic failure:

I dodged a huge bullet with this one. Good thing I have all those years of training myself to listen for out of the ordinary noises etc.

While I was putting it all back together I also installed the Mazda 626 Fiamm horns I bought. They are basically the same as the ones I had installed but with only one wire connection (the ground is done through the mounting stud). As I noted before I will have to grind down some on the rear 949 subframe brace as I heard it rubbing on the exhaust. I do like the RB muffler, it's quieter than the Brainstorm I had and seems a bit throatier as well.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-12-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2017),HarryB (04-06-2017),JamieH (04-12-2017),NCGreasemonkey (04-06-2017),Paul B (04-05-2017),tsingson (04-05-2017)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Wow. That bearing looks scary.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (04-06-2017),HarryB (04-06-2017)

Thanks Given
    Did a little Sunday modification. I decided that the radio I have is overkill for me. I already had the wire harness from my cassette deck to use, just had to buy some 4.7k ohm resistors along with the stock pocket for under the radio. Instead of using a jack to connect my phone I cut up a piece I had bought for the wife's car at one point with a 3.5mm mini plug. After researching which wire would go where, I sat down and commenced cutting things up. I used my new Dremel to make cuts in the side of the pocket for the switch (I used one of the same ones that I bought to control the antenna for my Nakamichi). This was followed by twisting wires and soldering them together. A little heat shrink and electrical tape and it was all together. The test came next to make sure everything worked before I buttoned it all up, it was a success! I slide the pocket in place first, due to the switch sticking out I had to angle it with the left side going in first, then snapped it in place. I ran the connection wire down the right side of the center console and then back to where it was going to come out. Put the stock radio in, that took a little finagling to get the wires in back out of the way so it would seat all the way. I then drilled a 3/8" hole in the front of the center console cubby, pulled the connection wire through, put a grommet on it and then into the hole. Here's pictures of the highlights:

If anyone is interested in doing this, search for aux-in or line-in mods.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 10-13-2017 at 02:27 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2017),HarryB (04-09-2017),Paul B (04-20-2017)

Thanks Given
    After installing the RB muffler, I was getting some contact between the exhaust piping and the rear 949 subframe brace when cold (thermal growth of the pipe when everything was hot made clearance). Removed it this evening and ground some more off that area (like I did before). After multiple test fits and grinding I ended up with enough clearance. Hit it with some semi-gloss black to prevent rust and reinstalled, one of these days I'll find some gold that matches the original paint and paint both the front and rear braces.

My nifty trunk organizer with the pockets didn't want to stay in place with the industrial Velcro I used. After a lot of searching I figured out what was used previously (at least I hope what was used). I tried ordering some double sided adhesive pads from a specialty supplier but their website was screwed up and they didn't answer my request for help. Off to Amazon I went, bought some 3M urethane double sided adhesive tape that is 1/8" thick. Since I didn't think to measure thickness of the old stuff I am hoping this will do the trick. It's arriving tomorrow so I'll know then. No pictures as I have basically done both of these jobs before.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-12-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-11-2017),NCGreasemonkey (04-12-2017)

Thanks Given
    Yesterday when I pulled out of the garage to run errands, I noticed some black substance on the floor. Got out and looked at/felt it, seemed suspiciously like supercharger lubricant. Looked at the snout and sure enough there was a track of oil running down from the nose bearing seal. @$#%(^&)&*#!! Pulled the belt and wired the bypass valve open. I sent a message to JBP asking for a replacement seal to install myself. He got back to me fairly quickly and said that according to their records my nose shaft had some damage which they took care of by sleeving. He said they would need to look at it to see what the problem was, that it might not just be the seal. This morning first thing I removed the 'charger, when I did that I noticed what appeared to be oily residue inside the rotor housing. At that point I decided to send the whole thing back to him. Really sucks since I only have about two weeks at home to enjoy the car. I'm going to see if I can rig up an NA intake so I can drive her while I wait for the 'charger to come back to me.

In other (hopefully happier) news, I got the double sided adhesive tape I ordered for the trunk saddlebags. Just got done installing that, I had to use two layers of tape on the right side of the trunk due to the wire harness that runs down that side of the trunk lid. Without two layers the saddlebag won't adhere to the lid. I'll see how well it works, early result is that tape is strong stuff. It's hard getting the line-up exactly right, when I tried to reposition the piece the tape was already on there and I couldn't move it around.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (04-13-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Sorry to hear about the leak! Do hope you get wheel time while home. Again, it seems you and I share the same type of luck. Noir tried to fight me but I got lucky and zigged to her zag.

Not to hijack. But I know 50% of this shot is pulling for you.

The other is, too. Though he might not admit it here. Yes, that is AO and myself. LOL
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (04-14-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-14-2017),oldgrayleather (04-18-2017)

Thanks Given
    Wow, you were right next to him and didn't manage to get him to lift your ban? Your technique must be off.

Where there is a will, there's a way. I spent some quality time this afternoon with Minnie and gave her an intake.

Sometimes procrastination comes in handy. I still have bits and pieces from the M45 setup so I pulled that out of storage to see what I could do with it. I also stopped by AutoZone and picked up a 3"-2 1/2" reducer. With that in hand, and my years of making repairs with what we had on hand (especially on old ships) here is what I ended up with:

I used the stock throttle body and put the IAC in its normal place. I had to make a little bracket to hold the throttle cable in place, since I never had a stock one:

Finally, I had to use the metal tube that normally mounts on the supercharger to connect the air filter to the crossover tube. This also allowed me to have a way to tie the filter down. I used some tape and zip ties to close off two openings in the tube so I wouldn't get any unfiltered air:

Voila! And, success! She fired right up and idled normally. This made me a very happy man.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-14-2017),HarryB (04-14-2017),JamieH (04-14-2017),NCGreasemonkey (04-15-2017),oldgrayleather (04-18-2017),Roadster7 (04-14-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Mike your inbox is full.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Wow, you were right next to him and didn't manage to get him to lift your ban? Your technique must be off.
    Hey, We are the only two that wear that badge. My chin is up. We are special!

Wish you could have seen the moment I introduced myself. Priceless!

Glad the ride time is happening! Us in the wrenches find a way. Hopefully mine come out tomorrow and she gets some added parts. She's been on hold too long for the Fla. trip.

Peace!
    ... Rick

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-18-2017)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Mike your inbox is full.
    Sorry about that. I just took care of it.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Being crafty pays off! Hats off to you Mike, albeit it would seem anemic compared to the sc. Hope your issues finish soon!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (04-15-2017)

Thanks Given
    Thanks Harry. It's true, she's a lot slower getting up to speed. On the plus side, it will be harder to get myself into trouble and I get to practice maintaining momentum. Oh yeah, and she's a lot quieter too (I'm not just talking about the 'charger whine, the exhaust overall and general mechanical noise is much reduced). On the downside, I won't be schooling any minivans for a bit.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-17-2017)

Thanks Given
    'charger is scheduled to be delivered to JBP today. Hopefully the turnaround will be quick.

While I was removing the 'charger, I didn't watch what I was doing closely enough and broke the top right off the dipstick. No big deal I figured, got the part number off Mazda Motorsports and while at the dealer this morning getting the wife's RX-8 airbag recall done I asked the parts guy to order me one. According to what he saw the part has been discontinued. Say what? When I got home I went to Priority Mazda online and ordered from them. That was kind of strange to say the least.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    'charger is scheduled to be delivered to JBP today. Hopefully the turnaround will be quick.

While I was removing the 'charger, I didn't watch what I was doing closely enough and broke the top right off the dipstick. No big deal I figured, got the part number off Mazda Motorsports and while at the dealer this morning getting the wife's RX-8 airbag recall done I asked the parts guy to order me one. According to what he saw the part has been discontinued. Say what? When I got home I went to Priority Mazda online and ordered from them. That was kind of strange to say the least.
    Have to love that Carbon three-point for the Dipstick removal. Just assuming yours had the same fate as mine. I'm dealing with the yellow tip till I can figure out a mod that Noir will like.

Peace Nut!
    ... Rick

25. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (04-20-2017)

Thanks Given
    In my case it was just because I moved the supercharger too far to the firewall. The loud snap followed by the tinkling sound as the broken top made its way to the ground let me know my mistake.

Dipstick showed up yesterday. I pulled out the old one and inserted the new one. Easy-peasy.

JBP called last evening. They said it was definitely leaking from the nose seal, but when they took everything apart there was nothing apparently wrong. All the seals were replaced anyway, and they were going to fill the oil compartment right up and leave it inverted overnight to see if anything else showed. I was supposed to hear back from them today but nothing so far.

While I was sitting around idle this evening I decided to do a foamectomy. For anyone who doesn't venture into Miata.net to be familiar with this term, you just remove the seat bottom cover and cut some foam off the seat. Long-time readers of this space will know that I did this to the original factory NB1 driver's seat. Same thing this time, and as I am still a glutton for punishment I reused the hog rings. I took 1-1 1/4" off the bottom of the foam, this lets the seat cover sit nicely so it doesn't appear to be any different. Once I had that job done, I pulled the back seat cover off enough to insert the inflatable lumbar support I have. With everything buttoned up and the seat back in the car, I gave it a sit to see how it was going to work for me. Acid test will be once I take a trip, but I like it a lot sitting statically.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (04-20-2017)

Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2932333435363738394041424344454649 ... LastLast