Page 42 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3235363738394041424344454647484952 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Got an alignment yesterday. Went with the 949 racing dual duty specs. Of course the front could only be set to -1.8 degrees (spec calls for -2.5). As this is a factor of the suspension geometry, there was nothing else to do for it but buy a set of extended lower ball joints. Those are now headed my way, don't know if I will receive them in time for installation prior to MATG.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-27-2017)

Thanks Given
    I mentioned calibrating the wideband sensor the other day. Yesterday it was acting worse, I ordered a replacement sensor but decided to try calibrating it again. It is now worse than it was. Cleaning the sensor did nothing. I did notice that the connection cable between the sensor and the gauge had a bulge on the connector that I didn't notice the other day, that is usually a sign of overheating and could be the cause of the problem. Sucks I didn't see that before ordering the sensor as I could have gotten both together and saved some money. In any event the cable is now ordered and I should have everything by Monday. Also got my hard drive today so I'll be seeing if I can change out parts to gain access to my old laptop files (which includes all my Tuner Studio stuff).
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-28-2017)

Thanks Given
    Found out the new hard drive I bought had smaller Torx head screws than what was in my friend's kit that I borrowed. Today I stopped by Harbor Freight, lo and behold they had a 34 piece screwdriver set with a T4 bit so I'm set for that job now.

My new wideband sensor was delivered today, but there isn't any point in my installing it until I get the cable. As MATG is drawing near i figured I should do another job I have been planning for. When I installed my new soft top I wasn't able to replace the stripping located on the back side of the window weatherstripping channels. I wasn't even sure of what the material was. I ended up using some double-sided tape on two of the three pieces on each side just to have a seal there, however this doesn't work well if you need to make adjustments to the weatherstripping (which I did). I did some searching last week to see what sort of foam tape was available. I found some neoprene tape on Amazon so bought a roll.

Here is the original material on one of the pieces I didn't touch:

As you can see this is pretty much neoprene tape. The stuff I bought is 1/16" (1.5 mm) thick which is basically the same thickness as stock. I pulled all the channels off, cleaned off all the old tape, cleaned up the residue with some acetone followed by denatured alcohol. I cut strips of the tape to 19 mm width and then applied them to the channels. A little work with a Exacto knife to open up the screw holes and here is the result:

I am very pleased with this. Channels will be installed tomorrow after I clean up the surfaces they rest on.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

JamieH (07-29-2017),tsingson (08-07-2017)

Thanks Given
    Channels were installed this morning. I used the neoprene tape to make some cushions for the soft top latches. Mine was gone from the passenger side latch so on those rare occasions when I didn't have the boot cover on it would rattle. It was a little hard making a template for them but they get the job done:

The O2 sensor cable came in the mail so I jacked her up in the air and proceeded to change out the sensor and cable. Running the cable up the A pillar is a PITA, I used a piece of safety wire as a snake to get it into where I wanted it to go. The new sensor has a longer pigtail so I ran the cable further across the firewall so the connector ended up above the transmission. It is well clear of any hot surfaces and can't rub on anything either. Got it all buttoned up, fired her up and everything is back to normal. Now I have to get some tuning done with the new sensor.

Here is the damage to the cable connector (excuse the blurriness in the second picture, the camera kept focusing on my hand):

The white stuff inside the connector oozed out of the inside of the connector. Not good.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

JamieH (07-29-2017),tsingson (08-07-2017)

Thanks Given
    Yesterday I washed her and did some detailing. Adjusted my alternator belt, first time using the Gates Krikit tool I bought last year. It works great. I had a hard time finding the correct tension to use (lots of speculation on it). After some searching I found this site: https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...ning-sheet.pdf. That should answer any questions about it.

Since my wife has decided she really doesn't want to go to MATG, I figured I'd put the Recaros back in for the trip. They will be better suited for spirited driving than the leather NB2s. Retrieved them from storage and did the swap, including moving the air bladder over on the driver's seat. Went for an errand, everything was fine until I started her to head home. I heard an unusual noise coming from the alternator area, and for some reason the temperature gauge was showing higher than normal. Got home and checked the alt belt tension, it was pretty tight. After she cooled off I loosened it up a little and then went for a test. No strange noises and all was back to normal.

Today I also checked the cruise control vacuum motor using the test procedure from the FSM. Both my original and a spare I have checked out (I had thought I might have blown the diaphragm on the original from boost). With that result plus what I found on the switches, it's starting to look like the culprit might be the control module itself. If I feel motivated I might perform the checks on that tomorrow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

tsingson (08-07-2017)

Thanks Given
    Did some general prep work for the trip today. First thing this morning I adjusted the window seals (find out in the morning how well they seal now), then oil/filter change, polished the headlights, cleaned/treated the interior. Packed up some tools and have all that in the trunk. I have to get myself some directions printed out so I can figure out where I'm headed. I wasn't able to dive into the cruise control further, somehow my electrical manual has gone missing.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (08-01-2017),tsingson (08-07-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Hope all goes well Nut!

You can sleep in peace as I will not make it to MATG. Send me pics.!

Am busy acquiring another NA. Hope to shoot you back pics. in response.

Peace!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Thanks Given
    Sorry we won't get to finally meet. Or am I...

Good luck with the new purchase. I'll see what I can do as far as pictures, although I'm not known for those.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (08-01-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Sorry we won't get to finally meet. Or am I...

Good luck with the new purchase. I'll see what I can do as far as pictures, although I'm not known for those.
    Pictures or we will show up!

Peace you Banned nut!

If AO makes it you need shots like I had in Tampa!

When the Vette goes off the cliff is a bonus. (You know it is in jest Alex) Safe rides for all!~
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Thanks Given
    My ELBJs showed up yesterday but not enough time for installation and alignment before MATG. Came down this afternoon and lost my Dragon cherry. For anyone reading this who hasn't been, try to drive it at least once in your life. It is amazing.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

JamieH (08-08-2017),MiataQuest (08-02-2017),NCGreasemonkey (08-02-2017),tsingson (08-07-2017)

Thanks Given
    Had a blast at MATG. Got to meet some people I only knew from forums and drive some great roads. Here's a few pictures (excuse the poor quality, I forgot to pack my camera and only had my phone to use):

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (08-07-2017),JamieH (08-08-2017),MiataQuest (08-07-2017),NCGreasemonkey (08-09-2017),oldgrayleather (08-08-2017),TNRooster3 (08-07-2017),tsingson (08-07-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    What a superb looking car!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (08-07-2017)

Thanks Given
    Thanks Harry! I had several people comment about my rear spoiler and ask where I had gotten it, I told them you had one for sale so maybe you will get more interest.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (08-07-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Wow, massively appreciated!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone TNRooster3's Avatar
    Drives
    chaste White, 1996 R2-Limited Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Nice pix and car, we had to cancel didn't get to go either. Sorry I missed it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (08-08-2017)

Page 42 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3235363738394041424344454647484952 ... LastLast