Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3841424344454647484950515253545558 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    When cold, if I tried rushing the 1-2 shift (basically shifting like I normally would) it would resist. With the Motorcraft fluid that is all but gone.

I've used Lexol for a long time, might be better stuff out there but I tend to stick with what I know. I have read about some kind of cream that is good to use if your leather is really dry, can't recall the name though.

I see I neglected to answer your question about mileage. I'm close to 90,000.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 10-28-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    2000 Special Edition
    Thanks Given
    OK, seeing as we have essentially the same cars short of the supercharger, I'll ask you this: how the hell does one get the wooden grip of the emergency brake (my brake needs to be tightened up) and the shift nob off the shift lever? I see no set screws to back off. Obviously I don't want to take a tool to the wood. Do I just need to man up and grab them as tight as I can and turn? I may need to get some beefy chum to take over.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Shift knob is grab and turn counter clockwise (unscrew). Handbrake is grab, twist/wiggle slightly to break loose, then pull along the axis to remove.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

kevinharrop (11-04-2017),tsingson (11-04-2017)

Drives
    2000 Special Edition
    Thanks Given
    Well, they are on there pretty tight.

Thanks Given
    You do not need to remove the wood piece from your e-brake handle. Take the screw out of the plastic pieces surrounding the base, remove them and you will see a nut sticking up with a keeper on it. That is the adjustment for your cable. Before you do that though, adjust the rear calipers. Once that's done if the handle is still riding high you can adjust the cable from inside.

Drives
    2000 Special Edition
    Thanks Given
    Do I need to remove the handle to install the Redline boot?

Thanks Given
    You just pull it on over the e-brake handle. You do have to remove the shift knob and center console to install the shift boot. If you go to Redline's site they have fairly detailed instructions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-10-2017)

Drives
    2000 Special Edition
    Thanks Given
    Chief,

On another subject, your LE still has the front wing badges on it. Mine were removed presumably due to some painting.

I got them with the car, they are not too knackered. I don't suppose that I'll be able to buy fresh replacements, but you never know. If I can find a body shop that thinks it could re-adhere the badges I might go for it.

But I would need dimensions to place them where they belong. Could you help me out? I think a datum of how far back they are from the wheel centers would be easy enough to get, at least with a good sized framing square to help. Height might be a bit more difficult if, as I suspect, you have lowered your car.

And don't think for a minute that I am in a hurry!

Thanks.

Thanks Given
    So, back home (finally). I made a few small purchases before I came home. A set of 949 valve stem seals (since I don't know what was used in the P&P head I bought) along with a couple of tools to make the job easier. Today when I bought my wife her daily Starbucks tea I also picked up a straw. This will become clear once I start the job and post some pictures. What, you didn't think I would post pictures?

Thanks Given
    Miata: Finally got started on the cylinder head. Here are the main tools I used:

Here are the seals:

949 uses the same exact seal for both intake and exhaust valves. I removed the keepers, retainers and springs on the intake side first, here is what that looked like:

Compress the spring with the first tool until the keepers are clear of the groove they fit in, then remove them (I used a small magnet to grab them). I used the same magnet to pull out the retainer and spring. I then grabbed the seal with the removal tool, rocking it slightly side to side until the seal popped out. It was good I did this as the very first seal was completely torn. Not sure when this happened but I would have had a massive leak for sure.

After cleaning everything up I proceeded to install the new seals. First I used some engine oil to lubricate the seals so they would go into place with no damage. Then I unwrapped the straw and put it to use, here is how:

Had to fold it a little to get it started in the seal. You then push the straw down over the valve stem and use a 10mm socket to seat the seal, like so:

This keeps the groove at the top of the valve stem from tearing the seal. I was able to push the seals in place with my thumbs, but I did take the precaution of tapping on the socket with a dead-blow hammer. A couple of them weren't quite all the way home so it was good I did this step. All that has to be done then is to put the spring, retainer and keepers back into place. There should be a thin metal washer below the spring, this is the lower spring seat (it gives protection for the aluminum of the head from the spring). I found one missing so ordered a complete set. One thing to note, the springs go into the head with the coils that are the tightest down (you will know when you see this). I found four of mine installed wrong. I tried putting the keepers in by hand but it's very difficult. Instead I used a little trick I read about which is to use some plastic (I used a storage bag). You place the plastic over the top of the retainer once the keepers are in place. Then use the spring compressor and compress the spring until the keepers fall into the groove on the stem. Works great. For now I have everything assembled except for the one valve that was missing the lower seat. Once I get the parts in I will redo all of them as several looked as though someone had taken a Dremel to them and hogged them out. Maybe that is how they are, but I seriously doubt it.

Apologies for the picture quality, all of our good cameras had no battery so I was forced to use my phone.

I also managed to locate my old shift and e-brake boots so put those back on, along with the console lid that had leather on it.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 12-18-2017 at 03:10 PM.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-18-2017),kevinharrop (12-18-2017),kung fu jesus (12-22-2017),MiataQuest (12-18-2017),Paul B (12-25-2017),Slampen (12-19-2017),tsingson (12-18-2017)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

This ain't no build thread!

To reinstall the keepers, I use a slightly magnetic electronics flat head screwdriver. I put a dab of assembly grease on the concave face of the keeper, sometimes the blade of the screwdriver blade for extra adhesion. Compress the valve assembly to expose the valve stem relief, place the keepers on. You can see and feel when keepers are in the relief, they won’t slide down. Once in place, release the compressor cleanly, in one quick motion. Look to see that the retainer seated around the keepers. If it doesn’t (and it’s rare that it won’t), decompress with the tool and check the keeper position again. Sometimes just cycling the compressor tool again will seat everything just fine.

Head work is repetitious, nuanced, but I find it strangely satisfying.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 12-22-2017 at 12:57 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-24-2017),chiefmg (12-24-2017)

Thanks Given
    That's a good method too. I liked the one I used in this case, once I gave it a shot it was very easy. I'll be taking some pictures of the missing steps when I redo this to install the lower spring seats.

I feel the same way about repetitious work. You can get into a zone where you just do the work while the back of your mind thinks of other things. When it is all done you have that sense of satisfaction. Dare I call it Zen?

Of course if you get the job done, put it all together and then it explodes in your face, you might feel something else...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (12-24-2017)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Not germain but this reminds of that University of Washington study where they gave children one piece of chocolate with the promise that if they could wait five minutes, they would receive a second piece, a test of human perception of the future. Some of the kids ate the first piece right away while others employed self-distraction techniques in order to pass the time for the reward.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I describe head work as zen, too.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Yeah but then came Amazon, credit and six months payment-free so now I’m back in that first group.

You should see my new TV though.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3841424344454647484950515253545558 ... LastLast