Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    2004 MSM #3693
    Thanks Given
    Hahaha. You've got it man!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Every time I read this thread I keep singing "this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around"

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! roy obanion's Avatar
    Drives
    Anything I can get my hands on!
    Thanks Given
    Man, we all think alike.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    I don't know whether to feel honored or insulted...
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Its always honored...never insulted...

Thanks Given
    You don't know this bunch the way I do...

Drives
    2004 MSM #3693
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    You don't know this bunch the way I do...
    Come now chief, you make it sound like we're a bunch of wild dingos looking to eat your baby.

Thanks Given
    Nah, more like gypsies looking to steal them!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! roy obanion's Avatar
    Drives
    Anything I can get my hands on!
    Thanks Given
    When did Mike's thread become you laugh, you lose? And I lost. Again.

Drives
    2004 MSM #3693
    Thanks Given
    When we spoke up?

Thanks Given
    Getting home over the weekend. Once I've settled in and gotten used to a lightning-fast connection I'll get this brought up to date. After all I have more work to do installing everything I bought this time out, or that I didn't get done last time home. Stay tuned...

Thanks Given
    Ok, made it home safely (that was an adventure, don't ever travel in Nigeria if you can help it). Have had my two week acclimatization period although it was rougher than usual due to the holidays. All visitors are gone and I have some quiet time, so on with the show!

Spare power steering pump arrived from The Parts Group so supercharger was in! What a PITA, there is truly no extra room for anything. The intake is via flex-hose, the plus for that is I won't have to worry about it vibrating on anything. Unfortunately the auto-tensioner ws resting on the power steering pump adjuster, I didn't see any way to move things around. Back to another e-mail to the previous owner. Did some other small things, including pulling back the wires for the TPS. For some bizarre reason when the harness was made at the factory, several of the wires were twisted around each other. This affected one of three wires on the plug, it looked like I'd have to cut it to pull it back without having any stress on it, then solder it back together and cover it with heat shrink. However, while searching around on the Moss site for instructions I saw where they said you could use something small to release the tab holding individual wires into the connectors. Basically you remove a white plastic lock, then using a small pry tool (jeweler's screwdriver for me) you gently pry up on the locking tab holding each wire plug in place and then pull it out of the connector. The locking tab is located on the side of the connector where the white plastic lock is, if you look inside you can barely see it. The first one was a bit of a fluke, second took a couple of minutes to find the sweet spot, and the third came free in about 30 seconds. Put some wire loom on that from the main harness to the plug, then put the loom on the main harness and taped everything up.

After searching around town and not finding any bolts the right size for the overlay pulley, I bought a M6 die nut. About 5 minutes worth of work, and I had four flanged M6 bolts threaded all the way up...that didn't work. I removed the stock pulley and nested the supercharger pulley on it to see what the problem was. That's when I saw that there was an additional 5mm or so of space between the two pulleys that I hadn't accounted for (I thought the overlay bottomed out on the stocker due to its shape). Back to Ace where I lucked out and found four flanged M6 X 35 bolts that were threaded all the way up. That was what it took to get the overlay pulley in place. Or so I thought at the time.

Thanks Given
    Started putting the gauges in, got the vacuum line for the boost gauge run into the cabin (via an exist hole for a previous installation) and the big line for the wideband. Put that one through the large gray wiring plug on the driver's side, I used some silicone to seal up the slit around the cable. If I were smarter I would have done this before I put the dash back in, would have been a lot easier. Next issue was finding some of the correct size wire to make extensions in order to wire them up to power and lighting, Ace didn't have what I needed and neither did Harbor Freight (although I did get a heat gun for use in the garage as the wife's hairdryer doesn't really cut it).

Without any wire available in my neck of the woods I decided to cut up the stock harness I replaced and use pieces of that. Put some extensions on my gauge wires so they would reach under the dash, twisted/soldered the wires together and put heat shrink over the connections. Painted the bezel of the boost gauge to match the wideband gauge (decided to go with black), once it was dry I had both gauges in just needing the power connections. Got some info from a guy on MT.net night concerning the relocation brackets for the intercooler, had to finally buy WinZip and got tired of waiting for them to send me my registration info so I took a look at the puzzle and put it together. I used the wear and corrosion marks on the brackets (and some common sense) and got it all in. I did have to cut some reliefs in the lower radiator support brackets, after that I was looking at the pictures the guy had sent and there were supposed to be two taper head Allen bolts for the one bracket which would have prevented me from having to do that. BRP truly did make it so you wouldn't have to cut anything up. The hardest part was bending the A/C dryer from in front of the condenser to beside it. I did find out that neither of the intercooler pipes can be in place when putting the radiator in, it's that tight.

Thanks Given
    Got all three new belts, the PS belt was too long (I thought) so I took it back and exchanged it for one that (according to what I read) was the right length. It was too short! I wondered if I just didn't have things set up correctly and the first one was actually the right one.

Cleaned up the bottom of the front subframe and inside the lower splash pan, when I had the oil filter relocation kit installed and it was leaking the oil ended up down there and attracted a lot of grit. Pulled back the IAT wires as the new sensor is located on the intercooler outlet pipe, I tried removing the wires from the supplied connector so I could do a neat job without splicing but I couldn't figure out how to undo the latching pin. Pulled the sparkplugs and gapped them properly, when I had that back in I cleaned the blue marking paint off the tops of the COPs. Mounted both Spal fans on the shroud, when I bought the nylock nuts for that initially Ace only had 7 and I needed 8. When I got it today it turned out the new nut took an 11mm wrench, since I hate having different size fasteners on the same pieces I bought another 7 when I made my second trip. Unfortunately due to the way Mazda made one of the stock fans (with the connector as part of the motor) I can't reuse stock connectors. Nobody local has any automotive connectors so I ended up running to Radio Shack. I did find out I can't install the radiator with the fan shroud on (or at least not easily) so that's a step ahead. It will be a little bit of a PITA getting the weatherstrip foam I have to seal around the edges in, I'll just have to lay on the floor to do the bottom. I did buy the correct flat head Allen screws for the sway bar brackets, at some point I'll source the lower radiator supports and replace the ones I cut up.

Thanks Given
    Got the undertray and front bumper on. Undertray has all the fasteners on it for the first time (some were missing). Zip-tied my boost sensing line in the engine bay. Scouted around town for an air filter but no one had what I needed, so that got ordered. That evening I put the fan back in under the dash (removed it to run the boost sensing line), did the sagging glovebox door fix, and installed new rotors/pads all the way around. I'm happy to report that I had no issues with any of the pins on the calipers, all were clean and had some lube on them. Finally got my gauges hooked up, still needed to figure out where to connect the wires to permit them to dim when the lights are on. I ended up using two of those add-a-circuit pieces for the power, put the one that needed constant power in the hazard slot and the accessory powered wires went into the radio slot. Wideband sensor was calibrated, midpipe put back in (could have actually had the wideband sensor installed a little more to the 12 o-clock position) along with my front subframe brace. Replaced the butterfly brace midsection and then bled the brakes using my Motive unit with the Miata-specific adapter. That wa be the first time for that, it worked pretty well although I didn't have any air in the system (when I push the pistons back into the calipers I open the bleed screw and then close it before it sucks anything back into the system). Wheels were on and car was on the floor. Now if I could only start the damn thing!

Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast