Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brake Pad Reviews

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! AntiochOG's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    Porterfield R4S front and rear - When cold they are pretty much equivalent to stock/OEM pads however; if you drive slightly aggressively and get them warm they grab 1000 times better than stock and slow the car down in a hurry. Never ever fade (in my use), made quite a bit of dust at first but, now there isn't as much, no squealing. I would buy these pads again.
    I've got these too. When they are warmed up they are awesome. However I disagree slightly about their cold performance. I feel like they grab a little less than stock when cold. Totally streetable, but in the future I will probably look for something with a little more bite cold since most of my driving is on the street. I don't think the noise are dust are bad at all.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power iRoadster's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tanakapz View Post
    Where do you guys seems to find the Axxis ULTs? I can't find a reliable source D:
    Goodwin Racing.

Rev's post summed up ULT's perfectly.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! AARP's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoadster View Post
    Goodwin Racing.

Rev's post summed up ULT's perfectly.
    Last time I checked they were out of stock.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by AARP View Post
    Last time I checked they were out of stock.
    I feel like they have changed names or are slowly becoming extinct. I've got like 40% left on my last set will miss them for winter street duty if I can't find more.

Thanks Given
    Axxis is also known as PBR, maybe that's part of it.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoadster View Post
    Axxis is also known as PBR, maybe that's part of it.
    When I got them through Eddie at AR the fronts and rears came in two different styles of boxes. One was the typical grey Axxis Ult and one was a Black PBR. Both visually looked like the same product and performed fine.

Thanks Given
    I've always heard they were the exact same product, just different packaging.
    The first set I got a couple years ago came in the gray Axxis boxes, and the ones I put on a couple months ago came in the black PBR packaging.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch pmhaddad's Avatar
    Drives
    10AE
    Thanks Given
    Post in here your experiences with different types of pads.

To start off, what would be a recommended pad for a daily driver that does monthly canyon runs and occasional track use? I'm torn between Hawk HPS or HP+/Carbotech AX6 or XP8.
    The XP8 isn't a street pad. AX6 is where I would start, I just put HP+ on my car that sees DD/Track use. HPS won't last more than a couple laps on the track. Really the best thing to do is swap pads at the track if you can. I expect this brand new set of HP+ F/R to last 2 track days at most with DD and some Autox in between.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! AARP's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    How's the bedding in process for Carbotechs? Where would one go besides the track to bed them in?

Drives
    10AE
    Thanks Given
    How's the bedding in process for Carbotechs? Where would one go besides the track to bed them in?
    To properly bed in pads you have to do it at the track. Especially the XP pads. I got away with bedding my HP+'s on the street, but I don't like doing it that way. Plus as soon as they get hot you are sitting on the side of the road til they cool down. If you have a local road with low traffic you could try, but those XP pads HAVE to be bedded in at race speeds to function properly. You could probably get away with bedding the AX6 on the street, as it is pretty comparable to the HP+.

Or you could save yourself a lot of hassle and money and just get HP+'s, great dual purpose pad - IMO.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlnb's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Or Axxis if it's dual purpose on a small track. It's a pretty versatile pad

Thanks Given
    Cobalt Friction. Spendy but excellent products. Technically do not need to be bedded in either. Put your hawks on the shelf and step up to real pads.

Xr3 fronts 16, yes sixteen, track days later (stock power). Exposed to the rivets but still useable. Could squeeze another day or two out of them.

Drives
    10AE
    Thanks Given
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but those don't seem like a dual purpose pad either. Comparable to the XP8, even though it has a cold operating temp, how is the bite when cold? Do you street them? I was seriously considering these pads as they were a bit cheaper than the XP8s, but I still thought they would probably be too aggressive for daily use. Plus I got my HP+ F/R for about the same price as a set of XR3 fronts... which is a huge savings. Might not last me as long, but its still like half the price.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Bummer's Avatar
    Drives
    '93 Red, VVT, Haltech, Xida 6ULx9
    Thanks Given
    It's pretty hard to recommend pads for "occasional track use." If you are lapping all out for 30 minutes, or making passes in the braking zone, you need a lot higher temp pad than 90% of the people I've run into at lapping days and "street schools." I would say more than 50% of people at a typical track day can get away with OEM quite easily. More than 75% can get away with a mild upgrade like the EBC Green, (decent wear and easy dust clean-up). The remainder can benefit from a truly aggressive "street" pad, of which a few good ones were discussed, already.

The truth is (or should be) only the most aggressive drivers (top 25%?) will contribute to this thread, because they have actually experienced braking problems and needed upgraded pads.

So, what is your driving style on the track? Are you the last of the great late brakers? Threshold braking every turn and trail-braking to the edge of reason? Or, do you sort of roll off the throttle, brake to near turn-down, then roll back on throttle? How much power do you have? Are you slowing the car from 160mph on the straights?

I generally recommend EBC Green or Yellow to people until the prove they need something more. If you're like me, and seemingly try to set the lap record with every lap, then there is no dual-purpose pad - You may need a dedicated pad (and rotors) like Hawk DTC 60, or the Cobalt XR3 referrenced above.
    Last edited by Bummer; 01-08-2012 at 10:12 AM.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power f86sabjf's Avatar
    Drives
    02nb crystal blue metallic
    Thanks Given
    Running Porterfiels R4S on front and rear. The pad makes no noise and at all . Light to med dust and although i might overheat them at an hpde day and they oper temp goes to 1100 so i seriously doubt i'll over heat them on the street. Even with stock rubber lines these pads grab predictably at any level. I am looking at moving to the xp8 next time just to change it up.

A little worried about the xp8's cold temp bite though 250Deg might not be the right pad for me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast