Thread: What is the best engine swap for a Miata?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wolf View Post
    Fuck you guys are way too nice. I'd have told him to eat shit and die. And then provided my answer.

If you're poor, 5.0 swap. It's solid and the engine is dirt cheap and simple, and stupid cheap to mod. However it's heavy... and its power gains from factory motor specs aren't worth it for the average douche.

LSx if you have some extra cash, it's lighter than the 5.0, more power... but again... it costs more.. a good fucking chunk more.

13B if you're a delusional fucking retard. Only a couple guys have been able to do it successfully, and there's a few threads all over the place of people take it on with no success. If you have no prior car history or mods. Kiss this good bye.

Really the only ones worth mentioning... other guys will say V6, but fuck them. That's gay.

I'd also highly research the option for turbo-ing your car.

now go kill yourself

EDIT: but fucking seriously, we aren't going to write the shit that's already been written about. Google it, it's on plenty of other forums and there's a thread I started on CR that went IN DEPTH about motor swaps. Probably one of the best full blown discussions about it.

I was actually thinking about that thread. You went into a really deep discussion between supercharging, turbo'ing, and engine swap. I'm with you on the 13B, you have to be really ballsy to do that and if you do a V6... well... ya... no...

*edit* Just found a thread where someone did a GTO 4.7 V8 swap in 3 months. Here is their cost.
    Engine/trans/all accessories (and even the pedals) - $4750
    V8R Parts (Engine mounting standard location subframe, clutch/flywheel, clutch hydraulics, oil pan, Getrag G1 driveline kit, driveshaft, axles, mounts) - $5046
    Rear Diff (CTS 3.23 from local junkyard) - $302
    Power steering fittings and lines - $57
    Water pump/Head kit - $313
    ARP Bolt kits - $65
    F-body shifter - $100
    New Tie Rod Ends - $105
    TSP 224R Package (Cam, springs, pushrods) - $625
    Texas Speed OTS Tune (remove VATS, remove rear O2, second gear lock out, cam grind) - $225
    Texas Speed ASP Pulley - $155
    HP Tuners - $650
    Intake (aluminum pipe, AEM filter) - $125
    Flyin miata stuff (NB Fuel kit, flywheel cover, headers, oil adapter) - $1017
    Calico Coatings ceramic header coating - $231.75
    Exhaust (made by Sean) - $966
    Hose kit (pieced from Advanced Auto parts) - $125
    Fluids (oil, trans, and diff fluid) - $82

So about 15k but can be done cheaper without cam, new gaskets, HP tuners, etc

Now they did everything themselves. Are you up for spending that much and doing all that work?
    Last edited by I<3flippyheadlights; 12-24-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!