Thread: What is the best engine swap for a Miata?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    Of all of these comments, how many are from people that have ACTUALLY done the swap, or ANY type of swap? Practical and theoretical applications are completely different when you are the one doing the work and spending your money.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maharaj For This Useful Post:

charchri4 (12-11-2013)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    ^^^^^ True, very true. The only swap I done was dropping a 406 small block Chevy into a my 69 camaro and that is the easy part.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by maharaj View Post
    Of all of these comments, how many are from people that have ACTUALLY done the swap, or ANY type of swap? Practical and theoretical applications are completely different when you are the one doing the work and spending your money.

I've done a swap or 12.

It's not even cheap to swap a Honda if you're going to do it right, and that's about as cheap as it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

Idling - Listen to it purr... vr6miata's Avatar
    Drives
    VR6 Turbo Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by maharaj View Post
    That is the truth, a swap is kinda what each person wants to do. It is sometimes a way of expressing something that is one of a kind. My first miata in early 2000's was a 13b turbo with somewhere around 500hp but isn't reliable and a lot is involved in the swap. My current miata has a VW vr6 turbo over 325hp at the tire kept miata handling and less weight than LS swap. Stock motor is proven good for over 500hp and reliable by VW racers but requires a lot of fabrication to do swap.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6miata View Post
    That is the truth, a swap is kinda what each person wants to do. It is sometimes a way of expressing something that is one of a kind. My first miata in early 2000's was a 13b turbo with somewhere around 500hp but isn't reliable and a lot is involved in the swap. My current miata has a VW vr6 turbo over 325hp at the tire kept miata handling and less weight than LS swap. Stock motor is proven good for over 500hp and reliable by VW racers but requires a lot of fabrication to do swap.

Hey Danny, we missed you at the Ricks On The River meet in Tampa, I heard you got the car painted now! Can't wait to see the shiny new paint with that widebody!