Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best engine swap for a Miata?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    ^^^^^ True, very true. The only swap I done was dropping a 406 small block Chevy into a my 69 camaro and that is the easy part.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Dear OP,

I've ready through all of your threads, from "Which lowering springs" to comments "What front splitter is this?" This is not meant to flame you, but rather to give you some strong advice.

First, please create a build thread where you also tell us a little about yourself. What do you do for a living? Do you have a garage that you can work in? Tools? What is your level of mechanical skill? How many cars have you owned and modified in the past? What is your goal? If you're making $9 an hour and this is your first car, 99% of the people on here will tell you not to get into a motor swap because you'll be in way over your head. (I'm guessing DK might be the 1% that encourages you to do it as it would be somewhat fun to watch....)

Its really important that, early on, you assess the following big three:
    1.) What do I want the car to do?
    2.) What is my current skill level?
    3.) What is my budget?

All three of these will likely change over the course of your vehicle ownership, but its important to look at them carefully and plan around them. The forums are a great place to help get ideas for #1, get better with #2, and completely blow #3 (although deals are sometimes out there!)

Now that you've established these, its time to start looking at the maintenance. Most people who buy a "new to me-otter" car tend to forget that its been owned by someone else for the past 20(ish) years. There are a lot of parts that wear out, and although the car will run and drive, it will run and drive much better when parts that wear are brought back up to spec.

Even before buying my miata, I started looking into the maintenance that needs to be done. Here's a decent thread on that topic:
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....7474#post47474

Some of the maintenance items will provide a good time to do complimentary mods. Point in case: I know I need new shocks. Sure, I could throw el-cheapo Monroe shocks at it for $60 / shock, but I want to improve upon the original design. That means:
    1.) clean factory springs (mine have surface rust, and a friend had a clean set)
    2.) Koni Sport shocks ($516)
    3.) FCM bumpstops ($100)
    4.) New dust boots ($25)
    5.) New alignment bolts ($90)

That's $731 before shipping... but its all maintenance that will replace worn out parts with new parts that will make my miata more enjoyable for how I use it (autocross in a stock class.) It will handle much better than how I bought it.

For a simple project to start with, why not take apart your shifter and see if you have any bushings left? That's a good $90 VERY easy project. You've been asking about springs and bigger motors and race splitters... it sounds like you plan to race the car? Have you ever raced before? (Based on your questions, I'm guessing that you haven't ever raced in a sanctioned event... maybe a good idea to try that first? A true race car is rarely driven on the street.)

Just some food for thought.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

charchri4 (12-11-2013)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 428 Posts
    i grew up with rotary and yes i love it but, yes it has terrible reliability. but that still wont stop me from wanting to swap one in. its really your personal reference and money.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by maharaj View Post
    Of all of these comments, how many are from people that have ACTUALLY done the swap, or ANY type of swap? Practical and theoretical applications are completely different when you are the one doing the work and spending your money.

I've done a swap or 12.

It's not even cheap to swap a Honda if you're going to do it right, and that's about as cheap as it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Dear OP,

I've ready through all of your threads, from "Which lowering springs" to comments "What front splitter is this?" This is not meant to flame you, but rather to give you some strong advice.

First, please create a build thread where you also tell us a little about yourself. What do you do for a living? Do you have a garage that you can work in? Tools? What is your level of mechanical skill? How many cars have you owned and modified in the past? What is your goal? If you're making $9 an hour and this is your first car, 99% of the people on here will tell you not to get into a motor swap because you'll be in way over your head. (I'm guessing DK might be the 1% that encourages you to do it as it would be somewhat fun to watch....)

Its really important that, early on, you assess the following big three:
    1.) What do I want the car to do?
    2.) What is my current skill level?
    3.) What is my budget?

All three of these will likely change over the course of your vehicle ownership, but its important to look at them carefully and plan around them. The forums are a great place to help get ideas for #1, get better with #2, and completely blow #3 (although deals are sometimes out there!)

Now that you've established these, its time to start looking at the maintenance. Most people who buy a "new to me-otter" car tend to forget that its been owned by someone else for the past 20(ish) years. There are a lot of parts that wear out, and although the car will run and drive, it will run and drive much better when parts that wear are brought back up to spec.

Even before buying my miata, I started looking into the maintenance that needs to be done. Here's a decent thread on that topic:
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....7474#post47474

Some of the maintenance items will provide a good time to do complimentary mods. Point in case: I know I need new shocks. Sure, I could throw el-cheapo Monroe shocks at it for $60 / shock, but I want to improve upon the original design. That means:
    1.) clean factory springs (mine have surface rust, and a friend had a clean set)
    2.) Koni Sport shocks ($516)
    3.) FCM bumpstops ($100)
    4.) New dust boots ($25)
    5.) New alignment bolts ($90)

That's $731 before shipping... but its all maintenance that will replace worn out parts with new parts that will make my miata more enjoyable for how I use it (autocross in a stock class.) It will handle much better than how I bought it.

For a simple project to start with, why not take apart your shifter and see if you have any bushings left? That's a good $90 VERY easy project. You've been asking about springs and bigger motors and race splitters... it sounds like you plan to race the car? Have you ever raced before? (Based on your questions, I'm guessing that you haven't ever raced in a sanctioned event... maybe a good idea to try that first? A true race car is rarely driven on the street.)

Just some food for thought.
    Couldn't agree more. This engine swap isn't for the faint of heart. Not trying to discourage you but it can, no let me change that, it will get discouraging. Things don't always line up properly or fit as they do on paper or on someone elses car. You've got to be able to fabricate and adapt certain parts. As you are doing now, a good amount of planning and research is required. Talk to people that have done the LS, t5.0 and even the rotary swap. Find out from those individuals what were their reasons for going the route they did and learn from their mistakes.

Idling - Listen to it purr... vr6miata's Avatar
    Drives
    VR6 Turbo Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by maharaj View Post
    Of all of these comments, how many are from people that have ACTUALLY done the swap, or ANY type of swap? Practical and theoretical applications are completely different when you are the one doing the work and spending your money.
    That is the truth, a swap is kinda what each person wants to do. It is sometimes a way of expressing something that is one of a kind. My first miata in early 2000's was a 13b turbo with somewhere around 500hp but isn't reliable and a lot is involved in the swap. My current miata has a VW vr6 turbo over 325hp at the tire kept miata handling and less weight than LS swap. Stock motor is proven good for over 500hp and reliable by VW racers but requires a lot of fabrication to do swap.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6miata View Post
    That is the truth, a swap is kinda what each person wants to do. It is sometimes a way of expressing something that is one of a kind. My first miata in early 2000's was a 13b turbo with somewhere around 500hp but isn't reliable and a lot is involved in the swap. My current miata has a VW vr6 turbo over 325hp at the tire kept miata handling and less weight than LS swap. Stock motor is proven good for over 500hp and reliable by VW racers but requires a lot of fabrication to do swap.

Hey Danny, we missed you at the Ricks On The River meet in Tampa, I heard you got the car painted now! Can't wait to see the shiny new paint with that widebody!

Drives
    LFX ND
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post

BTW Chris, not to be a jerk but why would you choose Bossfrog when V8Roadsters is right here in our backyard? unk577 can tell you they do tons of swaps here locally.

Thank you. I can not say enough good things about the guys or parts from v8 roadsters. Their parts are quality and they stand behind them. I know I keep saying it will be done this month but hopefully it will be on the road soon. If both guys are in town this week I'll see if I can talk them into coming out Wednesday.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Do they have a V8 NC out here in Tampa by chance?

Drives
    LFX ND
    Thanks Given
    I don't believe so.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Johnnie's Avatar
    Drives
    06 NC
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Do they have a V8 NC out here in Tampa by chance?
    If I had a pot of money, an LS-swapped NC would be very appealing.
    John Evans
    >>>Li'l Stinker<<< https://www.facebook.com/litllestinker
    06 MX-5 Miata 6MT-- Quaife LSD >>>Li'l Stinker on MR.net<<<

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 3MiataFamily's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Well..lots of opinions here...

Fellow Clubmember spent about 4 years and right at $12k on his LS1 swap..not counting paint..and the car is phenomenal...i have driven it..pretty much lived in it for 12 days this past September on the Fireball run..(www.fireballrun.com)..( http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....thern-Exposure) and can say that hands down the Boss Frog kit is well thought out..beautifully fabricated and easy to install. The hard part is finding the motor..(98 vette LS1)..trans.(.02 Camaro T56)..the rear end..(04 Cobra 3.73)..Griffin Radiator..and getting all the little shit things taken care of..GPS speedo with matching tach is an awesome piece...exhaust is a PITA...all the while earning a living, supporting the family, Cub scouts, Boy scouts, honeydo lists etc..etc. Having friends with skills to help out is a big plus. Buying, fixing and selling 12 Miatas in 2 years helped a lot too. Not for the faint of heart...or the light of wallet by any means.
    President Nutmeg Miata Club/94 C pkg/163k/VMaxx/RB header/exhaust/NEW PAINT!/RB sways/OZ Racing Starlights/Boss Frog Twin

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    All this information is posted on the thread I made in CR. Go PM a mod and ask them to reveal my old thread. It was titled something like "The ultimate V8 vs Forced induction thread" and essentially we talked about all the major motor swaps and the alternative to forced induction. In the end, forced induction made much more sense.

Those nazi bastards should also unblock that anti theft thread I made on CR. It was like gods bible to the retard on how to protect his car.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1995 White Miata/2008 Mazda 3s
    Thanks Given
    I always wondered, what happened with you over there? Why were you perm. banned?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    Yes... permabanned fo' lyfuh.

CR got too insanely gay, and I couldn't help myself short of calling anyone who said something stupid something derogatory and it was pissing the mods off... And since there's really an abundances of retardation, I did it quite often.
    Plus, some mysterious soul who spammed gore pics didn't help my case either.

Only good thing about CR is probably their for sale section. Otherwise I'm not really missing much.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast