Thread: All your Motorsports questions answered.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

All your Motorsports questions answered.

I get asked all_the_time,”how do get involved in <autocross/HPDE/time attack/time trials/drifting>?”

I wanted a thread where people can ask questions about this, no judgements, and get solid answers from experienced members.

No question is stupid.

The answers may vary on experience and opinion, but this is where you can narrow down your questions to help you get started.

I encourage experienced drivers to participate!

Real questions, real answers.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-11-2019),Slampen (08-11-2019),tsingson (08-13-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Participating in a trackday is something that is on my bucket list.

Question #1
    I have received limited school instruction from a "Mazda Rev It Up" event a while back and I have attended several road rally's in my old Audi 5000 Quattro.
    For my first time trackday should I attend "driving school" or just go try the "Novice" class?

Question #2
    My Miata is still not ready due to work and other commitments.
    It may be a year for it to be road worthy, let alone track worthy.
    But my 136 horsepower super slow 1979 Ford Thunderbird is all sorted. With 225/55-17 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires, HD shocks & sway bars it does turn well.
    Other than the embarrassment, should I try using it for a trackday or wait for the Miata to be completed?
    Last edited by MiataQuest; 08-12-2019 at 09:57 AM.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    If the driving school is anything similar to NASA's HPDE, definitely start there and not just novice.

Being on a track can be intimidating, especially in a roadster. Most of the time you're on there with cars much faster than you, so knowing all of the flag rules, steward stations, passing zones, passing rules, etc. is critical. HPDE style schools usually start off with an instructor. This is super helpful to get comfortable to paying attention to everyone and everything that's happening during your session.

TL;DR: Start with whichever level assigns you an instructor.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadster7 For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-12-2019),MiataQuest (08-12-2019)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

All your Motorsports questions answered.

Re #1:

Look for instruction with your next event. It usually takes 3-5 events to have the situational awareness to be out on a track safely by yourself.

A lot of HPDE promoters will ask you for a sample of your recent past events. They will want to know who (organization), when, and where you drove. A lot of promoters use the same registration sites and they can check your ‘resume’ or history, including notes that may have been entered under your profile (some of this you cannot see).

If they are unsure where your experience lies, they will often class you down a group so one of their instructors can evaluate you.

Re #2:

I would wait until the car you WANT to track is ready. Some of these events are a little pricey so think of it as visiting a fine restaurant; take the person you would want to dine with to enhance or compliment the experience.

Unsolicited:

A lot of the circles I run in, there are certain HPDE events or promoters that are pretty questionable. One of these is a well-known club that hosts abbreviated events in the evenings across the country. Participants are able to self-class themselves and the results are pretty dangerous. A close friend of mine with a competition license took his weekend car to one of these, wound up getting spun into a wall, crashing, because another driver was in that advanced group had no business being in it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (08-12-2019),Roadster7 (08-12-2019),tsingson (08-13-2019)