Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Flyin 92's "Modern-Classic" build thread

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Flyin 92's Avatar
    Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given

Flyin 92's "Modern-Classic" build thread

Apparently I didn't update my last build thread enough so it go deleted lol I'll try not to let it happen again. I'm sure a lot of you have seen my "build" on CR, but for those of you who haven't..... you haven't missed much. I'll give the nitty gritty condensed version. Let's get this show on the road. A few of the pics aren't going to be in order, but they do do a better job at representing the changes.

Here's a little background on my '92 Crystal White B-package. Her name is Kimi, which in Japanese means "She who is without equal". Thought it was a neat name as I don't feel I'll ever have an attachment to another car like I do with her. She's my first and only car that I've owned since I was 16. She was the first car I ever drove. No sooner did I turn 14 did my dad take me to the HS parking lot to teach me how to drive a manual. After that it was only a matter of time until I could driver on public roads. She remained stock as a rock until I could find I job that would pay me enough to start adding mods and whatnot.

Fast forward to 2009 and this is how she sat. Cheap wheels in both cost (free) and quality, TSIs (sold), 1028 mirrors (sold), F/R R-pkg lips, Carbing vertical tow hook and few miscellaneous interior bits.

Jump ahead to 2011. Most of the mods were the same with the addition of Runabout S800 mirrors and shory mud flaps. This is one of the last pics I took before I went to AF basic training in August of 2011.

After basic I spent a few months at Keesler AFB, MS for tech school. I went home for a few days over Christmas break and installed Revlimiter's Revolver gauges and a KGW cluster. Then I was off to the Azores, Portugal for my first duty location. Came home in August of '12 for some R&R and installed a few goodies I ordered and take a first look at the ones that were installed before I got home. One of my favorite additions to this day are the 14x6.5 et 14.5 Mag Wats I picked up from Kung Fu Jesus. I also had my HDHCDDHT installed.

Wats still in the box.... yeah...... I creamed myself

On the car.

Here's a shot of the Revlimiter HVAC panel, Rspeed vent rings (brushed), RS Products toggle switches and my awesome VooDoo knob.

The gauges and KGW panel. I will admit I stole that combo from Sharka.

And one final shot of the car with my brother's Leggy 5-spd GT before I headed back to Europe.

And that's where the picture taking and fun ends

Here's a list and few pics of the parts I've acquired since August.

Dope JDM floor mats to replace my worn out stock shizz, Runabout Type-1 fuel lid and a virtually brand new Nardi Classic wheel with black spokes. I haven't seen the floor mats or fuel lid installed. I'll install the Nardi when I get home. My brother is supposed to send pics sometime soon so I can see and whore out the new steeze.

The next big ticket item I'm going to install when I get home are the FCM coils I ordered yesterday. After talking with Shaikh we settled on 500/350 lb springs (9k/6k). I'm going to pair them with a tubular RB front sway and decide whether or not to keep the rear.

I'm hoping my next update will have pics of the new stuff. Like I said, it will be the first time I've seen them on the car. Until then I'll be continuing to the pass the time getting everything in order so I can get ready to leave. I'm headed to Hurlburt Field after this so if any of you 850 guys are in the area hit me up. I would be nice to meet some new miata people and go to meets and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"
    Link to the most lack-luster build in MR history

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-30-2015),Phatmiata (04-26-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Johnnie's Avatar
    Drives
    06 NC
    Thanks Given
    Nice! Loving the RS Watanabes and the gauge faces. Classic!
    John Evans
    >>>Li'l Stinker<<< https://www.facebook.com/litllestinker
    06 MX-5 Miata 6MT-- Quaife LSD >>>Li'l Stinker on MR.net<<<

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Red 92 base with a/c
    Thanks Given
    Cool build! You have got some nice quality parts on your car boss! Be safe in Europe and thank you for serving!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iamdallas's Avatar
    Thanks Given

Re: Flyin 92's "Modern-Classic" build thread

Your car is very similar to mine!

I'm loving those Wats!

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the kind words everyone I'm getting ever closer to reuniting with the car and making this thread worth reading with picture updates instead of lame paragraphs lol
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Ok ya'll need a little input. I'm considering selling/trading the Wats for something that flow better with the car. I love the Wats, but I feel like the dark color clashes with the rest of the car. Out of the following list, which wheels do you think would be a good fit. I really want to keep with the retro theme so please no Rota, XXR, etc. I'd love authentic JDM Y0 wheelzzzzz, but if I find something else that works then I might consider them.

Here's what I have so far in no particular order:

Aluminum Wats with polished lip (same style different color) in either 15" or 14".
    BBS RS in a 15x7-8 +25 (or slightly higher)
    Enkei 92 in silver
    Star Sharks/Techno Phantoms (assuming I can find a set in decent condition)
    SSR MKII maybe MKIII

I know it's a short list with some super hard to find wheels, but it's not going to happen right this minute. I'll pursue it further once I get to Florida.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    I'd keep the Wats. I love dark wheels on a white car.

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    I've neglected this thread for too long. One of these days I'll leave this island and share some real updates and by “real” I mean updated pictures of parts and the car. Until then, the lackluster updates will continue

A few weeks ago I scored a RS Factory exhaust, which is chilling in my garage and thanks to DK Wolf I have a Maxim Works header on the way.
    I've tried bidding on a couple ARC chambers, but have yet to win a bid. I'm also in the hunt for an RB intake to complete the i/h/e combo. I'm debating on whether or not to get a 1.8 version in anticipation of going the way of the MSPNP sometime in the future.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Very Nice!

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    I'm in need of someone's dope photoshop skills. I want to see what these Wats look like on my car at stock height and with a slight drop (dropped thread material). Feel free to play with spoke color as well. I'd prefer gunmetal, dark silver or a light bronze/gold. If anyone would be willing to do that I would greatly appreciate it

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I'd love those damn magnesium watts. I personally don't understand how you would wanna change those for anything else. Btype wattanabes goes perfectly on NAs lol.

I'm excited for your fcm suspension. I'm sure it'll be awesome.

If I were you I'd consider looking into swift springs as a replacement for whatever springs he includes.

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    I'd love those damn magnesium watts. I personally don't understand how you would wanna change those for anything else. Btype wattanabes goes perfectly on NAs lol.

I'm excited for your fcm suspension. I'm sure it'll be awesome.

If I were you I'd consider looking into swift springs as a replacement for whatever springs he includes.
    The "new" wheels would be B-Types... just silver instead of turd brown lol

I've heard good things about Swift springs, but honestly couldn't tell you if they ride better than the standard springs he includes. Of course that all depends on if I ever get the coilovers in the mail. I ordered back in mid February and they still haven't arrived. 5-7 weeks my ass. Oh well. They'd still be sitting in the box till I got home anyway lol

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin 92 View Post
    The "new" wheels would be B-Types... just silver instead of turd brown lol

I've heard good things about Swift springs, but honestly couldn't tell you if they ride better than the standard springs he includes. Of course that all depends on if I ever get the coilovers in the mail. I ordered back in mid February and they still haven't arrived. 5-7 weeks my ass. Oh well. They'd still be sitting in the box till I got home anyway lol
    Haha I hear you on that. I just think the fact that they're magnesium makes em way cooler lmao.

Also I'd venture to say that they'll definitely be an improvement over the heavy springs he sources. Just an idea though lol.

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    Haha I hear you on that. I just think the fact that they're magnesium makes em way cooler lmao.

Also I'd venture to say that they'll definitely be an improvement over the heavy springs he sources. Just an idea though lol.
    Don't get me wrong I LOVE the mag wheels, but I can't help but feel that the silver/polished look would be better suited to my build. I have a friend who is an avid track driver and I'd love to see these wheels on his miata track car.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Have you made it to 1st SOW yet, or still stuck in the Azores? I spent a number of years in AFSOC at Hurlburt and Eglin. Good assignment to come back to the states with. Your car looks great and I am sure you will get your mods done asap.

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast