Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help creating a bov'd s/c setup please.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power imperfekt's Avatar
    Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    edit: i can keep the jrsc powercard but only if i don't run an intercooler, as the volume of air would be much less...

Quote Originally Posted by imperfekt View Post
    woo that's a bit of information to take in... i wrote a guy named braineack about his custom-built megasquirt ecu's who informed me that i could just keep the jrsc powercard and i'd just need to move the ait as close to the tb as possible?

Idling - Listen to it purr... Guitarjon's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Brianeak is a mod over on miata turbo and certainly knows his stuff about all things charged and ecus. I don't know enough to help you ou with power cards as I ran a afpr and reduced the base timing until I got my my megasquirt up and running.

I installed the intercooler with the afpr and reduced base timing which ultimately just made me slower but it was fine to run. So I guess the power cards are just a better version of an afpr as they add fuel under boost and do your power cards reduce timing too?
    Previous car: NA 1990 classic red jrsc m45 with 150mm crank, intercooler, DIY pnp ms2, 340 cc injectors and lts of other mods including chassis bracing, roll bar, bc coilovers, RB exhaust.

New car: 2.0 sport NC, sunlight silver, lowered, geo alignment,m
    Cosworth panel filter, r8 wiper mod, debadged rear with more to come.

Thanks Given
    Your talking about AITs. Do you actually air inlet temperature sensors? You would only need one of these if you are getting rid of your afm/ maf and are running something such as megasquirt to control timing based on air temperature. You dont need to run an air to run an intercooler but further down the line it would help as it would tell the ecu what air temperature was going into your engine and with an intercooler it will be cooler air hopefully.
    Previous car: NA 1990 classic red jrsc m45 with 150mm crank, intercooler, DIY pnp ms2, 340 cc injectors and lts of other mods including chassis bracing, roll bar, bc coilovers, RB exhaust.

Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    tbh, i like the output of the 1.8 as is... while the power gained from the sc is definitely a bonus, it's not the reason i want to get it. I want to drive around sounding B.A. like the video.

...because not-racecar

Thanks Given
    So are you wanting to add an intercooler or anything or just want to put a BOV in?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! brontosaurus's Avatar
    Drives
    a miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by adamvanxxx View Post
    Cjsafski, why did you decide to swap the positions of the TBs?
    There's a huge thread on m.net about this. Pretty much you're running the blower unthrottled the whole time. You can also run dual throttles for more benefits.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! adamvanxxx's Avatar
    Drives
    Beat NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by brontosaurus View Post
    There's a huge thread on m.net about this. Pretty much you're running the blower unthrottled the whole time. You can also run dual throttles for more benefits.
    I ended up finding some info on it, I don't need the info it just intrigued me.

Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    no intercooler. my buddy says it's not necessary for 5psi...

Thanks Given
    If your just wanting to install a BOV then you may be disapointed without the dual throttle bodies because there won't be any positive charged air inside the tubes when the throttle closes. Or if there is it will be minimal as the bypass valve does the work.

Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    i read that thread, and with the guy who has his setup like this: supercharger with bov.jpg supercharger with bov 2.jpg

his bov is welded onto the blower outlet? hmmm, i wonder if it has any sound to it like cja's video...
    Quote Originally Posted by brontosaurus View Post

Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    straight from the horses mouth...
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsafski View Post
    Lol that is my car. Mechanically it is pretty simple to do. Put the throttle body back in the stock location and use a knock off greddy bov. Hook up the normal port on the bov to manifold and the secondary to one of the charge pipes. Also the vaccum line that goes to the canister on the sc needs to be moved from the blower to the intake mani. However the next part may be an issue for you. Unless you want your car to run like crap, you need to run a standalone since the bovs vent a lot of air at all times. I actually moved to a dual throttle setup and no longer have the car set up like this.
    it doesn't sound super difficult. i just wanted to clarify the terminology meaning: can i make the assumptions that the "normal port" is the bottom flange and the "secondary" is the vacuum hose outlet. the "charge pipe" is the crossover pipe between the blower and the tb, and the "canister" is the bypass valve on the supercharger housing...?

Idling - Listen to it purr... VdizzleMyNizzle's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Sounds like alot of work just to put a BOV. I'm planning on running my supercharger kit as is. The whinning sound is good enough.
    (CR.net screen name JerryMouse4U)
    Hard Dog Double Diagonal, 15x8 XXR 501, Riceland Coilover W/ ISC Tophats For Now, Silver Hardtop (trading for a Emerald Green Mica/Black) Roadster Sport 2.5" Mid Pipe and 2.5"Exhaust, 37mm Koyo Radiator w/Mishimoto fan Shrouds,Mishimoto Radiator Hose, Custom Coolant Re-route, Flyin Miata Boost Gauge, Prosport Oil and Water Temp Gauges, AEM Uego Wideband, MOSS MP62 Supercharged

Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjon View Post
    If your just wanting to install a BOV then you may be disapointed without the dual throttle bodies because there won't be any positive charged air inside the tubes when the throttle closes. Or if there is it will be minimal as the bypass valve does the work.
    this just hit me (weeks later...) that you mean to assume I'll be following the installation instructions and moving the tb to a position ahead of the charger?

neh, i think i have to leave the tb in the stock location (attached to the intake manifold), find somewhere to put the bov in the cross bar between the charger and tb (no intercooler), and there will be nothing but a filter between the air and the charger's intake. ...basically, i want to treat the super like it's a belt-driven turbo: air will go into it, air will get pressurized between the blower and the tb/intake mani., and when the tb shuts, the bov will release excess pressure....

am i failing to understand something?

Idling - Listen to it purr... JakeLS01's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 Classic Red LS
    Thanks Given
    When you are all mentioning dual throttle bodies, are we talking two fully functional bodies? Or one functional (in stock location on intake manifold) and one "dummy" on the supercharger? Trying to understand all of this as I'm wanting to do a dual throttle body setup. However, all I get on other forums in dumb remarks to my question. Maybe y'all can be of better assistance.
    '01 S/C'ed Classic Red w/HT

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    It's a fair question and you're not going to be rediculed here. Yes, dual throttle bodies refers to two actual throttle bodies adjusted to work together via a custom cable setup, no dummy TB involved.

It's been discussed a lot on MX5nutz as well as a great writeup from a guy named GodlessCommie on another forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast