Thread: The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

So I figure it was time to start a build thread, the Daily Driven Warrior

First off, a little bit for history about myself:

I’ve been racing since I was 11 years old. I started out in Quarter Midgets and won many races in my short period of racing. I’m a track record holder at two tracks and my name is set in stone since those tracks are no longer around. I’m the 2003 Tangerine International winner, number one qualifier, and track record holder. I’m the 2004 Tampa Bay track champion and 2005 Florida State champion in both of my divisions. In 2006, I won my second Tangerine International, qualified number one, and track record holder at the second track. I hold a lot of track experience. I also have a lot to learn too.

I also raced Legends. That lasted 6 races before I decided that it was too much. Legends were too much of a cluster fuck. I was used for brakes since the car behind me had none. There where too many issues with Legends. I now race SCCA Spec Miata. I’m also looking into racing NSAS Spec Miata since it slightly cheaper and less Miatas to race against. I’m attending Valencia College and going after a Civil Engineering degree.

My Miata history:

My first Miata was a 93 NA White and I had it about two years before crashing it. I bought it as the third owner and did very little in mods. I bought a new soft top, replaced the radio and speakers, and bought some cheap rims for 400 bucks with tires. They where nice and kinda big on a NA. I liked how it looked. Just after getting out of high school, I ended up rear ended someone. I scratched the paint of a Ford Taurus and bent the rails in my Miata. I parked it and sold it later. (I have one picture of it. I have to find it later)

My next Miata was my father’s 97 NA M Edition Green. I drove it for almost two years. The only thing I done to it was installed Eibach springs and oil changes. The first time the car was damaged was when my father decided to back over the fender and hood. Only the fender was damaged. Never fixed it. March of 2011, I was rear ended and the poor Miata was totaled. I bought the car back for $400 bucks, and sold it as is to our local SCCA pace car driver. Best part is that it has a clean title. The insurance company never filed any of the paperwork. It is now a daily driver and a weekend warrior. (No pictures of the M-Edition)

In April of 2011, I found the Miata I always wanted since I started getting into the Miata and SCCA Spec Miata, a 2004 Mazda MX-5 Mazdaspeed Edition. It was listed on Craigslist by a dealership. I went down with insurance money to take a look at it. When I got to the dealership, it was sold an hour before I got there. This was the same dealership my parents bought my mother’s 2010 Mazdaspeed 3. So about a week later, the dealership called me and asked me if I was still interested in the MSM. I was told the finance company decided that they won’t finance the MSM (guy had bad credit) and back at the dealership. “Victor, go hide the MSM behind the building. I’m on my way.”

My father and I went to look at this MSM. When I got there, it was love at first sight. The Velocity Red paint job, the MSM front lip, and the MSM deck wing. It was perfect. So I sat down and I talked out my options. It was going to be financed for 5 years, with $6000 down, and I was going to have a co-signer. I walked out of the Sport Mazda with a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with 16,5xx miles for $16,9xx price tag. My monthly car payment is $216.05. It not bad for a 20 year old kid. And I haven’t missed a payment yet (nock on wood).

This picture was taken at Daytona Intl Speedway during one of my SCCA Enduro events
    First Photo at Daytona.jpg

Very first Picture.jpg

Random Picture.jpg

I owed the MSM for about a year before doing some small changes. My first upgrade was NKG plugs and Magnecor wires. The second mod was 5000K HID headlights from DDM Tuning. They where drop ship straight out of China to my front door. Didn’t think it was going to take two weeks to get. I got them installed but ran into an issue with installing the driver side. I have no room for the ballast so I ended up pulling the front bumper off my car and headlight to mount the ballast out of the way. I drove around for a few days with no bumper cover before putting it back on.

HID Installed No Bumper.jpg

HID vs Standard.jpg

Magnecor Wires installed.jpg

“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Then the thing that everyone hates, I was rear ended in November. With the MSM was in the paint and body shop, I drove down to Port Charlotte FL to see YellowYata to buy some goodies off of him since he selling his NB. I bought his Chaser Aero CF Hood, his Boss Frog Double Hoop Maxx roll bar with Boss Frog door bars. I even bought a radio, ARW motor mounts, LED 3rd brake light, two radiators (one stock and one aluminum), a Nardi steering wheel (don’t know which steering wheel I got, can’t remember), and a bunch of other stuff. With my car being in the body shop, I had the roll bar and door bars installed along with the hood. Everything was painted and I got the car finished early February 2013.

Damaged 1.jpg

Damage 2.jpg

Damaged 4.jpg

Damaged 3.jpg

This is some of the work my body shop does.
    Body 1.jpg

New Stuff Installed 2.jpg

New Stuff Installed.jpg

New Stuff Installed 3.jpg
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    These are some of the pictures of the MSM being repainted.

Body Front Bumper Paint.jpg

Body Lip Paint.jpg

Paint Booth 1.jpg

Paint Booth 2.jpg

Paint Booth 3.jpg

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    What do you think of the awr mounts? Too stiff for street?

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    This picture is the latest picture I have of the Miata being back on the road. I now focusing on air intake, suspension, and a wheel/tire package. I hopefully will run my first Autocross event by June.

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1347.jpg

For what I want to do, I just want a fun reliable car to go out and have fun. Either drag racing at the local drag strip, running track events and autocross, or maybe even trying out a drift event. I want to expand my driving little by little. Spec Miata racing for a college student is very hard when you pay for your car, insurance, school, and racing all out of the same pocket. I want to build the motor up to handle more boost. I want to have usable boost, not peak HP and TQ number. I would like to see a usable 300 to 400 WHP for a daily driven Miata. That is the goal I set as of right now. I’m looking for better alternative to driving.

Current Mod list as of March 2013
    New paint job, same color, Velocity Red
    NB OEM small side skirts
    Miataroadtser short shifter kit w/ extender
    LED 3rd brake light
    Boss Frog Double Hoop Max
    Boss Frog door bars
    Custom made Floor Mats
    Chaser Aero CF extractor hood
    DDM Tuning 5000K HID lights
    NoPro washer bottle
    GarageStar wiper cowl panel
    Mobile 1 5w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
    Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

There are a few items I have but not installed as of yet.
    ARW Motor Mounts
    Eclipse Air vents
    Nardi steering wheel and hub adapter
    Aluminum radiator
    Kenwood Stereo
    Speakers

As for the little odd stuff, I also own a 1969 Chevy Camaro SS. It has a 406 Small Block. It’s a built motor and putting around 500 WHP to the ground (I assuming since I never had it dyno, going by what my father knows). I don’t remember the specs on the motor. My father knows more on V8 GM motors than I do. On slicks, it will pull the front tires about 4-7 inches off the ground. My oil pan is scratched and a crushed a header already.

My Camaro.jpg

Camaro Engine.jpg

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bigx5murf View Post
    What do you think of the awr mounts? Too stiff for street?
    I don't have them installed yet. I have a complete clutch and flywheel that I will install soon and I will install the motor mounts then. At 45,xxx miles, I figure the clutch is soon at its End of Life. I was told that they are the 70 durometer bushing so it shouldn't be too bad. I want to limit the amount of the movement of the drive train and I figure these will be better than the factory Mazdaspeed mounts. Diff mounts are to follow when I change the rear gear to either a 3.9 or 3.636.
    Last edited by SM16RMSM; 03-17-2013 at 04:20 PM.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Nice Camaro

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Why thank you. I have a lot invested so far.

Oh, why I just thought about this. My family used to own their own parts chain called Automotive One back in the day. We officially close the business in 1999. We had 39 stores located across Central Florida, a central warehouse, a machine shop, heavy duty truck parts stores (big truck stuff), a auto repair store, AND a high performance speed shop. Automotive One Speed Parts was opened all the way til 2009 when my dad decided that the economy became too bad to have a speed shop. Plus there where @ssh*le customers too wanting us to warranty stuff they didn't buy from us. My dad owned the speed shop since 1993 and my grandfather had the part stores. We where the guys who everyone came to buy parts from. I started working for the speed shop in 2005. I know some stuff but I not all that great with engines. I now sell automotive heating and cooling. I sell everything from Radiator and A/C for any vehicle.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! afc2112's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    Nice Camaro!

And 300hp should be more than enough for a daily MSM.

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    300hp sound right. It not overkill and too much stress on the engine or components.

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by SM16RMSM View Post
    I don't have them installed yet. I have a complete clutch and flywheel that I will install soon and I will install the motor mounts then. At 45,xxx miles, I figure the clutch is soon at its End of Life. I was told that they are the 70 durometer bushing so it shouldn't be too bad. I want to limit the amount of the movement of the drive train and I figure these will be better than the factory Mazdaspeed mounts. Diff mounts are to follow when I change the rear gear to either a 3.9 or 3.636.
    The stock MSM clutch is pretty robust actually, and unless you can feel it slipping already, I doubt it's near EOL at 45k. I've heard of these things lasting past 80k with daily driving + autox.

There's 3 types of motor mounts from mazda. The regular miata ones (soft), the mazdaspeed ones (harder, came on MSM), and the mazda competition ones (hardest, from mazdaspeed catalog only, claimed 40% stiffer than regular). Thing about the awr is, it replaced the entire assembly, and uses a much smaller poly bushing, which means it's a lot stiffer than the 70 duro rating implies (mazda comp mounts are 75 duro). I like how the awr mounts just straight up look bomb proof. But I've read the vibrations being so bad they back out random bolts throughout the car.

I have the ES diff bushings, I loved them. I've currently got a set of 3.63 gears on the way, I thought about saving money and going 3.9 for the longest, but gaining 2-3mph per gear, just really wasn't worth the effort imo.

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Don't tell me I am stuck with the stock clutch for that long. I have a Fidanza flywheel I want to install. I didn't know the MSM came with it very own motor mounts. From what I understand, there is a break in period for the AWR mounts. They feel stiffer than 70 duro (like 90 range) but will loosen up over time, something like 10k in milage. I like a solid feeling car. If I wanting my Miata to drive like a Cadillac, I would have bought a Cadillac. Plus the ARW mounts look like they where nuclear tested before shipping and I got them brand new for half the price. I can't complain.

I was thinking the ES bushing all the way around. As for gears, I can't find a 3.63 for a reasonable price. There is a 3.9 set locally for 300 bucks. If I could find a 3.63 gear then I would have bought it already. I just can't find a set. I found one set back in Jan but for 500 and the guy won't move off the price. It was on CL.

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    yup, MSM came with their own mounts, which are almost identical to the other 2 in looks, but stiffness is somewhere between the regular and the mazda competition.

Anyway, You've got PM regarding the r&p

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Saw your car at miatapalooza. Very nice. Don't know if I met u though. In to follow

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Very Cool Roadster!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast