Thread: Miata drivers side window has a mind of its own, up or down just stops,

Idling - Listen to it purr... muttnutt's Avatar
    Drives
    Green 2001
    Thanks Given

Unhappy Miata drivers side window has a mind of its own, up or down just stops,

after a little while hit switch again and it works,no money for shop right now, but i can follow directions, someone please help. 2001 miata window switch? window regulator? window motor? all 3?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I'm betting on a bad switch or pinched wire.

Idling - Listen to it purr... JAS's Avatar
    Drives
    Miata
    Thanks Given
    Take apart your switch sand the carbon off the switches and walla a good connection and windows go up and down every time. I just did the same thing to mine. The windows even go down faster now.

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JAS View Post
    Take apart your switch sand the carbon off the switches and walla a good connection and windows go up and down every time. I just did the same thing to mine. The windows even go down faster now.
    Both JAS and kung fu got it. My car had this issue, I did what JAS said on top of checking the length of wire.
    I always keep a spare switch set around just in case it burns out tho. This is one of the easiest things in your car to work on.
    If you find the switch isn't doing too well, and needs replaced, a brand new one may run you $60-120.
    Could probably find a used one or a parted one for cheap.
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Good to hear! Thanks for the follow up!

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Good to hear! Thanks for the follow up!
    Oops, I am not OP. I was just tacking on to the end of what the two of you mentioned.
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1991 Eunos Roadster BRG RHD
    Thanks Given
    I know this is WAY late but...

My windows went up and down REALLY slowly and sometimes would quit altogether, then the next time would work. I knew the person I got it from had issues as a raft of printouts on how to repair this problem (cable, wheels, switches etc.) were included with the papers.

I took the window switch entirely apart (with some advice and descriptions from some great guys on a UK forum) and found the switch terminals were corroded AND the tiny plastic pivot pin had fallen out of place because on of the interior retaining clips on the inside of the switch had snapped off. I cleaned the corrosion off, and glued the retainer with super glue. Tested it and it WORKED!

Unfortunately, not on the windows...all that worked was that power could get through it but never arrived at the window motor. Tested the wires...power to the switch, power from the switch, nothing going to motor and a 30 amp fuse blew, I HEARD it, replaced it and tried the switch again and nothing.

Took the door panel off.

...applied direct power to motor, windows went UP, didn't go down when polarity was reversed.......hmmmm
    Examined fuse and noticed that one side of the terminals was scorched but not the other...hmmmm

Empirical data would suggest that SOMETHING had been causing the fuse to get hot without blowing it and the direct power just fried it. So what would stop power from going through, we had checked everything.

Took the connector that was between the window motor and the window switch apart again and checked IT out...there was corrosion on some of the terminals, this despite the inside of the door being immaculate, no moisture, no rust, cable and rollers looked pristine but it WAS dusty inside the door.

Cleaned the male connectors with Q-tip and rubbing alcohol and the female with emery cloth, plugged it back together, started the engine and hit the switch. Windows went up and down as if their life depended on it...enthusiastically!!!!

This problem just MIGHT be cured by cleaning the electrical connectors first!

In all my research on the web looking for answers as to how to repair windows that would not go up or down or went up or down sluggishly I have never seen anything about this being possible. It might be a fluke but what if it isn't? I DID try everything else suggested on the web first.