Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 429 Posts

I LOVE Miatas and all but.....

I LOVE Miatas and all but when your sitting on coilovers you feel every single thing on the road -_-.
    Even before I installed coilovers I felt everything. I call my car the death trap

Anyone else feel like this???aha
    Last edited by Gene Rodriguez; 03-27-2013 at 01:15 AM.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SteelReign's Avatar
    Drives
    04 Steel
    Thanks Given
    I call mine a "rattle trap". Can't get decent music in it because every bump, whether from the road or the music's bass makes the car rattle and vibrate really badly. At cruising speeds the passenger door rattles non-stop.

I got suckered into this "sports car" and now I'm trapped within its rattle! It seems the only way to ignore it is to drive hard and let the exhaust drown it all out...

But this is how every used sports car seems. Gotta take the good with the bad...

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Rodriguez View Post
    I LOVE Miatas and all but when your sitting on coilovers you feel every single thing on the road -_-.
    Even before I installed coilovers I felt everything. I call my car the death trap Anyone else feel like this???aha
    Everyone knows you can't have it all... You want plush comfort?, you give up on handling. You want to stick to the road?, you feel the bumps. You want to lower your car for "stance"?, well, you give up function. It's really what you want to do, and finding a solution you can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelReign View Post
    I call mine a "rattle trap". Can't get decent music in it because every bump, whether from the road or the music's bass makes the car rattle and vibrate really badly. At cruising speeds the passenger door rattles non-stop.

I got suckered into this "sports car" and now I'm trapped within its rattle! It seems the only way to ignore it is to drive hard and let the exhaust drown it all out...

But this is how every used sports car seems. Gotta take the good with the bad...

When I decided to "really clean" my car (remove seats, rug, dash, door panels) I installed stuff similar to Dynamat It drasticly cut down on vibrations, and rattles. I installed it on the doors, on the inside of the outside sheetmetal, AND I replaced the door's plastic vapor barrier with it. My doors now have a "thud" sound when they are closed. Also, with rattles, there is usually a source that you can trace back too. Somethings come undone, or is loose.

-Cheers,

jim

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    What coilovers and rideheight are you on? Spring rates?

I had 9/6 coils on my NA with monotube dampers. When I aadded a hardtop, I bolted it down. That took away a LOT of the rattles. When I added bolt in doorbars to the rollbar, it took away 90%+ of the little rattles. Going over bumps and uneven roads made the chassis feel as solid as a modern car, like an Audi. No more shudder and shake.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    hahaha, funny. Try coilovers (12k/7k) and delrin motor mounts. Then you'll hear all kinds of racket, that you wish you wouldn't. This spring, my plan is to remove the dash and carpet, install some sound barrier, and heat reflective material. I also plan on putting in a "new" dash, and wrapping everything behind the dash in some type of foam.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Holy hell! Haha, that is solid!

No todo que es oro brilla.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 429 Posts
    but even with stock suspension it was still pretty rough

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Rodriguez View Post
    but even with stock suspension it was still pretty rough
    Well, the NA is a pretty old car. Even with a '97 NA, the car is 15-16 years old!

To add to what kung fu jesus said, bolting down the hardtop makes a world's difference. I also noticed a difference when I installed frame rails to my car. Not only did the frame rails increase the chassis rigidity, it helped eliminate some annoying rattles and twisting.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Save up and get some Fat Cat setups like the Driver has, he loves his suspension.................

paging the Driver...............

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
    Everyone knows you can't have it all... You want plush comfort?, you give up on handling. You want to stick to the road?, you feel the bumps. You want to lower your car for "stance"?, well, you give up function. It's really what you want to do, and finding a solution you can live with.
    jim
    I must have missed the memo! ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Save up and get some Fat Cat setups like the Driver has, he loves his suspension.................

paging the Driver...............
    Yes boss?

Seriously, my FCM's are 600/375 with 12.25/12.75 height rides. As a previous front engined Porsche owner with friends that had E-36 M3's, wanted to feel that suspension experience again. I've had those coilovers in Tulsa and now Denver where the roads are NOTHING like the smooth glass roads that I had in FL. My car is smooth, supple and with prodigious amounts of grips.
    Last edited by The Driver; 03-28-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Adding a 4-point rollbar will tighten up the car as well, even more so than a hardtop.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    As maxed out as my NA was, suspension-wise, those instances where I was able to use it for how it was designed completely overwhelmed the flaws. JICs, 9/6 springs, sways, HT, roll bar, doorbars, corner balancing, Lotus seats, Torsen, etc. The drive from Raleigh to Deal's Gap was a little exhausting, but when I got out there and started pushing the car, it was pure magic. Same for the track days. I used to drive another car as a daily (e36M3) and I would get back into the NA and fall in love with it all over again. The drives up and down the PCH, blasting across the mountains on the Ortega Highway, far more entertaining in the NA versus the M3, primarily because of the roads and the relatively short trips. Now with the NB as our only Miata, it is set up more for pleasure, but still has those characteristics that make you overlook the flaws.

Now, driving across the desert to Vegas, Havasu or Palm Springs with 100+ degree weather? M3 all the way. 100mph with the A/C on.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given

I LOVE Miatas and all but.....

You sold your na!?!

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    02 BYM Miata SE
    Thanks Given
    only complaint is the wind noise on the driver side. To be expected but other than that I am happy with the car, I like small cars so naturally I drove mainly econo cars so rattles are not new to me though with the miata I have no noticed may rattles. My hate for it is the reverse, sometimes it goes into R nice and easy, other times you fight and swear like a pirate.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    It sounds like you just have a few nagging little maintenance issues. It the kind of stuff that isn't performance oriented, but just solves a lot of gripes.

For the reverse issue, that is usually attributed to bad motor mounts or worn shifter bushings. Wind noise is either a bad window seal or the stoppers for the glass need to be adjusted (glass is going up too high or not high enough).

Easy fixes, just not sexy.

And yes, I sold my NA last summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast