Thread: Nurburgring has been sold off, future plans for it don't look good...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! vindi49's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given

Nurburgring has been sold off, future plans for it don't look good...

Just spotted this on Bridge to Gantry site, the Nurburgring has been sold to an investment group and their plans for it don't look good.

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.ph...lition-planned

Russell.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    .... and today's date?

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    .... and today's date?
    Ahem, I forget... some time in Spring or something...

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Jong building a replica in North Korea?????? Racing Kia's and Hyundai's b((';'))d

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    02 BYM Miata SE
    Thanks Given
    heard somewhere in Nevada they are going to make a replica

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Benbrg's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG 91
    Thanks Given
    Good riddance.
    100% BRG 0% Primer

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    heard somewhere in Nevada they are going to make a replica
    News of this popped up about a year ago, but has been silent since. It was supposed to be done by the same owners as LVMS. They were supposed to be in talks with the governor, trying to get the state to donate 8000 acres of land to make it happen. In comparison, the current LVMS occupies 1200 acres of donated land. I think the plan was also meant only for auto manufacturers to have a year round ring for testing purposes. Not surprising since LVMS isn't that open to the public as it is. The road course is for exotic racing only (exotic car rental experience). The oval is only open to charity runs. The drag strip I'm not sure, I've heard it's been open to public events. The dirt track, not open to the public. They do open various parking lots of autox, and as I witnessed a few months ago, actually provide pro level support to weekend autox'ers (ambulance, tow truck, fire truck, all showed up within a minute after an autox'er lost it and went through a fence).

Drives
    Several Miatas, a 69 GT500 Shelby
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bigx5murf View Post
    News of this popped up about a year ago, but has been silent since. It was supposed to be done by the same owners as LVMS. They were supposed to be in talks with the governor, trying to get the state to donate 8000 acres of land to make it happen. In comparison, the current LVMS occupies 1200 acres of donated land. I think the plan was also meant only for auto manufacturers to have a year round ring for testing purposes. Not surprising since LVMS isn't that open to the public as it is. The road course is for exotic racing only (exotic car rental experience). The oval is only open to charity runs. The drag strip I'm not sure, I've heard it's been open to public events. The dirt track, not open to the public. They do open various parking lots of autox, and as I witnessed a few months ago, actually provide pro level support to weekend autox'ers (ambulance, tow truck, fire truck, all showed up within a minute after an autox'er lost it and went through a fence).
    According to sources within the LVMS corporation, the state has not seen a formal declaration as of February 2013, nor has a formal plan been submitted just yet. Environmental groups have already staked a claim to the state owned land stating that there are "rare species that need to be protected". With that said, things are moving forward, just extremely slowly. Rumor had it that Toyota was going to play a roll in the development, but nothing that has been confirmed.

Bill S.

PS: I do have some friendly connections with the folks out in that area who are involved in racing

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    According to sources within the LVMS corporation, the state has not seen a formal declaration as of February 2013, nor has a formal plan been submitted just yet. Environmental groups have already staked a claim to the state owned land stating that there are "rare species that need to be protected". With that said, things are moving forward, just extremely slowly. Rumor had it that Toyota was going to play a roll in the development, but nothing that has been confirmed.

Bill S.

PS: I do have some friendly connections with the folks out in that area who are involved in racing
    I'm local and pretty involved in local racing, but have not heard any of that! Then again, I'm not going around asking about it. But it's great news if it's really still proceeding. Even though I still have doubts LVMS will open it up to the public and private owned cars more than once or twice a year if even. As for those rare species that need to be protected. I'd be surprised, don't even recall seeing bugs out there.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    I haven't gotten a chance to read the article yet, but judging by the link, demolition? This was part of my bucket list... this is really disappointing.
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    News of this popped up about a year ago, but has been silent since.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't about a year ago.. it was EXACTLY a year ago.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 3MiataFamily's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Ecclestone Greenlights 2017 F1 Race at Lime Rock

ASKWITH, U.K. (March 32) – In a surprise announcement, F1 major domo Bernie Ecclestone told reporters that he’s made a deal with Lime Rock Park owner Skip Barber to bring the Formula 1 circus to Connecticut’s 1.5-mile, 9-turn road course, starting in 2017. A date has not been set, and the F.I.A. World Council must still approve the expanded schedule, “But that’s simply a formality,” Ecclestone said.

“I met Skip in Monaco back in the mid-70s, when I was running Brabham and Max [Mosely] was trying to stick Skip into that crap-can March,” Ecclestone said. “When I heard from one of my many minions that America’s New England region didn’t have an F1 race, well, I was shocked. So I rang up Skip."

Ecclestone (l.) and Barber met secretly at Lime Rock Park in 2012.
    Photo: “Photos by Kimi. Because I know what to do”

Ecclestone, who had gathered 241 racing reporters around his feet inside his quaint $650 million cabin in Askwith, Worchestershire-on-Gloucestershire-no-thanks-to-Shropshire, England, also revealed that Formula One Management will not charge Lime Rock Park the normal one-year rights fee of $21 billion. “Instead, Skip’s going to buy me dinner at Mizza’s Pizza – and he has to change the oil in one of my Range Rovers,” Ecclestone said.

On the other side of the Atlantic, Barber said, “As much as I would like an F1 race at Lime Rock, my handshake agreement with Bernie does not include an oil change. We’re still negotiating. I think rotating the Hankooks on his Wolseley 16/60 is sufficient, really.”

Because of this ground-breakingly different business case, Barber said he will set ticket prices accordingly.

“I’m thinking $12.50, plus the 10% Connecticut Amusement-Admission Tax, for a three-day pass,” Barber said.

Ecclestone was quoted further as saying, “I am also very excited to bring my 75-meter motorhome, Helga’s Revenge, to the infamous Lime Rock infield camping area for the Formula One race. I personally love the painfully passé ‘No Fear’ bumper stickers you see on the campers. I mean, literally, they’re stuck to their arses. As well, the plush pigs along the camping area’s roadsides really do make me feel at home. Well, at least one or two of them.”
    President Nutmeg Miata Club/94 C pkg/163k/VMaxx/RB header/exhaust/NEW PAINT!/RB sways/OZ Racing Starlights/Boss Frog Twin

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't about a year ago.. it was EXACTLY a year ago.
    I'm really not sure if this is an April Fool's joke or not...I hate this day!
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Ummmm, for those of you that haven't read the article yet, here's a summary / bit of reading between the lines...representatives of Kim Jong Un have bought the Nurburgring and intend to make a copy of it in Korea, and once they have staged a race there, they will demolish the original in Gernmany using a nuclear missile. All this is being done for the glory of the Republic.

Sounds plausible to me?...

Russell.

Drives
    Several Miatas, a 69 GT500 Shelby
    Thanks Given
    I'm local and pretty involved in local racing, but have not heard any of that! Then again, I'm not going around asking about it. But it's great news if it's really still proceeding. Even though I still have doubts LVMS will open it up to the public and private owned cars more than once or twice a year if even. As for those rare species that need to be protected. I'd be surprised, don't even recall seeing bugs out there.

It was posted to go along with the joke the OP has posted .

Bill S.