Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All Weather Tires - The Good. The Bad. Help!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    How can you say that when we don't know what kind of tires the OP has or what shape they are? I'm a darn good driver, and the only time I lost it in the rain was on my first Miata (a Merlot) with some Eagle GT4 tires. I was not speeding and just leaving an off ramp on I-275 and Fowler Avenue. The tires were virtually brand new, installed by the previous owner. They were gone within a week, and have NEVER experienced that again.
    I'm not calling anyone a liar or anything, or that it didn't happen under proper driving for the conditions. I'm just saying that the condition my tires were and are in, I never had issues of loosing control or spinning out. And considering I don't have to worry about gassing up my car every 3 days anymore (more like once every 3 weeks), I don't exactly drive like a grandma anymore. In fact, my 1.6 sees redline just about every day, several times a way.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop
    1991 "Tardis Blue" BRG #581 <- SOLD

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I'm not calling anyone a liar or anything, or that it didn't happen under proper driving for the conditions. I'm just saying that the condition my tires were and are in, I never had issues of loosing control or spinning out. And considering I don't have to worry about gassing up my car every 3 days anymore (more like once every 3 weeks), I don't exactly drive like a grandma anymore. In fact, my 1.6 sees redline just about every day, several times a way.
    And I never accused you of calling anyone a lier. But your final conclusion, if we could call it that, is wrong. There is just not enough data to determine what the proper weak link is. OP says it is the tires, and based on my own experience it could very well be.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    OK,ok. Settle down. I'm sure Chops is Senna reincarnated, but lets stick with the OP's question. We are here to help others not criticize.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2011 Mazda Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wolf View Post
    Just get all seasons, but a decent set. Contis are some of the best I've ever had, and the roads out here on oki are slippery as shit (roads are made of coral, you can make a stock civic lose traction during a regular stop and go).

Had them on my FD, amazing. Still amazing handling in the dry during one of my autox. If you aren't competing, don't waste your money for summer tires. Who cares, odds are you won't be driving to the limit of your contis anyway.

I have all seasons on my GC8 now, and a spare set of RS3s for autox. Honestly.. I'm tempted to just sell my tires and pocket the cash since I still have a phenomenal time on all seasons. And the contis really have amazing dry traction.

More money, more happy. That's my philosophy
    I lived in and drove in Okinawa for 2 years. Had a Nissan Cube over there though.
    Last edited by tehpounce; 04-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Okay, I'm sorry for veering off (no pun intended). I'm certainly no Senna, though I wish I had his skills.

TD is right, we need more info from the OP as far as current tire model and condition. I was just saying that I've driven on some pretty crappy tires in my day in all weather and have had no issues like the ones the OP is having. Accusing or assuming I should have not done, and for that I apologize.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop

Drives
    2011 Mazda Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    My first miata I never had any problems. Bought decent tires for it, never experienced slippage, I say stock tires on my 2011 due to I only bought the vehicle 2 months ago. I've never had issues up until the past week of rain, and it has rained numerous times prior to that. When I was going over my paperwork for my car I noticed they had touring tires, which are great on dry pavement, but noticeably slippy on wet.

If you're basing your user error argument purely on the fact I'm a young female, I find that rather rude considering I came in for advice in regards to tires. I'm well educated on my car, and am educating myself on tires considering this is my first wreck.

Drives
    '96 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    FWIW, I have Conti DWs on my A4, a fine tire in the dry or wet (then again I have Quattro and live in Florida.) I have Falken Azenis 615s on my '96 Miata, with a Treadwear Rating of 200, and considering the great dry weather grip, they are grippy even in gullywashers. Enjoy your ride, and "Keep the shiny side UP".

Drives
    2011 Mazda Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    FWIW, I have Conti DWs on my A4, a fine tire in the dry or wet (then again I have Quattro and live in Florida.) I have Falken Azenis 615s on my '96 Miata, with a Treadwear Rating of 200, and considering the great dry weather grip, they are grippy even in gullywashers. Enjoy your ride, and "Keep the shiny side UP".

Great information thank you. I'll add that to my list of tires to look up when I get a day off.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpounce View Post
    Great information thank you. I'll add that to my list of tires to look up when I get a day off.
    Key word, "Quattro". Even mediocre tires (not saying that his tires are crappy) will perform on 4WD. I bought my 4WD Taco with worn out 70K+ miles, and once I engaged 4WD, all worries went away.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpounce View Post
    I say stock tires on my 2011 due to I only bought the vehicle 2 months ago. I've never had issues up until the past week of rain, and it has rained numerous times prior to that.

If you're basing your user error argument purely on the fact I'm a young female, I find that rather rude considering I came in for advice in regards to tires. I'm well educated on my car, and am educating myself on tires considering this is my first wreck.
    I don't assume anyone is a man or a woman based on their avatar. I never said "he" or "she" in my posts. There's plenty of men on here with women as their avatars. It doesn't matter if you're male or female, there are good drivers and bad drivers alike. So if you think I was rude and/or offended by anything I said, that's purely your fault.

Secondly, and this one really bugs me (since several of us have already mentioned it), after about 8 posts on the subject, you have yet to mention the tires you have and their condition. Brand, model and amount of wear would be good information for us to actually help you better rather than just shooting in the dark with random suggestions. Also, your driving habits and possibly your daily commute would help.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Secondly, and this one really bugs me (since several of us have already mentioned it), after about 8 posts on the subject, you have yet to mention the tires you have and their condition. Brand, model and amount of wear would be good information for us to actually help you better rather than just shooting in the dark with random suggestions. Also, your driving habits and possibly your daily commute would help.
    Agreed.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    I'll say it again.

Just get continental extreme contacts. Clearly your level of driving isn't up to par with performance tires (and this is advice that should go for everyone on this forum). So don't feel the need to burn some cash to get 140 or 200 Tread tires that are a huge risk at even the slightest amount of water/snow.

My plan is to always have continental extreme contacts (or an equally good tire) on my miata at all times stateside. I have zero reason to need anything "better" for the street since the Contis are already a very high caliber tire. Not to mention a miata is buckets of fun with higher treadwear tires. Don't drink the kool-aid, just make a good financial and safety decision and get extreme contacts or another comparable tire.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Drives
    2011 Mazda Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    Sorry kept forgetting to write the tire info down before coming into work.
    My current tires are Yokohama Advans - high performance street/tires. Which have been excellent on dry pavement. I apologize for not getting to that till now. Its RV season in the insurance world so my mind has been elsewhere.

Drives
    2011 Mazda Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    Amount of wear is new to fairly new as they came with my vehicle. Treading is good ( penny test).

Drives
    Thanks Given
    ^ A) Never been a fan of blanket statements. We have here a spectrum of drivers, some are great and some are not. At some point everyone buys the farm, it comes with the territory.

B) I've driven my summer performance tires in snow. Was I happy? Sure I wasn't, felt like an idiot for believing the forecast, but I sure didn't spun off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast