Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You get what you pay for - Ebay steering parts

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

You get what you pay for - Ebay steering parts

So, the front right lower ball joint separated suddenly on me today. Just a pleasure cruise between tasks, no hooning, only enjoying the return of warm weather to the Carolinas.

I am unhurt, the car is remarkably well, mostly some lathing on the inside of the wheel from the control arm dropping on it and me keeping the car to a safe stop.

Here's the full story:

My wife and I were relocating from California to North Carolina. One of us was going to have to drive the moving truck, the other would follow in the NB. I hurried to ready the car for the trip, so I bought inner/outer tie rod ends and lower ball joints off Ebay from "worldsuspension". I installed them easily as I have done this job many times before. The inner tie rod ends were the wrong ones and my old ones were straight and solid so I left them in.

My wife drives this car as a daily driver, the roads aren't bad out here. It is not tracked, lowered or autocrossed. About two weeks ago, the steering became a bit rubbery and stiff, the car wasn't returning to center as it should. Figured it was caster, because my inspection of the ball joints and tie rod ends gave me no play. Alignment checked out fine.

It had occurred to me that those parts may be causing the issues, as I know a few others in KINOD had issues with these parts.

Lucky for me, I wasn't on the highway. I had just made a turn and was heading straight when the front right collapsed. I feel fortunate for decent driving experience too, because I didn't panic and was able to bring the car to a controlled stop. It's funny, because before the turn, I was considering taking the freeway just a 1/4 mile up the road. I couldn't imagine what would have happened at 70mph, or worse yet, if wife had been driving it. I had the car towed to a shop I trust as I don't have the space nor possibly the correct tools to get piece of BJ still in the knuckle out. I will be requesting OEM or better, well-known manufacturer parts when the shop calls me about the car now sitting in their parking lot. Something I should have done in the first place.

Please don't make my mistake, spend the extra money on good parts, ESPECIALLY brakes, steering and suspension. If you aren't sure, ASK. That's why we have forums like this.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Sucks to hear man. Glad you are ok though.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Damn, glad you're okay! Let this be a lesson for everyone to not cheap out.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    I bought a set of these myself. After hearing a couple stories on this I just threw them in the trash.
    Just another cracka azz cracka with an Old Beat up '97

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    ^ wise.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Looking at the log, I estimate these had ~8000 miles on them. More a third of that was from driving the I 40 coast to coast. The rest is regular home-work-home. Scary stuff.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! tanakapz's Avatar
    Drives
    2004 VRM MSM
    Thanks Given
    Also another part to be afraid of.. ebay steering wheel hubs. multiple people have had them separate into two parts. definitely not something worth cheaping out on.
    wut

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    I don't think I would ever buy any suspension or steering parts from eBay for this reason. Glad to hear you are ok despite this.
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    I almost bought eBay lwer ball joints. I changed my mind last minute and bought them from my mechanic. Thank God I did.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    I always hate hearing stories about mission critical parts failing mid-drive... It is an on-going fear of mine. While it is generally unlikely for a tire to just come off while on the highway, it is not entirely unheard of (even for a well-maintained vehicle).

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    You have to watch out for what you buy. There are decent sellers out there. I selling old TRW/Moog stuff on eBay. Since my family did have a 39 chain store + warehouse automotive parts business, I have a ton of old stuff. I just sold a left and right tie rods end for 70s Chevy C10 truck. My stuff might be old and a show a tad bit of aging, but it true classic TRW parts that are Made in Canada (before Moog bought them out). BUT if your buying the true Chinese made eBay cheapo stuff, then you might want to stay away from them.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! moerdogg's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Smurf
    Thanks Given
    Just refreshed my car's front end with Mazda parts. General forum FYI: If you do any sorts of motorsports, I HIGHLY recommend signing up for Mazdaspeed. Parts prices for genuine Mazda stuff are competitive with or better than Rock Auto's Moog. Figure 15-20% less than anyone else sells Mazda parts.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    This is my favorite eBay Fake vs Real video

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    KFJ, thanks for posting this at the risk of some "told you so" criticism. Life and limb are too valuable to skimp on critical parts. OEM all the way on tie rod ends.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Not afraid to take criticism or own up to mistakes. Would not want to see someone else make the same mistakes.

What could have been an extremely dangerous incident was relatively minor. Tow driver commented,"Wow! You're lucky you weren't going that fast!" and told me a story about another car that had a bj separate on the freeway, sending the car down an embankment into some water. The driver was stuck in the car, water up to her neck, when help arrived.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast