Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Been awhile since my last update. I wasn't planning on adding anything to Jazz for awhile...but I ended up entering Jazz into the "Vintage Auto Salon" historic japanese car show in San Leandro, CA a couple of weekends ago. (Thanks Kenjo [Garagestar] for letting me enter my car in his spot).

I ended up being featured on "Japanese Nostalgic Car's" webpage with some other miatas (including Willywongka, Ricky, and another friend named Carson)

"Brian Szeto‘s black bullet is a an example of how versatile the Miata platform truly is. With lightweight 949 6UL and a few Racing Beat goodies under the hood, a stock Miata can easily be transformed into a dual-use application suitable for both track and street."

The Vintage Auto Salon was also a great experience to see many tastefully-modded vintage Japanese cars (i.e. 240z's, old corollas, 510's, and other '70s cars). I picked up some stickers while I was there, and now Jazz has a couple more stickers.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    As of late, I've been more interested in "retro" modifications. Going to the Vintage Auto Salon gave me some ideas of additional add-ons I wanted to give Jazz. I've always liked the retro Mazda badge, but at least for now...I can't see myself obtaining one of the KG Works vintage badges for awhile...but I really do like the vintage blue color of the badge. How could I color something on Jazz for that "retro" feel?

I decided, I'll repaint the valve cover. Jazz already came with a wrinkle-black painted valve cover (I'm assuming from the previous owner), and though it was nice, I kind of wanted some more "pop" in color under the hood. So, I had always wanted to paint a valve cover by myself, so I decided to do so a couple of weeks ago.

Valve cover before painting. Covered in oil and hand/finger prints...not very cool to look at.

Used spray paint stripper. It was cool seeing how effective the paint stripper worked.

Appetizing huh?

So that's what a stock valve cover looks like...

I realized how important it is to prep correctly. I think it's along the lines of..."All the work is done during the prep"

Newly-painted valve cover. I went with a "Ford Blue", and I think it turned out pretty well. Not too "baby blue", but reminiscent of the "french blue" that is popular nowadays. Also polished the raised letters on the valve cover. Was a little difficult to do without scuffing the valve cover, but well worth it.

How it looks in the car? I like it. In this picture, it looks a little lighter than what it looks like in real life...the polished letters on the valve cover match well with the polished Garagestar oil cap as well.

I'm planning on getting an anodized blue radiator cooling plate from Garagestar in the near future as well. Now I need to take care of the air filter on my intake. Blue intake filter? Haha...we'll see.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Around the same time I was painting the valve cover, a set of 14 inch BBS wheels from a '93 Miata LE came up for sale. I decided to pick these up for a set of daily wheels...well maybe not anymore. (I'm picking up another set of wheels soon, should be shipped soon) The BBS are okay...there is a fair bit of oxidation and wear on the machined lips. At least the set came with all of the wheel caps and the BBS wrench tool, so cool to have a "complete set". But for the price, at the very least this can be a "wheel restoration" project for myself. Gotta love DIY projects.

Weird to see Jazz sitting on 14 inch wheels.

That fender gap...haha. Not used to driving on 14's.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    The most recent addition for Jazz is something I have wanted to get ever since I first got Jazz. It's been almost two years since Jazz came into my possession...and Jazz is almost at 160k miles...so decided to treat myself...err I mean Jazz, to some goodies.

What did I get? A set of Eunos badges. I'm so glad I was able to acquire these. The minute I opened my package, I was amazed at how nice these badges look in real life. The luster and colors of the nose badge...the "roadster" badge...and the sleek "Eunos" rear badge. So cool.

Why yes Jazz, these badges are for you.

Placing the badges proved to be a long task...at least for me. I wanted to make sure that I placed the badges correctly, so there was a lot of measuring...then more measuring...and even more measuring.

Jazz, you've got some things on your nose...haha.

Used 3M "Super Strength Molding Tape".

Did I go overboard? Nah, just being as thorough as I could.

And......front is done. I like Jazz' new nose a lot. Having driven Jazz around with a nose badge ever since I got him, it was a weird change at first, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it.

Onto the "Eunos" rear badge. Cleaning the old "gunk" off...

More "measuring"...

Before.

After.

I love the "Eunos" badge. But I'm still on the fence about the "roadster" badge. As of now, the letters are painted red...not to my liking. I'm thinking about painting the letters black. Thoughts? Here's a pic of the "roadster" badge mocked up on the back. What do you think? Looks better with just the "Eunos" badge, or does it need the "roadster" badge too?

Nevertheless, I love the new badges. I can now say that I own a "Eunos Roadster". How cool is that?

Jazz says hello.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Finally, here's the most recent acquisition I've made: Jackson Racing headers. I've been searching for one ever since I first got Jazz...I now have one. Woot.

CARB legal. That is good.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Nice update!

Maybe paint the red Roadster badge blue like the valve cover or try to match the color of the nose badge??

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    My most sincere opinion is that the badges are cool but the car looks better with no badges at all. Also, if you can spend some money on painting the car it will look even greater. The car looks pretty cool as it is now, even with the BBS wheels looks great

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Nice man! Car is looking great. The valve cover looks real nice.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    I'm digging this ride!
    Just another cracka azz cracka with an Old Beat up '97

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Nice update!

Maybe paint the red Roadster badge blue like the valve cover or try to match the color of the nose badge??
    Thanks. I'm thinking either painting it blue...or if I decide on something more subtle, probably black.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    My most sincere opinion is that the badges are cool but the car looks better with no badges at all. Also, if you can spend some money on painting the car it will look even greater. The car looks pretty cool as it is now, even with the BBS wheels looks great
    Yeah, it was weird to look at first, but after some time I like the badge. But I will admit, going badgeless does look cleaner...hopefully in the future I can repaint the entire car.

Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Nice man! Car is looking great. The valve cover looks real nice.
    Thanks! I like the valve cover too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth97 View Post
    I'm digging this ride!
    Thanks!

So...this happened today. Came home and noticed some packages sitting by the front door.

What could these be.....?

I told Jazz to peek out of the garage. He was curious.

A curious Roadster coming closer to inspect...

New wheels!

"?!?!?! I can hazz??"

Unpacking the wheels.

I have to take this opportunity to personally thank Bill from Miataroadster. Thanks for shipping these from SoCal up to NorCal! I'm a very happy customer. Cheers!

Ooohhh...Drag DR54s...

...with classy R2-limited vintage Mazda center cap stickers...

...and cool blue valve stems. Woot.

My now "track" 6ULs/Star Specs on the left vs the "street" DR54s/Hankooks on the right. (I need to get new track tires...track day in October!)

Jazz was rushing me to finish taking this picture...guess he really wanted to try on his new...shoes?

Side shot.

I really like the center caps...

Mmm...

Need to play around with the suspension height/setup for street use...well maybe. Not used to having such low offset wheels/"stretched" tires, but in time, it'll look better.

A very happy Eunos roadster with his new kicks.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    It appears that your education is paying off. Jazz is getting spoiled!

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    That looks great, what are the specs?

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I knew those wheels looked familiar. They look great on Jazz. I'm glad those wheels went on a great car.

Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
    It appears that your education is paying off. Jazz is getting spoiled!
    Hmm...am I really treating Jazz...or myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    That looks great, what are the specs?
    "takk" (Is that "thanks" in Norwegian??). Drag DR54, 15 x 8.25, 0 offset. After a couple days driving...I think I need to compensate for the 0 offset...not used to running such low offset, which means...

A. Adjust camber...and lower?

or...

B. Upgrade suspension to something a bit stiffer?? (Helps "compensate" for street wheel driving and improve on-track performance w/track wheels?? Time will tell...)

Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    I knew those wheels looked familiar. They look great on Jazz. I'm glad those wheels went on a great car.
    Thank you sir. I can tell you Jazz is quite happy.

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Takk is indeed thanks

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast