Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like I'm headed to Virginia!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given

Looks like I'm headed to Virginia!

So I just got orders and looks as if I'll be stationed at Langley AFB. Any military members out there also?

Whats the area like? Tracks? Car culture? How expensive are miatas? etc etc. Just want the whole rundown of the state
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Summit Point, WV, that track in NJ, VIR. Miatas in N.Va are a mixed bag...some are from the north, some are from the south, so rust is a concern. A few hours south, looking in NC can yield better results. Congrats on the new orders!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    From Japan to Virginia, wow sorry about your luck.

I had orders for Nofuk, VA. got out of the service soon after

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Sell your Miata .buy a pickup truck and call everyone bo . Then you will be a redneck and fit right in oh wait that's here here in NC. But VA is pretty close so be prepared lol

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Yah, Va is a little funky. And expensive for what it is.

Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JLBMX5 View Post
    Sell your Miata .buy a pickup truck and call everyone bo . Then you will be a redneck and fit right in oh wait that's here here in NC. But VA is pretty close so be prepared lol
    Bah... I doubt that's what will happen. I doubt I'd get a pickup, I'm very money conscious and I'd probably pick up a CRX or some other unworldly high MPG vehicle (maybe even a ruckus) to scoot around in, in tandem with the miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    From Japan to Virginia, wow sorry about your luck.

I had orders for Nofuk, VA. got out of the service soon after
    Duude.. Langley AFB is actually dope. This was actually 2nd on my dreamsheet, Nellis being number 1. I'm part of a tenant unit once again so that.. again.. is awesome news. I'm tired of the high ops tempo of short grueling deployments from SOCOM and the constant in-n-out and short notice everything. I'll be excited to go work with the NOSC and Space Command and maybe get a proper 6 month pump to the sandbox in.

Plus, I'm already extremely well traveled. Even before I joined. I broke 20 different countries I've visited when I was 19. So the whole where I live, didn't really matter as long as it wasn't absolutely fucking freezing. I would hate that.
    Because my priority are still the same.

Get my masters
    work out a shitload
    work on a car with any remainder time I have/hit the tracks

But this is my last duty station. I'm separating after this is done.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Summit Point, WV, that track in NJ, VIR. Miatas in N.Va are a mixed bag...some are from the north, some are from the south, so rust is a concern. A few hours south, looking in NC can yield better results. Congrats on the new orders!
    Really excited to hit up VIR. Although I wonder if there's any sort of "miatachallenege" type events out there that I can sign up. And what are the programs/requirements to get me on those tracks? A link to an organizer like speed-ventures equivalent will be awesome.

I'm debating how I'll go about finding a miata. I might actually just buy one down in NC if the pickings are decent. I've been out of the car registration game for too long, so I don't know how I'd be registering my vehicle.. if it would have Virginia plates, or Cali ones since I'm a resident there with a CA license?
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I lived in VA for a short time. The inspections are pretty thorough. I don't remember the process, it has been over 10 years. I do remember it was a WTF when they measured the height of my bumpers when they found out I was on springs (not a Miata at the time). The taxes were high, too. So, it wasn't entirely unlike CA.

I don't know if there is a Miata Challenge here, but there are a lot of reputable HPDEs running events at VIR often. I know the Tidewater area, near Norfolk, runs a lot of events. Lots of military car enthusiasts. As for DC, people like to drive by feel, it seems. Hard to find any car around the city without rubs or dents on it, even the newer cars.

Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    Hmm.. good thing I'm getting a POS miata. I was contemplating bringing my Porsche out there, but after reading what the neighborhoods are like... I'm leaning more towards just keeping the P-car at my house in Cali and have my roommate sit on it some more.

I'll have to find those HPDE sites.

Hmm... I wonder if I could still buy a car out there, but register it in Cali... how would I go about doing that.... -_____- hmmmmmmm

to the googles!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    The Military people I know have their cars refistered to the state of their residence. Not sure how that works with CA.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Radar detectors are illegal in VA

Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Radar detectors are illegal in VA
    thanks?

I never have purchased one before, and never intend to. I'm not somoene who makes a habit of speeding. I'm never really in any rush when I drive.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    VA troopers are similar to CHP and Ohio troopers. Very professional, but sticklers.

Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    So I just threw myself over at VA driven, seems like it's the kind of crowd that's just my style. Enough salt and vinegar to scare away the little pansies and not too many idiots.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any VA miata chapters/forums I'd love to get on there and starting figuring out shit. Thanks a bunch

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    I live in Yorktown, just north of the base. When are you getting here? I haven't seen the Miata scene around here yet, but I do know there are a few guys on Langley who have Miatas. Virginia does tax, but it isn't bad on a Miata. You might pay $50 each year, due to depreciation. Annual inspections are not that big of a deal. They check for safety items, but you must have your SRS system functional if registered in Virginia. You can keep the CA registration, since you have the three state rule. So my advice is register the car in CA and not in VA. PM me if you have any questions!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    DK, I'm joining this group. It appears to be an active group, but I have no information on them beyond the link. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/miatanuts/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast