Thread: Lime Rock Open AutoX

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 3MiataFamily's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given

Lime Rock Open AutoX

Well folks...I am sure that there is another discussion about the new program at LRP this year, the Open autocross program...but i am starting this one for a reason

I have gotten several emails from LRP about this, and talked to one of the staff up there on how this works.

In a nutshell...LRP is opening up the autoCross course in the infield area to just about anyone with a few $$$ in their pocket. their program runs something like this...$250 and run what ya brung .44 mile course..no electronic timing..one 'official' run at the end of the day and the fastest of the year will be invited back for a shootout. their first event in March drew 24 cars and evidently was well received, because one guy that reset his trip meter at the beginning of the day ended up with 25 MILES by the end of the day...that is like 20+ runs. there is not a Club around that will get you 20+ runs at a regular autoX event. But that entry fee?!?..pretty big nut for most of us for an afternoon of beating on our cars.

Here is where it gets good...any Club can do the same thing by reserving a date...and getting the autoX course..WITH AN INSTRUCTOR...for less $$$..a whole lot less. Like $100 each for 25 cars...which is what we are limiting this to...just 25 cars.

so we are booking a date for the Nutmeg Club and will open SOME slots to people outside the Club on a first come first served basis. I have a solid 15 Clubmembers that are ready to sign up, so that will leave a few slots open. Trying to settle between July 29 or August 6..did I mention that this will happen during the week and you have to take a day off? This is an opportunity for some of the more 'reserved' folks to explore the limits of their Miatas, and for the more aggressive out there to just wail around and have some fun in a no pressure situation.

Stay tuned for more details as they become available...

If anyone out there has done this with another group..please chime in and let us know what you think

Also cross-posted here...

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=501838
    President Nutmeg Miata Club/94 C pkg/163k/VMaxx/RB header/exhaust/NEW PAINT!/RB sways/OZ Racing Starlights/Boss Frog Twin

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Thins sounds like a great deal. AND my birthday is August 6th. Perhaps I can get my wife to get me this. Thanks for sharing.

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    OK..that sounds like an ideal birthday present...

Stay tuned...and have your checkbook or paypal account ready..
    President Nutmeg Miata Club/94 C pkg/163k/VMaxx/RB header/exhaust/NEW PAINT!/RB sways/OZ Racing Starlights/Boss Frog Twin

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! cbaylis77's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 1999
    Thanks Given
    Oh if only my car was running. I want in!
    Miata family: '93 auto "Blacky", '99 turbo "Frankenstein" and '05 Mazdaspeed.

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Tenative date is July 29...a Monday

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    OK..I booked the date and made the deposit...time to get out your checkbooks or fire up the paypal account

July 29 ..a Monday..is the date....$100 per driver...max of 25 drivers. Instructor from LRP will be available for tips and ridealongs all day...perfect opportunity for folks that might be a little intimidated by going to an ocean of cones autoX put on by another club. No pressure..no electronic timing..just a lot of opportunity to explore the limits in a safe way.

After talking with Ryan up at the track today, i have gotten a few more details.

Rain or shine...no refunds.

Timeline...plan on arriving at LRP no later than 8:30am...and plan on staying all day..because we have the facility from 9-6...which means that you will get LOTS OF RUNS!!!

Bring a lunch..bring a cooler...if you have an EZ UP..bring that too.

No helmet required...no roll bar required...must have functioning seatbelts...be able to empty your trunk completely...battery properly secured..full tank of gas...tire pressure gauge..

Proper attitude to have a fun filled day exploring the limits of your Miata under controlled conditions.

Yes, we will be able to change up the course a little bit..run in reverse...I will find out more about things like that when I am at the track on ALMS weekend

Right now we need to get everyone to send in their entry fee.

Send a check to our treasurer, Rob Yelin..or send in your entry via paypal...usual procedure..send paypal the usual way..to family or friends so that the Club does not get the fee...

When Rob sees this, he will post the info on the paypal or mailing address.

I am SSSOOO looking forward this!!

Edit:

payment info

Checks can be sent to:
    NUTMEG MIATA CLUB
    21 Kane Ave
    Stamford, CT 06905

Payment may also be made via Paypal...IF IT IS SENT AS A GIFT..family or friends

treasurer@nutmegmiatainc.org
    Last edited by 3MiataFamily; 06-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    A little perspective on what the 'autoX' course at Lime Rock actually is...

the red outline is the actual 'autoX' course...more like a mini-track than a typical autoX..course length is .44 miles...

If you have any interest at all and want a fun day..sign up for this!!

Limited to 25 cars and Nutmeg members have priority...but there are spots open for non-Clubmembers...at least 5, probably more like 10...

Sooner rather than later is much better
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    First 5 payments received...still plenty of spots open

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    up to 15 paid entries...

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    10 spots still open...

Come on folks..come on out and have some fun with your Miata before i throw this open to non-Miata folks...

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    this event is fully subscribed..25 paid entries.

if this number changes, I will post something here

Joe

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    This ended up being an awesome day...everyone got more laps than you can shake a stick at...

hats off to the LRP staff Ryan and Lee for making this a wonderful day all around...the fun runs in the M3 were just icing on the cake. I heard nothing but positive comments from all in attendance...the combined upper and lower course at the end of the day was a real treat...like a mini track day without all the hassles of getting on the big track...and lots more laps that anyone had initially thought

If anyone was on the fence about doing one of these days...jump on the next opportunity..it is an absolute ball!!

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Ok..open autoX shoot out is tomorrow...spectators welcome..no charge..

Registration at noon..practice starts at 12:30...timed runs start at 2:30...the participants will be running the full double loop course...so the qualifying times posted on the LRP webpage will pretty much mean nothing once things get rolling.

A bunch of the Nutmeg folks will be there...and due to some of the top 20 not being able to make it, the Nutmeg Club will have 2 cars running...Ryan King in his Toyota MR Spider turbo...and Eric LaCore in his Mazdaspeed...

Good luck guys

Drives
    '94 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Had a great time today...lots of well driven cars and a very well run event.

Ryan in the MR Spider finished 4th...beat out by a Jaguar that was very well driven..an Audi R8 and a turbo Honda on some really sticky slicks...not sure where Eric LaCore finished...did not catch that time, but he did get an honorable mention for the drift show he put on in his last lap...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3MiataFamily For This Useful Post:

lowandrusty (11-19-2013),WASABI (11-16-2013)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Thanks for the update! Do you have, or know of any pictures for the event?