Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The accidental Panda....

Idling - Listen to it purr... lokirx706's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given

The accidental Panda....

Yes, you read that correctly. And no, it was not a ploy to drag you in here... Well maybe it was a little bit... Before we get into anything regarding how a panda could be an accident, lets start at the beginning. No not my parents bedroom, a little after that...

I do have another build thread, it is about my '94, a car I consider a toy. I love that car, I really do. But I didnt build it, I cant take credit for most of what it is. And somehow, the car you are about to see, has also become somewhat of a toy. Regardless, we have been through alot together, a 1,000 mile a week commute can do that. Anyway, on to the story!!

The '94 was my first foray into the Miata world, I traded my first, and last Rx-7 for it. And I also traded my then daily driver a 1982 Corolla wagon. This left me with my 1990 240sx POS drift missile. Not really the ideal candidate for a daily driver. So I posted it the day I got the '94 for trade. After two days I was offered a 1991 Miata, no pics, I said what the hell! bring it up here!

Well the top was down for a reason... It was more duct tape than top...

Yep, not sponsored by mommy and daddy!

I LOL'd

I CANT FIND ONE WITH A D@MNED TOMBSTONE!!!!!!!!!11!1!!1!

Oooooh glossy black fenders... Those would work on the '94! Unfortunately he did not have a title. It took him nearly two weeks, but he came back with a legit title!

It also had poly bushings throughout, KYB AGX paired to Eibach Pro-kit springs... And my favorite part? A torsen swap!!! I was pumped! Perfect car to daily, just need to paint the front end white!! At least that was the plan...

First things first, the black top HAD to go. First time it rained, it leaked like CRAZY! So I washed the car, took off all the stickers, and popped the tan top from the '94 onto it.

Fender swap!!!

Sooo the flat black nose was driving me NUTS! So I painted the fenders and bumper white. Unfortunately it made the rest of the car look like crap. I was planning on painting the hood and headlight covers, but I quickly lost focus of that.

Clear coated the nose! Also one of the manual mirrors fell off, so I bought the first thing I found on CL which was a set of black power mirrors.

And then I got a free can of Key lime Rustoleum...

Also around this time the top blew open on the interstate, it blew what was left of the vinyl back window out. But nothing else was damaged. I ended up epoxying in a piece of lexan into the opening. This didnt last long as the top wouldnt go down properly with that window in place. It was replaced with a piece of transparent vinyl sheeting.

I also sprayed the wheels bronze, I cant remember why... But it happened...

More to come shortly...

Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    Hanging out with a buddy...

Got a sweet HKS intake, only using the elbow as the filter was destroyed.

Around this time winter happened nothing much interesting was going on, but I got some cheap 15's and a great deal on tires.

So since its the daily, and I needed to do it anyway, I got my 60K on!

Well the rear finish panel was about to fall apart, so I swapped on the '94's original piece. And the trunk had been at some point been sanded on ALOT and looked pretty bad. So I 'temporarily' swapped on the '94's original trunk. This led to me never getting around to fixing/painting anything.

Did a before and after at this point...

Last edited by lokirx706; 05-27-2013 at 11:01 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lokirx706 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-16-2013),WASABI (05-09-2014)

Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    So now you are thinking, I still dont know what this accidental panda has to do with anything!!!! Well... We are on the home stretch, so hang on...

This is where it started to come together, I finally said enough is enough, the tan top needs to go. And I installed a one piece black top

Playing around with an FR-S, my job has its perks! Anyway, due to my not replacing/painting many of the black components on the car, and the black top... It began to look like I was doing all this on purpose... You know, because it looks... Panda-ish...

Put the '94's hardtop on for the hell of it... Bad decision... Must have another hardtop!!!

Found cheap hardtop...

So I have the '94 next to a Towncar... Why not park the '91 next to something equally huge?? The truck I drive for work, a 24 foot Refrigerated Freightliner!!

Scored a Mercury Capri valve cover at Pick and Pull... Best $6 I ever spent!!!

Had my decal guy make a lazy panda... Why? I dont know, but I have somehow come to embrace the whole 'panda' thing... It works in its own quirky way.

Then me and the g/f went to Ikea and there was a damned plush panda sitting on a couch. She loves pandas so she grabbed it, he was the only one in the whole store. I am sure we ruined some poor childs dreams by buying the last one. But it did kinda seem like he was waiting on us lol (Please excuse the fish eye effect lol)

And then I painted the hardtop....

Washed the car!

Made some uber cheap easy to remove hardtop side brackets! Will add security hardware later...

And then BANG! No idea how this happened...

Well that about brings you up to speed with what boring crap I am doing... Its my daily, nothing super exciting, but its looking a hell of alot better than when I first got the car. Its been fun, and there is more in the works, so look for more pictures in the next few days!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lokirx706; 05-27-2013 at 11:04 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lokirx706 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-16-2013)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    That hood is freakin' awesome!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! afc2112's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    So...How does the Miata's clutch feel after driving the Freightliner?

Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by maharaj View Post
    That hood is freakin' awesome!
    Thanks! It was alot of fun to paint it!

Quote Originally Posted by afc2112 View Post
    So...How does the Miata's clutch feel after driving the Freightliner?
    The Freightliner is an automatic.... A giant POS automatic, I wish it was a manual... The thing tries to detect if you are decelerating and downshifts to engine brake. Unfortunately this means that at a 5-10 mph creep in traffic it will unexpectedly downshift and violently engine brake... Even if I anticipate it the thing bucks like an angry bull, and makes me look like an idiot lol But yeah I tell people, you dont need boost. Drive a box truck, or any big rig for your day job. When you get off work a Yugo would feel fast! Seriously though, that little 1.6 feels like a Ferrari after driving the Freightliner all day long... Dont even get me started on the 8 foot wide steering wheel lol
    Last edited by lokirx706; 05-27-2013 at 11:56 PM.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    I actually kinda like the panda thing on this car. It does kinda work!!

Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    Header, and full exhaust. Unfortunately my engine mounts are trash, so the header would hit the steering shaft at WOT. Luckily I had a Torque Damper laying around, its doing a good job, and should work well until I get some new mounts. Also need to build a heat shield for the air filter.

I like the rising sun more than I thought I would, need to clean it up, get rid of the overspray, and sharpen up the edges.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lokirx706 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-16-2013)

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    I like the Rising Sun too. Great build thread.

Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    Long time no updates, notice my last post I had some rust in the rocker on the drivers side. Gutted all the rust, and installed some side skirts.

Bought a $10 radio bezel

Got some nicer scuff plates

Bought some silverstars

Painted the Capri cover Brilliant Blue!

Then I painted the whole car with a fresh coat of white!!

And a new before and after!!

Room mate bought a Miata

Well fast forward a WHOLE lot and it started snowing.... So I scored some studded snows with brand new tread on daisies for $100!

Let it SNOW!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lokirx706 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-16-2013),WASABI (12-16-2013)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Great thread! I really dig the panda. It works awesome.

Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Great thread! I really dig the panda. It works awesome.
    I really appreciate that coming from you! Ive followed your build thread for awhile, and always drool over the products on your site! Here soon I may have a new daily and the Panda will be retired to 'toy' status next to my Rx-7. Then I might just be ordering some things from you!

Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    So now that I got that out of the way, I haven't properly introduced the car club I started about a month or so after I got into Miatas. Ohio Miata Owners.

So those are the pics that are missing from this thread. Throughout the cars evolution Ive built a car club from 2 lowly members into a 600 member strong organization that meets up several times a year and all over the state. I don't think we are doing half bad. Oh, and here are some videos we put together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_lWhB4viC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rl8iFMes0k

Drives
    1991 Panda
    Thanks Given
    Ohio Miata Owners at Mid-Ohio!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lokirx706 For This Useful Post:

WASABI (05-09-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Your Panda is looking good, and congratulations on the CC!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast