Thread: Thoughts on this 2002 please

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

Thoughts on this 2002 please

http://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/3827524467.html

Quote Originally Posted by Craigslist
    2002 Mazda Miata MX5 SE (special edition)

Great. fun car. Power windows, doors, remote, security system, Cold AC, premium sound. Rare SE ( one of only 1500 made). 119K miles, 6- speed manual trans. 25-33 mpg. Great tires, new brakes, well maintained. Factory original upgrades: special wheels, spoiler, sport suspension, Torsen limited slip differential, more. Come and drive it! Bought a new car and now have too many cars!

2002 SE Niceville1.jpg2002 SE Niceville2.jpg2002 SE Niceville3.jpg
    2002 SE Niceville4.jpg2002 SE Niceville5.jpg2002 SE Niceville6.jpg

Although this car is advertised as SE according to carfax it is an LS. It failed emission tests in NC 3 times and finally a year later passed safety inspection. No other issues.

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Btuvi View Post
    http://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/3827524467.html

Although this car is advertised as SE according to carfax it is an LS. It failed emission tests in NC 3 times and finally a year later passed safety inspection. No other issues.

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

Looks like an SE to me, the SE only came with that fancy color interior/exterior color combo, along with the Yellow SE that was offered that year. I think maybe the carfax might have wrong info.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    For me, if there is any discrepancies or doubts in your mind, I would skip. I don't know what the NBs go for down in Florida but $7200 is a lot for what you had found doing research.

But Phat is right, it looks like an SE with the interior but I would be curious about the failed emissions.

But that's my 2 cents.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! WDBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 white miata
    Thanks Given
    lol looks like my 2002 except for the different rims and color scheme....dont see how its a 6 speed and mine is a 5 speed unless for 2002 they made both....mine is a se...other than that it looks ok

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have noticed on several carfax reports that milage is exempt from odometer reporting. What does this mean?

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Looks like an SE to me, the SE only came with that fancy color interior/exterior color combo, along with the Yellow SE that was offered that year. I think maybe the carfax might have wrong info.
    Right, the Titanium is the only one with that orange interior. The Blazing Yellow of that year came with the first black leather interior for the Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    For me, if there is any discrepancies or doubts in your mind, I would skip. I don't know what the NBs go for down in Florida but $7200 is a lot for what you had found doing research.
    But Phat is right, it looks like an SE with the interior but I would be curious about the failed emissions.
    But that's my 2 cents.
    Where are you guys seeing failed emissions? $7200 is actually a good price. I've seen lesser in the $12K range in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by WDBMX5 View Post
    lol looks like my 2002 except for the different rims and color scheme....dont see how its a 6 speed and mine is a 5 speed unless for 2002 they made both....mine is a se...other than that it looks ok
    The wheels on that car are appropriate for a 2002 SE which is the only year they made them. There were four "special" Miatas that year: Titanium SE, Blazing Yellow Mica SE, Laser Blue and Internet Order Vivid Yellow. Yours isn't an SE.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Btuvi View Post
    I have noticed on several carfax reports that milage is exempt from odometer reporting. What does this mean?
    that can mean one of several things;

A. new owner failed to report mileage, or chose not to report mileage discrepancy.
    B. seller accidentally checks the box#2 under the odometer reading that states (in EXCESS of actual limits)
    C. odometer has rolled over its limits 999,999.

Florida DMV sucks, you really have to stay on top of any car you buy here because if you let the state do it they will report it as either non-reported, or mileage exceeds limits, as their default which makes the next buyer scratch their heads and think something is fishy with the car.

Drives
    1991 white miata
    Thanks Given
    midnight blue mica is color of mine....thats not a SE then?? is there a place i can check with my vin number??

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    You can call the dealer I believe and provide them the VIN.

Drives
    1991 white miata
    Thanks Given
    ok called mazda dealership....they told me it was a L model which i take it as LS?? and ls means what...luxury style??....hhmm where i bought it they advertised it as a SE...guess they were wrong...but anyways i still love my miata

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by WDBMX5 View Post
    midnight blue mica is color of mine....thats not a SE then?? is there a place i can check with my vin number??

While not considered an LE, or SE from Mazda your 2002 Miata paint code was rather low in production though. Paint code was: 22A Midnight Blue, and there was only 3,561 made in that color

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Dealers will always make the car seem more expensive than it really is. You should see how many different colored "10AEs" are out there.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Dealers will always make the car seem more expensive than it really is. You should see how many different colored "10AEs" are out there.
    THIS^^

I saw a 1992 silver pop up on AutoTrader, and no miles listed, I put in a call and the guy says its in "Immaculate Condition" and was told it had only 59k miles, I ask for photos, car had surface rust in the engine bay (Northern Rust belt car), and the top was weather beat from the sun, back window had that amber color change going on, and it had several door dings, and non-OEM wheels.

While he did have the correct mileage listed, it was far far away from what I would consider "Immaculate" hahhaha

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    THIS^^

I saw a 1992 silver pop up on AutoTrader, and no miles listed, I put in a call and the guy says its in "Immaculate Condition" and was told it had only 59k miles, I ask for photos, car had surface rust in the engine bay (Northern Rust belt car), and the top was weather beat from the sun, back window had that amber color change going on, and it had several door dings, and non-OEM wheels.

While he did have the correct mileage listed, it was far far away from what I would consider "Immaculate" hahhaha

If that is what he considers "Immaculate", I'd hate to see what he considers "Fair".

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Carfax responded to my question about exempt milage reporting: "In most states, odometer law requires that vehicles less than 10 years old report odometer readings. Vehicles over 10 years old are often exempt from this requirement and do not need to provide odometer readings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast