Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyperspeed Works///

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given

Hyperspeed Works///

Hello, my name is Eli. I have been a miata fan and owner for a long time. I decided to open this build thread to motivate myself and continue working on my ride. The car has been sitting at my dad's house for quite a while and it is sad for me that I once put so much effort into building it and I did, but as a single dad I have priorities to complete and fulfill for my 10 year old son. Now it is time to work on it again, not for me but my son as this project and build thread is dedicated to him because one day I will hand the keys to my own ride to him. It is my greatest joy to show you pictures of my car as it used to look like not long ago and to explain in this thread where I am heading with this project.

About me and what I like about my miatas.

The first time I felt in love with Miatas was at an autocross event. That was a long time ago, I was in my 20's and I used to drive a Datsun 240z. With that said, the miatas completely destroyed my Z at that event and so ironically I started liking these cars. To my surprise I went online and found a site named: hyperspeed.com ((the website is no longer running) and coincidentally the owner looked like he lived in Tampa. (It was Randy George!)) The website hyperspeed.com had an amazing display of NA miatas with a bunch of spoiler kits, headlights, side mirrors and rare parts from Japan and it was awesome!! At the time I already owned a 91 silverstone miata so my love for miatas grew even more, and so I began modifying my ride. Years have passed now since the inception of hyperspeed which was a turning point in my life and my passion for miatas. Subsequently I felt in love with anotherroadster the Blue Potato, another sick ride back in the days and with time thanks to Peter (the owner of Blue Potato) I established a close connection with the staff of Rspeed. Thanks to the staff at Rspeed, I began building my previous and present roadster. The thing about me is that I have always been a fan of sleeper cars, for the most part never like cars with body kits. For my past and present project I wanted to combine a miata that was fast, a sleeper and with parts from Japan but mostly for the interior of the car. The 91 silverstone was nice but when I saw the NB I felt in love with it and so I bought one, a 2001 which is the present ride I have today. and I built it.

The Title of this thread and my view of life regarding build threads
    The title of this thread, is the culmination of my build and dream made reality. I always like fast cars and driven and built a fast miata before (*the 91 silverstone) but I realized that building a car is a life journey that could last a long time and you either build the car or you let it go. In my point of view, the feeling of letting go especially when you are very close to finish a project is what prevents me from quitting as I understand I will regret this opportunity that might not come again in the future. Hopefully with your support and comments I motivate myself even more to finish the NB one day, and my dream will become reality. My dream is just to drive and race the car at the track, enjoy time together with my son and celebrate together the time effort I put into building this car for him.

NB Exterior
    the exterior consists of some small changes but nothing big. The car has the following:
    GV front lip
    GV eyelids
    Halos Lights painted black
    Black tinted windows all around
    Hardtop
    JDM fog light covers
    RS Factory towhook
    Hardog Rollbard
    Mishimoto intercooler.

Here are some pics of the Hyper Roadster.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Sweet looking NB!

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Sweet looking NB!
    thank you sir!

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    About the engine.
    The engine was built a while back with Pauter rods and Wiseco pistons and a billet gear in the oil pump The NB02 intake manifold was gutted, and I removed the butterflies. In addition the lower intake manifold has a hidden plenum on the lower portion of the manifold, you can gut it out and that will give more volume on boosted rides. I also designed a plenum spacer to create more volume between both manifolds. The valve cover was modified to adapt a VTA catch can and I converted the fuel system to return style setup. The engine has a Stainless Steel long tube header design turbo kit with external wastegate. A custom intake, I made for this turbo kit. some misc and my coolant reroute. The car was designed to be a sleeper daily driver, below please find pics of the engine bay.
    Long tube header turbo - engine bay

the oil return line

the intake manifold

intake manifold plenum spacer

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    This is where the project gets crazy.

At the present time I wanted to take the NB to another level so I decided to upgrade the transmision and differential. The car now has a new rear suspension set up to accomodate the gear ratio of the 6 speed. However in order to make this possible I also had modify the entire fuel system Below are pictures of the components and final outcome of my new set up
    Boss Frog - Transmission Brace
    6 speed with Live Axle Ford 8.8 - 327 gears
    Detroit Locker Differential
    Custom Differential shortened 2 inches on the wheels for 0 offset wheels
    Strange Axles
    Strange C-Clip Eliminator kits and stud
    Wildwood Rear calipers with custom brackets
    Custom driveshaft
    Stainless steel brake lines
    UPR race swaybar with adjustable links
    Bilstein coilovers
    10gallon Fuel Cell
    Aeromotive A1000
    Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator - Return Style Set up
    Russell filters, pre and after the pump
    Upgraded fuel lines -8AN
    Lots of fittings from Jegs
    M-Tuned Dual Feed fuel rail return style set up
    I can finally say I am done with my suspension build.

Ford Live Axle

strange axles

eaton diff

fuel cell - aeromotive fuel pump and filters

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    WOW!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Here is the video of the car with the new set up.

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    I recently spent an extra money to quiet down the fuel pump, with a little bit of research I found that Aeromotive sells a fuel speed controller which prolongs the fuel pump life and quiet down the fuel pump. The upgrade was necessary to keep the noise down and so the car is a daily driverr again with the fuel demand needed for this build. I

A new movie of the car with the fuel speed controller will be my next post. Thank you for joining this build thread.

Here is a picture of the controller and the installation instructions from the FM website
    http://www.flyinmiata.com/support/in...isc/shifti.pdf

31954d1338828790-aeromotive-fuel-pump-speed-controller-aeromotive.jpg

Eli
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    WOW!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Looking good Eli, I really wanted to see you build that Silver NA

The black Miata has more in common with the Batmobile than a sleeper though.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Did the intake manifold plenum spacer do anything performance wise?

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Did the intake manifold plenum spacer do anything performance wise?
    I will dyno the car with and without it and post the results in this thread. There is more volume now tough. Another thing i didn't post here is the fact that I blocked the EGR pipe from the exhaust to the intake manifold and removed the PVC and routed a line in the valve cover to the catch can. That made a big difference in keeping the temperatures down. In fact I believe performance wise that's better mod than the plenum spacer. No engine codes for doing this mod.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    Awesome pics. The NB looks evil with the angel eyes and the NA reminds me of KITT when he would go into super pursuit mode!

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by maharaj View Post
    Awesome pics. The NB looks evil with the angel eyes and the NA reminds me of KITT when he would go into super pursuit mode!
    Thanks dude, stay tuned for more updates soon!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Glad you found a fix for your fuel pump. Do you have a water temp gauge ? Your coolant re-route looks pretty crazy, and though I've heard people make fun of it, it sure looks interesting.

I like that you've really gone out and really built this car for your self / your son. I can see lots of dedication and one-off custom work. That intake manifold spacer is pretty sweet. You should sell em haha.

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast