Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Hoodedreeper's Mk1 The Purple Monster

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Uhm, I don't think you could tell any difference, since it would be still covered by the standard leather boot, or am I missing something?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power hoodedreeper's Avatar
    Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Correct,but the leather boot now sits higher up,which looks alot better

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedreeper View Post
    Correct,but the leather boot now sits higher up,which looks alot better
    That's what I was wondering about and wanted to see

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I'll grab a photo for you (if i remember before work)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Martin (11-26-2015)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    The back end is finally finished after dodging the poor weather for what seems like weeks on end.

It seemed this was going to certainly test my patience,and it did. What ever i done,another problem would arise,but i got there in the end.

By no means is it perfect and/or functional,but i like it The wing stands could have done with being lower,but that would have meant cutting the bumper for about the 5th time,and it would have gone all the way to the bottom. I wasn't keen on the idea of the centre part only being held together with a small area of plastic at the very top.

But i guess beggers can't be choosers...onto the photos!

Just waiting for a couple of parts and i can get the cables fitted inbetween the wing stands. Then its time to remove the front bumper ready to make the DIY splitter and canards

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Dave737 (12-05-2015),HarryB (12-04-2015),JamieH (12-04-2015),Phatmiata (05-13-2017),This is a Lamp (12-14-2015),tsingson (12-04-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    aw man...

If you are happy with it, that's the most important bit. Rock on

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Received the second package from Garage Star,this time a pair of door bushings and a Thermostat sandwich plate.

Got the door bushings fitted. The doors definately have that nicer shut noise,but on the odd occasion they need a firmer push to shut them. I guess in time they'll wear abit and it wont happen so much.

Over the past week or so i've been busy making more DIY parts for the car. I first started with another sheet of Dibond and made the front splitter,followed by some front Canards out of some thin aluminium (it may be too thin,but will see how i get on)

I decided to curve the splitter into the corners of the bumper rather than having it the same width all the way around. Made some brackets from some 25x2mm steel plate and mounted to where the OEM undertray bolts to (i used the front stud).

I originally left the centre of the splitter and used the two threaded parts on the bottom of the intercooler to mount it,but this pulled the splitter down leaving a gap underneath the bumper. So i cut the a section out of the middle so the intercooler fit snug-ish and made some brackets (will need to re-do them at some point as they're not the prettiest). Lastly i used a couple of adjustable turnbuckle rods for the centre.

I have noticed the splitter has pulled over to the passenger side since re-fitting the bumper. I'll get it up on a ramp and see if i can pull it across. It was a very very snug fit fitting the bumper back on,hopefully theres enough give in the brackets (once slackened off) to move it back across.

Next was fitting some tension cables to the wing stands. I used some 4mm wire cable with some 6mm clamps and eyelet bolts. Its definitely made a difference,its not swaying from side to side as i'm driving now

I haven't had the chance to drive it 'properly' yet due to all the rain we've had recently. From what i have driven it,it does feel more stable and the front hasnt gotten much lift (from what i can tell)

After taking the above photos,i notice how badly i need to adjust the suspension,another thing on my to-do list

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

JamieH (12-14-2015),Phatmiata (05-13-2017),WASABI (12-14-2015)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Finally got round to adjusting the coilovers (lowered the front 10mm and raised the rear 5mm). The Works were catching on the rear arches,rather than fitting new tyres (going from a 205/50 to a 195/50) it was easier to raise it.
    So the Works went back on the car to test for clearance and so far no issues

** I am aware the tyres are fitted incorrectly,the wheels will be coming off again soon for a good clean and a coat of wax **

The rear diffuser will be removed shortly,i've got another one coming

After taking the photos,i noticed i need to adjust the turnbuckle rods on the front splitter,as its pulling up on one side

I really need to clean the car lol

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

JamieH (12-20-2015),Paul B (12-20-2015),Phatmiata (05-13-2017)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    My other half bought me a new steering wheel for Christmas,was a good excuse to order some new bolts too

Just before Christmas i headed over to a local company that sells spares and performance parts for Lotus. I guess a perk of where i live is the Lotus factory isn't too far either. I asked to look at their available diffusers as i wasn't 100% happy with the DIY one i had made. So i drove away with their GT3 diffuser,just so happens to be the largest diffuser they do.

Before i get told a million times about the placement/angle of the diffuser,i know it needs to be angled up more to be effective. The people of Facebook have already kindly shouted this at me many times already

As i've said in the previous posts,i hold my hands up to the Aero not being functional,and that it is mainly for aesthetics

I've also rounded the corners off the Garage Star Wing Stands and had them powder coated Gloss Black

I've also re-made the Wing>Wing Stand brackets to tilt it abit more (for those extra scene points yO)

Two track days booked,one at the Lotus Test Track in February and then my local Track Snetterton in April

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-10-2016),Phatmiata (05-13-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    The diffuser needs to be angled up more to be effective!!

Just kidding, looks much better than before!

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    While out driving i noticed some steam coming from the front of the car,originally thinking it was the car in front being abit smokey. After some inspection it was the hose coming off the Water Pump,i knew it was close to the manifold,but didnt realise it was touching. I've been lucky as its been like this for quite awhile and never had any issues.

Ordered a new hose and found out that the metal tubing from a vacuum cleaner is the exact same size! Sorted

You may remember Adam at RevLimiter making me some bespoke gauges with a Purple Monster logo and purple diamond stitch in the backgorund. I asked him if he could make me some for my AEM gauges. I sent over some templates and he's done an incredible job as always!

A week or so ago i met up with a few MX5 owners for our monthly midnight meet. Took the camera with me,would have been rude not to take some photos of the 'ol gal

I do my best to keep on top of things,but sadly one thing that has always been neglected and thats the Coilovers. I've never cleaned them,never greased them or serviced them. When i adjusted them a month or so ago,i think i've buggered up the pre-load and it knocks on the passenger side. Good excuse to buy some news one 'ey?

These will be fitted this week (weather depending). Will bed them in and get it laser aligned along with some new alignment bolts

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (12-20-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (02-23-2016),Phatmiata (05-13-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Love the new AEM gauge faces! Really like that they match the interior, looks clean and consistent, and I simply LOVE these details, IMO they make a huge difference. One tiny little thing, I would make the gauge blanking plate a single one, I do not really like that it is two pieces. Other that that, the car looks stunning!

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Good point,i only used two single ones because they're a 'proper' fitment for the NB dash. I've tried the universal ones on Ebay before and they're useless.

I'll see if i can get one made

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-24-2016)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Small update

I finally got round to replacing the front Rota RKR 8js for some 9js

The HSDs got bedded in,new RKRs fitted and then a full geometry done

I've got the car booked in next week for a new exhaust back box to be made along with some other bits and pieces i've done,but i'll save those for the next update

22. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (05-13-2017)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Oh i forgot to add that i received my photos from the track day at Lotus Test Track. I'm not happy with the quality of the images,tried to improved them with Adobe Lightroom but when the original image is bad,theres not much you can do.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-09-2016),Munky (03-09-2016),Phatmiata (05-13-2017),Willywongka (03-10-2016)

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 LastLast