Thread: Smartphone Stereo Integration/Replacement

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CMP's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Crystal White
    Thanks Given

Smartphone Stereo Integration/Replacement

I recently installed this into my car and I've had some inquiries on how it works, so I decided to write up the diagrams and point you to the products you need to make it work and say goodbye to your traditional head unit.

Things you'll need:

- iSimple PolyWire IS75: This has an iPhone connector as well as a 2mm audio connector for other Smartphones. I picked this up off of Amazon.com for $15 + shipping as an 'open box' special.

- PAC LC-1 remote level controller: This is a conventional means to control your audio volume via a knob, since some smartphones won't allow adjustment of the audio while docked. Also around $15 on Amazon.com.

- A cradle for the phone (optional). I used a RAM products iPhone 4 dock, which the last item on this page, less than $10.

- A 2-channel amplifier for running without subwoofers, or a 4-channel amplifier for use with subwoofers. My installation uses subwoofers but I have provided both wiring schematics. Wattage may vary, I use a 200w amp for my project and it handles the sound just fine. YMMV.

- An adapter harness for your stock audio harness. This is optional if you don't give a crap about hacking your stock harness.

Follow the schematics below for hooking up the components. For those who wish to keep headrest speakers, they are interchangeable with either the tweeters or the subwoofers in either schematic. Just follow the instructions and adjust your subwoofer bandpass filters accordingly.

If you can't figure out how to run wires through the cockpit or tap power sources, this probably isn't the project for you.

For installations with subwoofers:

iPhone Stereo Subs.jpg

For installations without subwoofers:

iPhone Stereo No Subs.jpg

There are a few optional components you can add, such as equalizers or bluetooth connectivity, which just replace or are wired in between the components listed here.

End result:

ddmworks.jpg
    Last edited by CMP; 10-09-2013 at 10:16 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMP For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-07-2013),Malibu Q (04-29-2014),Phatmiata (04-18-2014),SM16RMSM (10-08-2013)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    great!

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    So no head unit at all, just a nice hi-fi system based on a smart phone. Pretty cool.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    So no head unit at all, just a nice hi-fi system based on a smart phone. Pretty cool.
    I was planning on going this route since I really don't need a head unit but I bought your head unit instead. And I had it all planned out too.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    That kenwood head unit is nice though. Lots of sound tailoring you can't do with a phone plus no stupid CD player. I'll take it back if you don't want it. ;)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Right now I'm plugging my iphone into a Rockford Fosgate amp that's almost as old as my car. I use a mini jack to RCA cable and use the phone's volume buttons. It's okay, but the solution above would be better, I'm sure.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    will this work with a bose system?

Drives
    1991 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    I don't see why not but I don't know anything about the Bose systems. NA4Lyfe!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    On a Bose system, it's a bit tricky. The Bose speakers use very low impedance speakers, so an aftermarket amp has to be able to handle it, few can. The other route is to bypass the factory Bose system altogether. This requires new speakers, amp and wires. I am sure there are other ways, but you need to understand the Bose system's specs.

Just my opinion, but the Bose system is not that good.

I ran a mechless headunit (JVC-no CD player), a small 300w 2 channel amp, new 8" door speakers, and new speaker wires. Maybe spent $350 altogether, installed it myself, and it outclassed the factory Bose by a large margin. It also gave me iPod control+charging, Bluetooth, Pandora, hands-free calling, microphone, fantastic sound tailoring, better bass, and color-matching illumination. On top of that I was able to convert the Bose's clunky 2 din unit to a 1 din AND add an OEM cubby underneath the new headunit where you can run an integrated charging line separately for your phone or whatever.

I know this is differnt than the OPs config, but it's just a note that you can do better for little money than the OEM stuff.

This route allowed me to only need the power, switched power, ground and power antenna line to be wired to the new headunit, instead of having to dig into the centerstack console to cut and splice the wires off the Bose amps. The addition of the new amp and speaker wires means I just had to run one RCA cable from the headunit to the amp, power for the amp to the trunk, ground, and aremote line to power the amp on and off with the headunit. I ran higher-quality 12 gauge speaker wires from the amp to the doors using mostly stock locations.
    (http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ll=1#post85233)

Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for this informative post. That iSimple PolyWire looks like a good product. I'm thinking of upgrading my audio after reading this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Malibu Q For This Useful Post:

CMP (04-29-2014)

Drives
    1991 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    It's a good product. It handles charging as well as audio distribution.

The nice thing about this setup is that when I replace my phone, I can opt to use the 2mm audio plug or replace the dock and PolyWire and still only be out about $10-$40 and a few minutes of effort.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    I'm interested in a bluetooth/no HU setup. The less cords to attach, the better, imho. I can use a removable charging cord when needed.
    Something like this, but hard-wired in for power, connected directly to the amp, and hidden:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4V8RzDKSY8

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Recently i ordered an fam modulator bc my bose cd player didn't work all of a sudden. .......... can't wait to throw it off a bridge!

Anyone know the ohm for the Bose door speakers

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I believe they are something like 0.5 ohms.