Thread: My Miatas rev-limiter is gone!! Overclocked ECU

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ctrench's Avatar
    Drives
    1993 Crystal White
    Thanks Given

My Miatas rev-limiter is gone!! Overclocked ECU

Well i noticed today, while doing a 1-3 pull, that i have no rev limiter, or at least nothing up to 8k... i thought it was wierd, so afterward, i revved the motor up so that it would bounce off revlimiter and it never hit, it just kept going, so i let off before it went past 8k

i have a 93 with the stock ecu, and im not sure why its doing this, and was interested to see if anyone has heard of this.

Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    If that's the ECU you bought from me, it may be modded. In fact... it's probably the one out of my car, and it IS modded.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    My brother in laws old miata did this too!

Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    If the ECU has been modded, the typical mod is a crystal replacement. This overclocks the ECU so that it runs faster and essentially "sees" the events that it is monitoring as being slower than they actually are.

This one is most likely modded from an 8 MHz to 9 MHz, an increase of 12.5%. The way it effects the car is that it raises the rev limit by 12.5%, and also stretches the timing and fuel maps. It doesn't really decrease fuel by 12.5%, though. What it does is delivers the fuel at XXXX actual rpm that it is programmed to deliver at an rpm 12.5% less.

So, the factory rev limit is actually 6900 rpm. The tach lies. It's quite optimistic, showing that you can wrap a stock 1.6 all the way to somewhere between 7200 and 7500... but the limit is actually 6900. (look at anybody's stock dyno plot... stops at 6900)

If I'm right, this ECU has a 9MHz crystal, which raises that rev limit by 12.5% to 7762 rpm. Now, if your tach is showing you at least 7200 for an actual 6900, it stands to reason that it will show over 8000 for an actual 7762. And I remember having that ECU in my car. I never EVER hit the rev limiter! It would zing all the way up to an indicated 8000... and dammit, that's enough! I never pushed it further than that. But, if you kept going, you'd either float valves, break something, or hit the rev limit. It IS there.

FYI, what it's doing to fuel and timing... say you're at 3000 rpm. The ECU sees that as 2625 rpm. So, it delivers timing advance and fuel pulsewidth as if you were at 2625. It sounds bad, but when you're cruising around town, you're in closed loop and O2 feedback is correcting the fuel mixture. The actual fuel map only comes into play when the engine is cold and when you're at WOT. When you're at WOT, a stock Miata is PIG RICH. Like 11.5:1 rich. I dynoed my '96 with a modded ECU (10%) and found that while it was leaner, it was still "safely rich" enough for NA. (13's and less)

Much more info about this mod here on some other forum.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MazRoadAdmin For This Useful Post:

Grip Driver (12-23-2013),kung fu jesus (12-23-2013),lowandrusty (12-24-2013),Phatmiata (12-23-2013),Pyr0monk3y (12-24-2013),Slampen (12-23-2013),The Driver (01-20-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    ^Pretty cool info.

Wow, an admin who is actually involved in a forum, AND knows his stuff. I like that. Most forums I'm on the admin is no where to be found.
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I once shifted from third gear full throttle into second gear by accident and saw the tach over rev hard

What I'm trying to say is don't rev a stock engine too high, or it may cause damage lol..

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Loren, that post was amazeballs!

Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    Heh. I don't really follow this forum that much. Just happened to catch this thread at the top of the new post list.

But, thanks!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ctrench's Avatar
    Drives
    1993 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    THANKS LOREN! that probably it, cause i took that ecu and gave my buddy my ecu so he could get around town, yeah it definetly scared me when it happened, i thought my nitrous f'ed something up.

but it still pulled hard all the way up to 8k, though it makes me skeptical about auto-xing the car now because i know before i hit limiter a couple times each auto-x

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Loren, that post was amazeballs!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (01-17-2014),I<3flippyheadlights (01-17-2014),kung fu jesus (01-16-2014),mrbelobrov (01-20-2014),The Driver (01-20-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    You bored today, Randy?
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    He must be.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrench View Post
    Well i noticed today, while doing a 1-3 pull, that i have no rev limiter, or at least nothing up to 8k... i thought it was wierd, so afterward, i revved the motor up so that it would bounce off revlimiter and it never hit, it just kept going, so i let off before it went past 8k

i have a 93 with the stock ecu, and im not sure why its doing this, and was interested to see if anyone has heard of this.
    Yeah, it's a crystal mod. My mr2 and my old miata came with one, After a few months I finally got a Megasquirt and a real tune. I can't wait to get one for my 96.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Thanks Given

My Miatas rev-limiter is gone!! Overclocked ECU

Your car did not rev that high. The Miata tach is wildly inaccurate at high RPMs. If you were to attach an external tach and do the same thing again, you'd see the revs are actually where they should be. I have an overclocked ECU (for now, anyhow) with a 10% increase. It shows well past where it should be on the car, but hooked up to an external tack (at the dyno and also when tuning on a PC), it was, as I said, right where it should be. Don't sweat it and keep driving it.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ibid's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 White Miata
    Thanks Given
    this is a 'trick' some cheater spec miata drivers do too for that extra edge (my ecu's have always been stock though)