Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Roadster Ready for launch

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Roadster Ready for launch

All-new sports car due in 2015; Unique look with elongated bonnet, crisp lines and clean surfaces; Normally aspirated 1.5 and 2.0-litre engines n Hard-top and soft-top planned

This Autocar image shows how the new Mazda MX-5 might look

The new Mazda MX-5 will have “very clean and simple” styling to be what a company veteran calls “our best-looking car ever”.

On sale in 2015, the new MX-5 is tipped to appear early that year at February’s Chicago show, where the original MX-5 was launched in 1989.

The engineering and styling details of the eagerly awaited two-seater are understood to centre on new, more muscular proportions in which the front axle is pushed forward to give a long-bonnet look to emphasise the rear-drive powertrain.

“It is such a good-looking car — recognisable as an MX-5, but with very clean styling,” said an insider.

Design chief Ikuo Maeda and his team have developed a new and unique styling theme for both the MX-5 and its platform twin, the RX-7 coupι. The look is different from that used on Mazda’s hatches and saloons.

During an interview at the Tokyo show last November, Maeda told Autocar that the MX-5 would have its own interpretation of the firm’s ‘Kodo’ design language.

“It won’t be like the Mazda 3 or 6,” Maeda said. “Kodo can express our range in different ways. My intent is to make it tighter looking visually, but still to have a strong presence.”

Maeda also emphasised that the design will not be retro, a reference interpreted to mean distancing the new car from the soft and rounded styling of the original 1989 MX-5.

In practice, the next-gen MX-5 is understood to feature simple body surfaces without the pronounced wheel arch bulges and intersecting styling lines that give the 3 and 6 their unique character.

A significant detail will be a simple face built around a smooth front nosecone and lower air intake — the basic stylistic building blocks that have characterised all three MX-5 models since 1989.

That is likely to mean a lower air intake with a little more angular shaping, rather than the ovoid look of past models.The MX-5 definitely won’t feature the brash, five-point grille of the 3 and 6.

An important new feature of the MX-5 will be a relatively long wheelbase inside dimensions that grow slightly and closer to an overall length of four metres. Today’s model is 3975mm long.

Prototypes of the new MX-5 snapped recently at the Nόrburgring can now be seen to show off this extended dimension. Multiple layers of disguise between the scuttle and front axle are intended to disguise it.

The longer bonnet is partly necessary to accommodate Mazda’s new SkyActiv petrol engines, which employ a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold that takes up a relatively long space to encourage free-flowing air out of the combustion chambers to improve efficiency.

The same 4-2-1 exhaust manifold has resulted in the ‘long bonnet’ dimensions of the new 3, whose bulkhead and cabin are pushed back by 100mm compared with rivals.

A new generation of stratified-charge HCCI versions of this engine — tipped to be on sale during the new MX-5’s life cycle — might need an even longer exhaust manifold.

The engines will be naturally aspirated versions of the SkyActiv petrol engine, most likely in 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre capacities, but some markets might take only a single variant.

Early reports suggested that the MX-5 would feature a turbocharged 1.5-litre engine, but Mazda has since decided to concentrate on naturally aspirated engines.

Engineers are confident that Mazda can hit Europe’s fleet average figure of 95g/km of CO2 by 2021 without using forced induction.

The new MX-5 is likely to be launched with much-improved fuel economy figures as Mazda targets efficiency gains of 30 per cent by 2015.

Power outputs for the MX-5 have yet to be confirmed, but expect typically conservative horsepower figures matched to a low kerb weight to deliver a rewarding driving experience.

A kerb weight of just over 1100kg will make the MX-5 lighter than its rivals and Mazda has proven adept at making its recent models the lightest in their class.

Insiders are pulling back from an earlier commitment to hit 1000kg. “That’s a very, very difficult figure to achieve in practice,” said one insider.

Given the competitive price of the MX-5, it is engineered around conventional steel construction, although detailed attention to individual componentry is contributing to weight reduction.

Just like today’s MX-5, the new model is being engineered with two roof mechanisms: a folding metal hard-top and conventional soft-top.

The hard-top will be focused on the European and Japanese markets, the multi-layer canvas top on the US market.

High demand in the UK — Europe’s biggest market for the MX-5 — for the folding hard-top has largely been responsible for keeping the two different roofs in production.

The second generation of the folding hard-top is said to be lighter and packaged more efficiently, delivering slightly improved boot volume.

source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...-5-2015-launch
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MRnewsBot For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (01-16-2014),Benbrg (01-16-2014),fwdtamiya (01-16-2014),horribleR (01-16-2014),Ihatecars (01-16-2014),Phatmiata (01-16-2014),tsingson (01-16-2014),WASABI (01-19-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    mx5nc2
    Thanks Given
    thanks news bot.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    "Might look". It's always "might". I like the original image from the nose back, but I like it with the 2016 RX-7 nose better...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

theothersawyer (01-16-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    "Thanks Given" MRNewBot !!! I'm excited to see the new 4th Generation Mazda MX5 Roadster

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    TLDR: It will be heavier than expected, just as heavy as the NC it seems. It actually is just as long as in the Nurburgring pictures. It will use the skyactiv, but will be NA, that engine currently makes 155hp in the Mazda3. (Assuming theyre not going to even try the smaller 1.5l engine here).

So...power/weight will likely stay the same or get worse, short wheel base fun is out the window and it's ugly to boot (that front end anyway). At least the RX-7 is coming. Because they will share the same platform, maybe parts will be easily swappable for the guys who purchase the ND. Since focus has shifted to fuel efficiency maybe it will feature a partially flat bottom?

Edit: I'm being a negative Nancy because I'm sick.
    Last edited by fwdtamiya; 01-16-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I will reserve judgement until unveiling.

"stratified-charge HCCI"
    THAT is interesting...

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I kinda like it. Pretty excited about this one.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch curvingedge's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazdaspeed3
    Thanks Given
    Can't wait to see it. IF I am interested in getting an ND, I will wait a few years to get the kinks out and get the best body package...

Couldn't imagine selling my NB

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Flyin 92's Avatar
    Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    I can dig it. I'm sure Mazda will make plenty of design changes between now and it's official unveil.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"
    Link to the most lack-luster build in MR history

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Autocar

Early reports suggested that the MX-5 would feature a turbocharged 1.5-litre engine, but Mazda has since decided to concentrate on naturally aspirated engines.

Wait, you mean NO turbo version? BOOOOOOOOOOOO

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    never trust the artist renderings

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch mc70's Avatar
    Drives
    '96 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    IMO that's a very pretty design. The description pushes all my happy buttons about simple and unique design queues that aren't toting the same silly designs all the other Mazdas are these days.

Handsome, nice prortions, a slightly more elongated nose (which all prior Miatas really needed for correct proportion), and a lack of over-exaggerated, stupid body arches makes me smile. It is a sophisticated design which is something, honestly, the Miata has never had.

I'm diggin' it.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Looks a bit like a Benz, which isn't a bad thing.

Drives
    NA6
    Thanks Given
    This is my favourite ND render so far. Unfortunatley the image is a shopped F-type with an SLS grill, so I wouldn't expect anything from this to carry over to the actual ND

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Except the wheels I really like new miata I will probably buy one

In contradiccion here is an article with a different looking like miata.

Article
    http://www.carthrottle.com/exclusive...ill-look-like/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast