Thread: Mazda Designer Talks about 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

Mazda Designer Talks about 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Mazda USA design director Derek Jenkins promises us that the next Mazda MX-5 Miata will look younger, more masculine, and more expensive—and nothing at all like an Alfa Romeo.

Derek Jenkins has spent the last five years wiping away Mazda’s Jack-O-Lantern grin. Since he joined Mazda in 2009, the automaker has introduced three mature, premium-looking vehicles—the Mazda CX-5, the Mazda 6, and the Mazda 3. Up next is his biggest challenge yet, the next-generation MX-5 Miata. Mazda has sold more than 900,000 examples of the MX-5 over more than two decades, but sales of the car have slowed in recent years. Jenkins sat down with Automobile editors Robert Cumberford and David Zenlea to discuss what’s next for the iconic roadster.

Automobile: You’ve managed to give rear-wheel-drive proportions to the front-wheel-drive the Mazda 6 and Mazda 3, but it must have taken lots of work. It must be nice to be dealing with the next-generation design of a car that’s actually rear-wheel drive, like the Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Derek Jenkins: “Who said it will be rear-wheel drive? [Laughs] Absolutely. Having a proper FR [front-engine, rear-wheel drive] architecture to work off of is the dream. And we’re really proud of where that’s headed.

AM: One thing the Miata has never been is on the cutting edge of styling. Will that continue with the next version?

DJ: The next MX-5 needs to be true to the DNA of an MX-5. So much of our energy has to be focused toward that goal.

The challenge we have is evolving the image of that car, which involves expanding the audience of that car. The average buying audience of the MX-5 is continuing to get older and older. That’s something we’ve really been concentrating on. How to reconnect to a younger customer? Honor the tradition of the consummate roadster, but make it fresh enough and new enough that it appeals to a new audience.

AM: The Porsche Boxster, which we think of as sort of a grown up, expensive Miata, has evolved to become more masculine. Is that where the Miata is headed?

DJ: In general, with the new generation of cars, we try to inject a masculine quality. I don’t use the word aggressive in the context of trying to make a beautiful car. We’re not trying to make something that’s a brute or something that’s hyper aggressive. It’s got to be balanced.

AM: One of the things that bothers us about new convertibles is how high the window sills are, which makes the cockpit feel small and confining. Will you keep those low?

DJ: I think our guys will figure that out.

AM: Do you have any input on the styling of the roadster that Mazda is going to build for Alfa Romeo?

DJ: Not really, no. They’re obviously developing their car on the same platform as us, and there’s going to be certainly be certain components of the underlying architecture that will carry over…

AM: Like the cowl location and height, for instance?

DJ: Things like that. Basic platform hard points.

AM: Does the current, more expensive MX-5 Miata model with a power-operated hard top point to where the next-generation Miata as a whole is headed?

DJ: Not necessarily. But the retractable hard top currently represents up to fifty percent of our MX-5 sales. So, we’ll address that going forward.

From the CX-5 forward we’ve had much greater focus on interior design and overall interior layout. And the MX-5 will represent the big step for us in that area. Usability, drivability, attention to detail, material quality—all of that will be at another level.

AM: There won’t be a coupe model, right?

DJ: Well, there never has been. You can be sure that from Mazda MX-5, the focus will continue to be on the convertible.

AM: How about retro cues. It’s got to have retractable headlamps, right?

DJ: [Laughs] Try and get that through pedestrian impact [standards]! I don’t think we’re looking to literally translate any specific elements from the original Miata. But, I’ll tell you this: We did spend a tremendous amount of time focusing again on the first-generation car, and that’s because it has obviously stood the test of time beautifully. The key to that is the simplicity of that car. And it’s got great proportions. Very simple, very pure, and that’s from a surface standpoint as well as from a detail standpoint. That kind of conceptual thinking is more where we’re headed. We looked with the next-generation MX5 to really concentrate on the simplicity and purity of the car.

AM: Is there any input from the Mazda Ibuki concept that debuted in Tokyo in 2003? That car was a very simple section car.

DJ: That car was really more of a precursor of the current car. There’s no relationship to that in where we’re headed.

AM: Will the new Miata open a new chapter in Mazda design or will it be an evolution of the Kodo language we’re seeing on the Mazda CX-5, Mazda 6, and Mazda 3?

DJ: The Mazda MX-5, although it will always be connected to its generation of [Mazda] vehicles, it also sits just slightly on its own. It will have to ride that line.

AM: When will the new Mazda MX-5 Miata debut?

MAZDA MEDIA OFFICER: [Interrupting] Someday. Not today.

source: http://m.automobilemag.com/features/...xt-mx-5-miata/
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MRnewsBot For This Useful Post:

imperfekt (02-02-2014)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    There won’t be a coupe model, right?

*Well, there never has been....
    Sir! Step away from the Miata

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

Dandy (01-16-2014),Ihatecars (02-02-2014),imperfekt (02-02-2014),Phatmiata (02-04-2014),SM16RMSM (01-16-2014)

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    "nothing at all like an Alfa Romeo" . . . hmmmm, that's not necessarily a good thing. It's not like italian designed sports cars have ever made much of an impression or anything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dandy For This Useful Post:

Martin (01-28-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    .... I am sorry I read this thread......

most of his answers were IDK....

well at least we know there never was a coupe made. If I was interviewing him, I would have gotten up, flipped the nearest large furniture I can find, and walked out yelling "I can't work under these conditions!"

I might be a little angry still from my last post. I might be just Hangry as well...

I just don't get it.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iKhanh's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    there were coupes made, JDM only if i recall correctly... and very rare.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by iKhanh View Post
    there were coupes made, JDM only if i recall correctly... and very rare.
    don't be stupid. He clearly stated there never has been...He works for mazda. He knows more than you...

/end sarcasm

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HELLIONMX5 For This Useful Post:

imperfekt (02-02-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power imperfekt's Avatar
    Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    i enjoyed this read - i'm glad the next gen miata will be "simple" and made partly as a result of serious studying of the original NA concept...
    Last edited by imperfekt; 02-02-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    had to....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to imperfekt For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (02-03-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Nice! I'm going to email it to Mazda lol.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLIONMX5 View Post
    Nice! I'm going to email it to Mazda lol.
    you need to find that specific designers email and send it to him.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    No coupe! I love the coupe's, that were never made and we all apparently just dreamed up!

Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    heh heh

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch ZOOMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 MX-5 Laguna Blue
    Thanks Given
    Every ND thread has been such a disappointment, but this one is really confusing. I don't mind seeing an artists rendering of what it could look like, but an actual Mazda designer talking in circles and sounding disconnected from the brand is downright mind boggling. Maybe he is sworn to keep everything a secret. The media officer did cut him off and shut down the interview. Also, who doesn't know about the NB coupe? Even my BMW and VW friends know of it. Put some real enthusiasts back into the major car companies payroll, please.
    ~ 1994 Mazda MX-5 Laguna Blue ~ 1964 Beechcraft 35 - B33 Debonair ~ 2002 Mazda Protegé5 ~