Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Slow Pursuit of Vintage.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Hey Jamie, Glad you are OK.
    Your car was always an inspiration because Betty was no garage queen and you were enjoying her to the fullest.

As they say happens when unknown situations arise.
    We are all here for you just like we were for Bryan.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

JamieH (08-28-2018),oldgrayleather (08-28-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Really sorry to hear about the accident, Jamie but glad you were uninjured and Betty, more or less, drove away too. Love Laguna Blue and look forward to what is done but even happier you are repairing Betty! Keep your head up Jamie!
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 08-28-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Glad that you are ok, Jamie. Take care man. Just like a Phoenix, she will rise from the ashes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Jamie, it was always so very clear from your posts and the work you did on Betty how you truly felt. It must be heart crushing but so glad to hear that you want to bring her back. For too many of us on this forum “it’s just a car” is simply not a thing. But you being safe is even more important and I’m so glad you’ll be around to take care of her!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (08-30-2018),JamieH (08-29-2018),Roadster7 (08-29-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Well, crap. Betty is an exceptional example of a well-built NA, sad to see this happening. The important bit though, as we all realize, is that you are OK. I would worry most about the windshield frame, but as you said, it looks fixable, and on the plus side the newest addition to the family looks gorgeous.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

JamieH (08-29-2018),oldgrayleather (08-29-2018)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BRGNA8's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 378 Posts
    " I know Betty is "just a car", but that doesn't change how I felt, how I feel, about her"

I don't think any of us on this forum think our cars is "just a car" so I, along with everyone else here, can totally relate to how you feel. In the end though, as much as we love our cars, they can be replaced. There is only one Jamie in this world and I'm really glad you're ok mate! The photo gave me goosebumps but firstly, thank God you're ok. Secondly, amazing score on that Laguna blue! looks exceptional. And thirdly, SO good to hear that Betty WILL be back in the near future! One of my favourite NA's on here. Black with Tan, Nakamae seats and mods done so perfectly that it was an inspiration to me as well as others I'm sure.

Looking forward to how you mod the new addition to the stable.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

JamieH (08-30-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I am sorry, this is always my worst fear when driving these tiny cars especially around roads I dont know. Man this is a huge bummer and I know it sucks but you are ALIVE!!! You can rebuild her, or make an even better one!! We cannot replace YOU here on the forum! So dont lose hope, everything happens for a reason, maybe this is a test or caulk it up to experience, whatever it was the most important thing is you are okay. I can definitely relate to missing a car, I still kick myself for selling the white Miata with red interior I had.

Laguna with LE Red interior would be the SICKEST !!! I am happy to help you source any parts you need for this next build!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

JamieH (08-30-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Thank You, all of you, for your kind words. Really, they mean a lot. This is such a great community and I'm just glad to be a part of it.

So, guess I need to start moving forward again. About that Laguna...

2 years ago at MATG I saw this Laguna for the first time.

Just stunning, isn't it? I'd seen plenty of Lagunas over the past 5 years in person, and plenty since. But none looked as good in my eyes as thus one. I saw it again last year.

And that 2nd year I met the owner, Steve. That's me helping him out with the battery tie-down.

Both times the car was for sale. Both times I thought how awesome it would be to one day own the car. During my first encounter with Steve I got to hear about the car a little and in particular, the story behind the hardtop.

Apparently he found it through a company that buys manutacturer NOS parts. Surpringly, they didn't even know what it was. He told me it was brand new, still in the shipping crate from Mazda. And not only did they have the one, but 5 more in the same color, and others in other colors. Absolutely crazy. And the top's condition? Boy oh boy does it show. Near perfect, and that's not hyperbole. You know the trim that goes along bottom rear? Zero signs of shrinkage. The little square piece of trim at the top center of the glass? Zero signs of fade. And the latches? M.I.N.T.Y. I can not state enough how nice the HT is.

I'm getting ahead of myself here, I need to back up here, insert this between what I've typed up below. So, what happened with Betty happened. I was distraught, no clue what I was going to do. I felt like I only had two choices. Repair Betty or get a Laguna to tranfer as much of Betty into, for that to then be Betty. And while still during MATG I had thought of Steve and his Laguna. I knew he had it for sale before. So why not try to see him at the event? Well, I looked, but couldn't find him. Fast forward a week later, and I start to do some googling to find a way to get in contact with him having no info on him besides knowing he owns a Laguna Blue Miata, and, thanks to the few pics I had of his car, resided in Georgia.

Thankfully, I came across his M dot net post from last year; he was asking what his car was worth. Not a 100% sure it was the same fellow, I sent an email asking if he had been at MATG last year with his Laguna and if it had been for sale at the time. I got his reply. BINGO! It was him. From there a few more email exchanges. Then a phone call. All that was holding me up was having to wait on everything from insurance to be settled. Which that is a story unto itself. One I don't want to get into. Lets just say they were thankfully a bit more generous the 2nd time around.

So, I had money in hand and was ready to go see the car in person, again, see if my memory and it's actual condition lined up. But I didn't go alone. I went with 2 good friends. I could have gone alone, I had planned to if need be; to take my truck and a u-haul trailer. Instead, my friends told me they'd love to help and to go with.

Last Friday we left early in the morning for GA. About 420 miles later we arrived at Steve's place. It was time. Steve came out, greeted us, and then opened his garage and pulled the cover off the Laguna. There it was, looking as mint as could be. But then he started it up and pulled it out into the daylight. Laguna Blue always looks good. But in sunlight? It dances. That's all it took. I knew I was buying it in that moment.

This was after we placed the hardtop on. Here some before that with the softop up. Steve is going over the car and telling me about it and what he had done/taken care of and answered my questions as best he could.

And a couple with the top down.

Of course I still inspected it, of course I still looked at it like I was judging it. But there wasn't anything that was going to change my mind. I found a few minor flaws and issues, but I reminded myself the car is 24 (25 by the build date) years old and still has it's original paint. Part of me also just wanted to make it happen. The sooner I bought it, the sooner I would be moving forward with Betty's revival. Or so I thought, more on that later.

While at Steve's he told me his history with the car. That he had owned it for the past 15 years. Incredible. Told me that only Mazmart and R Speed had worked on the car; never a dealer while in his posession. He reiterated the story about having sold his previous Laguna and immediately regretting it as the new owner drove off. Then beginning his search for another Laguna. One that took him 18 months to find this one. And it was by complete chance. While on a business trip in Florida, he spotted the car in the airport parking lot as his plane was taxiing. Next time he was there, he left a note on the car inquiring about purchasing the car. The previous owner hadn't thought about selling it, but she was open to it. And that's how he came into posession of the Laguna.

Steve kept fantastic care of the car, it's condition speaks volumes about his own high level of attention to detail. And he never cheaped out on parts or repairs. As it sits, it has the following.

Koni Yellow shocks
    Racing Beat sway bars
    R Speed shock tower brace
    OEM R-pack front and rear lips
    OEM R-pack rear spoiler
    Hella E-code H4 headlight housings
    Extra foam added to the driver's seat
    R Speed chrome vent rings
    Chrome handebrake handle
    Chrome ball shift knob
    Leather shifter & handbrake boots
    M Edition stainless door sill plates
    Oris windblocker

But the centerpiece of his additions is the radio. He installed a OEM Mazda 6-disc CD changer with tape deck headunit which came from a Mazda MPV. It looks incredibly stock. He also improved the headrest speakers with the Jeff Anderson correction.

He also had the timing belt and all related maintenance taken care of at 75k miles. At that time he also had a new OEM radiator installed. Really, the car doesn't need anything.

Earlier I was ravving about the hardtop's condition. I didn't mean to distract from the rest of the car. It too is in stunning condition. 93k miles, OEM paint with minimal flaws. The kind that are difficult to photograph. Which, the paint is the biggest reason I pursued this very car. It is so hard to find a Laguna with original paint in good condition, let alone amazing. And thankfully, it's paint isn't the only thing in such condition.

Doors that open and close without rattles and with nice opening pops and clean closing shuts. An interior where the only seat wear is the tiniest of driver's left bolster. Smooth as can be engine, pulls healthily, tip top I tells ya. Good solid suspension too. The Koni Yellows and Racing Beat sways work well. I am thoroughly impressed with how well it rides and handles. No Xidas of course, but for a simple setup, it's nice. Shifts real smooth too. Really, it's a very nice car.

Two very different fellows admiring the same beautiful car in a stunning color.

The purchase from Steve was as smooth and friendly as any car purchase could go or be. Money changed hands, the title was signed, and we said our 1st goodbyes.

I can not be more thankful to have such good friends.

Steve is a complete gentleman and upstanding guy.

He gave me the time and chance to get things sorted afer I contacted him. He had planned to list the car after MATG this year. But he was completely understanding of my situation. If you're reading this, Steve, again, Thank You. Hopefully you aren't now spending time looking for another Laguna, again. But if ya are, I am confident you'll find another gem.

A happy new owner.

You may have noticed I said 1st goodbyes. Well, we decided to stop at Steak & Shake for lunch.

While there I realized something. I forgot to get the car cover he was giving me with the car. Since we were only about 20 minutes from his house, I contacted him about going back to grab it. So we treked back to his home for the car cover. I kind of felt guilty about having to do so. I could tell that while he was ready to let go of the car, he wouldn't have minded holding on to it for a bit longer. It may have been his vocal remarks and jokes about deciding to keep the car and not sell.

And with that, we were ready to go to the 2nd destination of our trip, Deal's Gap, aka Tail of the Dragon. Or so we thought. As about literally a couple miles from Steve's home, I went to shift to 5th and the shifter tried jumping over into the passenger footwell! No bueno. So we pulled off into a shopping center parking lot so I could inspect it.

Once I had the center console off I saw that both boots worn done for. Not really an issue, Mazda seemingly makes them from paper mache. But I was able to move the shifter up and down vertically about a 1/4-1/2". So out came the shifter itself. Once the lower shift boot was loose I could immediately see the problem. No upper shifter bushing. Crap.

I tried calling some local dealerships, but it was too late; all their parts departments were closed. Tried facebook to see if anyone in the area had what I needed. I looked online to see if any parts store would have something, but didn't see anything (or so I thought, I was being too hasty). My friends said they spotted an NA in the parking lot, thought maybe it was worth a shot to find the owner; see if they could be of help. While they were going from store to store asking about the owner of the red NA, I stayed with the Laguna trying to figure out a way to McGyver a temporary repair. And I did!

The plastic collar that holds the upper shifter boot to the shaft of the shifter just so happens to be close enough in size that it can function as a shifter bushing. I was astonished by such dumb luck. But it was a temporary fix that I wouldn't trust to drive on the Dragon with. So we needed a place nearby to stay to find a more suitable solution. Steve mentioned if we ever needed a place to stay while in the area to give him a call, so...

But he wasn't able to as his daughter and new grandchild were going to be staying with him that weekend. So I totally understood not being able to help us in that manner. But he did recommend a couple places and got me their info, as well as the nearest dealer's info. Really, Steve is a good human being. And with that, I said my final goodbye and thank you to him that weekend.

That night, with a place to rest, I was able to see that the nearest Advance Auto had a Dorman shifter repair kit in stock. So the next morning I still called the dealer 1st just to try to get something OEM. But no chance, not kept in stock. So off to the Advance I went. Once the kit was in hand I used what I needed and fixed it in the parking lot. Love how easy these cars are to work on.

With that we really were ready to go to the Dragon. Our drive consisted of going up the Suches Loop to reach 74 to 129. That was a nice drive. Would like to go back sometime and do the full loop. But it was during that drive that I came to a realization. Something my mind and heart had been fighting about. The Laguna was never going to be Betty. No matter how much of her I put in the Laguna, it wouldn't be her. It wouldn't be a black & tan NA. That's what Betty was from the start, and that's what she'll always be. But it's more than just a color combination. She's not just a collection parts, not just a shell, not just time spent making sure things are just right or a collection of all those things. I fell for Betty before all the parts, before all the time spent improving her. When I first bought Betty, I thought I wouldn't be putting the top down much. That changed within a week of having her. My heart won't let me simply move on to another car with her parts in it. No matter how much I tried to convince myself otherwise, the heart won out in the end.

Anyways, I was able to secure a place to stay at the last minute thanks to a wonderful apartment rental owner whose apartments I had stayed at before. Teresa is esa is a gracious and very accomodating host. While I didn't get the chance to see her this time, as has ben the case previously, her apartments were lovely and very comfortable. Far better than the typical motel/hotel.

Once unpacked and rested for a bit, we went up to the Dragon to get a run in. It has sort of become tradition that we take new to us cars to the Dragon to "break them in." It was also something I needed personally. As the accident had, and has still, left me gun-shy. It took all weekend to even begin to find my driving confidence again. I still have a mental block. I still keep thinking, keep seeing something similar will happen if I actually try pushing. But I have at least began my own emotional and mental recovery as far as driving goes.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

DT97STO (03-26-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (09-02-2018),HarryB (09-02-2018),MiataQuest (09-02-2018),sammjoey (01-09-2020)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    The rest of our weekend was pretty much trouble free and uneventful. Outside of our friend's FRS' throwout bearing going out, nothing else went wrong. Just a nice, good, relaxing weekend spent driving great roads, with great friends, enjoying good food. Here's some pics from Sat., Sun., & Mon.

Filling up at the Shell in Robbinsville.

Some from the Overlook.

Taking a break at the TotD/Killboy store.

Some dam pics from below.

And some from up top.

Now, the car isn't perfect. Nothing ever is though, is it? It's got a few minor issues I'll be resolving ASAP.

Windshield cowl plastic driver's side corner is broke off.
    Glovebox door catch tabs (when open) are both broke off.
    Radiator support has a few tiny spots of surface rust.
    Passenger door upper hinge has a little surface rust under the seam sealant.
    Front R-pack lip has some minor warpage under the driver's duct.
    3rd brake light wiring is broken off.
    Shifter boots torn and bushings worn.

Which I'm OK with it having these little problems. Got some improving to do. And speaking of, the first few things I'll be addressing with those minor issues are the following.

Roll bar
    '96-'97 tombstone
    '96-'97 hazard/pop-up switch
    Single DIN radio
    OEM dash pocket
    Armrest door cards
    Overhead interior lighting
    '97 OEM trunk light/latch
    I.L. Motorsports center console armrest pad
    R Speed diamond tooled vent rings
    Daikei hub boss
    Nardi wheel
    Nardi shift knob
    Nardi handbrake
    Shifter rebuild
    6ULs
    Eunos rebadge

Should be a good start to making the car my own. As it was with Betty, I'll do what I can when I can. But I aim to make the car just as good as she is. It'll be getting many of the same parts over time. Runabout mirrors, Zoom fuel lid, Xidas, Nakamae, etc.

But the big diffence will be the LE red interior. I have always wanted a Laguna with the '93LE interior. I've loved red interiors in blue cars since I first saw a '96 Corvette Grand Sport. Not the only OEM example of the combination, there's others, and I pretty much have liked them all. I'm convinced Laguna is the kind of blue that can pull off, and look drop dead gorgeous, with a red interior.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-02-2018),HarryB (09-02-2018),MiataQuest (09-02-2018),MikeA (09-01-2018),speedypenguin (09-02-2018)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    And here's the Laguna tucked away safely in my garage.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-02-2018),HarryB (09-02-2018),MiataQuest (09-02-2018),speedypenguin (09-02-2018)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I have a friend that has the Hard Dog Deuce hoops laying around if you were interested. He may also have a Hard Core Hardtop one coming up for sale if/when he does the full cage. I can get you in touch with him if needed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-02-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Thanks for the writeup; that was an excellent read! Are you also swapping the dash for an LE one? As far as the roll bar goes, my vote goes for the Deuce

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    You going to start a new thread for the Laguna Blue, Jamie?
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    You going to start a new thread for the Laguna Blue, Jamie?
    Possibly, but then again, I'll be doing a lot of similar/same mods/style for the Laguna. So, sharing Betty's thread would be apt. Have been picking up maintenance items here and there and a few resto items too.

Still don't have a name for it. I've thought of a few, but nothing has felt.. "right." But the two I keep thinking about are Eleanor and Rose.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (04-17-2019),oldgrayleather (04-17-2019)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Possibly, but then again, I'll be doing a lot of similar/same mods/style for the Laguna. So, sharing Betty's thread would be apt. Have been picking up maintenance items here and there and a few resto items too.

Still don't have a name for it. I've thought of a few, but nothing has felt.. "right." But the two I keep thinking about are Eleanor and Rose.

If you want to rename this thread, let me know.

Looking forward to the updates!

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122 LastLast