Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: The Slow Pursuit of Vintage.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    On my way to grab some lunch I saw a nice looking dark green '70 CHevelle SS sitting out front of the paint shop that is painting my GV panel. So I thought I'd stop on the way back to check it out and while there ask about the panel. The Chevelle was so sweet looking. And, to my surprise, they were done with the panel. They had meant to call me but had been tied up. So, I got home and put the panel with the rest of my Miata parts until I finished eating lunch.

Couldn't wait to get started, so lunch went by fast. But before I started work on installing the GV panel and lights, I decided to swap out the nose badge.

One final pic of the eternal flame emblem. I actually like it, more so than the later and current styled M emblem. But, I'm aiming to re-badge Betty so that she's an Eunos.

I never noticed it before, but the old emblem was actually a bit crooked. Also, eww, dirty and nasty, lets clean it.

Much better. Used some Scratch X to remove the trace of the old emblem.

There we go. That's what I've been wanting to see up front for a while now. Still don't know what I'm going to do with the Club NA nose emblem. For now I'll just keep it stored.

Alright, lets get started on the rear.

One of the last pics of the stock panel and lights.

Stock lights out.

Finish panel out.

GV panel taped and marked to drill the plate holes. I did a ton of test fitting. Checking the fit of this, of that, over there, and here. I must say, I'm quite impressed with how well the GV panel fits for it to be what it is. There was very minimal tweaking for everything to line up. But I did encounter a problem that I read someone else over on CR was having.

Here, we're looking through the reverse light mounting hole to see that the captive nut is actually hitting and keeping the panel from sitting flush. The same captive nut is interfering with the panel on both sides. This was a bit frustrating... but not something I couldn't solve. I figured my options were to remove the captive nut from the adapter piece and replace it with a regular nut and bolt facing inward or... break out the dremel. So, yeah, out came the dremel. I left the adapter pieces bolted up to Betty and got to trimming. After this, I kinda of forgot about taking pictures for a bit. So lets skip to where I started back with the pics.

With the GV panel mounted and fitted in it's final position. You may be able to see the other pieces that are fitted from inside the trunk. I didn't know what they were for when I first opened the box of goodies. And Adam doesn't mention them in his GV install post on his blog. I figure I could have been fine without them, but hey, GV included them, might as well install them too. They basically cover the tail lights from the inside and I guess the point of them is to protect the lights from anything that could roll around in the trunk. I'll try to get some pics of them tomorrow. I thought about taking pics of them before installing them, but... well, I didn't.

Thinking about it, I rather have the adapter pieces without the captive nuts and just use nuts and bolts with the bolts facing inward. If I ever get around to giving Betty a full respray, it may be something that I do with the GV kit. Anyways... lets finish this up.

Oh, yeah ,there we go. I'd have more pics of the finished result, but It's been raining all day today. So this will have to do until tomorrow when it's suppose to be clear and dry. Well, this is the almost finished result.

After seeing this emblem on Rooster, I knew I had to have it if I ever got the GV kit. Some might say I'm just copying what is on Rooster. And, OK, that's not a completely untrue statement. But, it's exactly right in my eyes. This particular "EUNOS" emblem looks like it could be found on a car from a much earlier time than the car it came on originally. Not to mention that the size is just perfect for the placement. And in case you're wondering, it's an Eunos 800 emblem, aka a Mazda Millenia.

I'd have a better pic of the "EUNOS" emblem, but by the time I was ready to install it, the pizza I called in showed up. So I went in and ate, then came back out to put on that finishing touch. And by then the sun was completely gone.

Again, I plan to get some pics tomorrow. If not tomorrow, Thursday when I go to check out my buddy's Z31 since he said he's got it back together and running after swapping cams for some regrinds and a new clutch. Very curious to hear how it sounds now.

Oh, and thanks to Adam, aka revlimiter, for his super helpful write up on installing the GV kit on his blog. It's a great replacement for instructions in English.
    Last edited by JamieH; 04-15-2014 at 10:00 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

atank (04-16-2014),Demon I Am (04-17-2014),tsingson (04-16-2014),WASABI (04-15-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    That looks great Jamie! Loving the lights, and the vintage emblems.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

JamieH (04-15-2014)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Nice!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

JamieH (04-16-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Those GV's look awesome JamieH !!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

JamieH (04-16-2014)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Can't wait to see this in person.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

JamieH (04-16-2014)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    So, it seems the 2 sided tape included with the kit just isn't thick enough to grab the quarter panels all the way around the tail light bucket curves. Because of this, the few spots it did grab have stretched out some and can clearly be seen between the gap. Sigh, but, not that big a deal. I do have some thicker 3M stuff that should be just right. Just have to pull the lights and GV panel back off. Will do that later tonight.

It's Wed., I'm going to Greenville to grab comics from Nostalgia Newsstand and enjoy the sunny weather. Even if it is a bit cold.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-16-2014),WASABI (04-16-2014)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Alright, got a few pics of the lights today. Still haven't pull them back out to change the double sided tape at the ends yet. It'll get done before this weekend at the least.

First I took a couple while at the comic shop today.

Then I got home and took a bunch more.

And a few from the front showing Betty's new nose emblem.

I know in some markets the "V" nose emblem isn't a big deal. But we didn't get it here in the States, so you don't see Eunos stuff over here. Call it a case of grass is greener on the other side, an exotic piece, or what have you, but the Eunos stuff was meant to be higher end/luxury style. And the Eunos emblems do have more detail and appear classier.

Oh yeah, and here are the pieces I was talking about that are installed from the inside of the trunk.

US Passenger/Right side:

US Driver/Left side:

I'm thinking about maybe painting them for a more finished look. We'll see.

Oh, and here's what's been in Betty's trunk for a while.

I normally have the US map of Ticket to Ride in the trunk. But since getting the Europe game I've been carrying it around hoping to get a chance to play it with friends. But yeah, great and fun game if you're interested in playing board games that aren't the usual like Monopoly. Same is true of Carcassonne. Such a simple game to learn, but some serious strategy comes into play once you've played a few games. Also, I've ordered something to replace the clunky 4 way lug wrench. Will take up much less room and weight less too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-17-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Be sure to use a flexible gasket sealant around those fiberglass plates that mount to the tail lamp openings so your trunk doesn't flood the next time it rains. I can't remember what I used on my car but it may have simply been plumber's putty.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

JamieH (04-17-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    I just noticed your fiberglass panels for the tail lamp openings are different than mine. On my set, they are a simple flat sheet with a hole cut in the center for the tail lamp to pass thru them. So I had to seal not only the body/tail lamp panel joint but also the tail lamp panel/ tail lamp joint.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

JamieH (04-17-2014)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Jamie, I play Carcassonne online with my cousin on the 360. Fun game. Still a novice but am getting better.

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Oh, no, the same flat sheet is still used for adapting the GV panel. It just now uses pen nuts. The pieces seen from inside the trunk are new to the GV kit. Well, new or something no one else has been installing with the GV kit. And all I did for sealing the panel was reuse the stock tail light gaskets as shown in Adam's install instructions on his blog.

I hope they're sufficient at keeping moisture out. Since I replaced the double sided tape that was included with the kit with some thicker 3M tape, the GV panel is really on there now. Getting it back off is going to take a thoughtful tactic. I'm thinking I can thread some fishing line through the tail light opening if I need to remove the panel. Maybe couple that with the use of an adhesive remover. If moisture finds it's way in through the tail lights I'll definitely be taking things back apart. It'll be a bit frustrating, but not that big a deal.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    hair dryer/low heat gun to soften things up first

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

JamieH (04-17-2014)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Jamie, I play Carcassonne online with my cousin on the 360. Fun game. Still a novice but am getting better.
    Nice. Maybe I can convince the group to play Carcassonne at a meet? And I've played it on the 360 too. Only downside to the 360 version is that it lacks the expansions. They introduce different things. Like penalties and bonuses for completion of roads/towns and new play mechanics. I still haven't gotten the chance to try some of the expansions I have for it.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    I am interested in the Ticket to Ride game though. I have to see how much it is for XBOX arcade.

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    I am interested in the Ticket to Ride game though. I have to see how much it is for XBOX arcade.
    I can bring Ticket to Ride if you'd like to try it (if there's time to play) before spending any money. Most games take about an hour once you have a grasp on the rules and no one drags ass taking their turn. All of my friends call it the train game. Yet, there's actually a fair share of board games with a train theme.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast