Thread: Nobuhiro Yamamoto (ND Global Mgr) letter to Mazda Clubs

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch jstammer's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Red Mazda Miata
    Thanks Given

Nobuhiro Yamamoto (ND Global Mgr) letter to Mazda Clubs

Received this yesterday from Mazda in an email sent out to Miata Clubs.

"Dear MX-5 Miata Enthusiast Clubs,

Let me start this note by introducing myself. My name is Nobuhiro Yamamoto, and I am the program manager for the upcoming fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 Miata. I have worked at Mazda for 40 years, primarily in the product development and R&D areas. While I have been lucky enough to have led the development of Rotary engine and sports car, being given the responsibility to bring Mazda's brand icon to reality is the most challenging -- and exciting -- job I could have asked for.

As my team put ideas in place for what the next-generation MX-5 Miata must be, we spent many hours and days and weeks looking back at the history of this car. The more we researched the car, the more we realized that MX-5 is more than just a car, it is a part of our owners' lives. I myself have owned an MX-5, so I know the passion it is easy to feel for this car. Because of that, I wanted to send this letter to every MX-5 owner, to thank you for your passion towards your car, your passion for the Mazda brand and your trust in Mazda in general.

This month we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Miata. It was on February 9, 1989, that we introduced the car to the world's press and enthusiasts, bringing fun back to the roads and the joy of car ownership back to enthusiasts everywhere. Since then, we have sold more than 920,000
    Miatas around the world. Mazda will be celebrating this milestone around the world with special events and recognitions.

I wish I could tell you all about the work my team has been doing to bring the Next MX-5 Miata to life, but it is too soon to do so at this time. You have my word, however, that the new car will embody everything you have always loved about Miata. It will be light, nimble, efficient and, most importantly, fun. I hope you will love it, as much as you love your cars now.

Please stay tuned to www.MazdaUSA.com for more information, we will have much more to share with you over the next few months.

Yours in Zoom-Zoom,

Nobuhiro Yamamoto
    4th Generation Mazda MX-5 Miata Global Program Manager"

What I get from this is that we should be hearing some facts regarding the car beginning soon and continuing over the next few months. We may not see the entire assembled car until three or four or more months, but we should know the HP figures, suspension, and more by then.
    President, Treasure Coast Miata Club
    www.TreasureCoastMiataClub.webs.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jstammer For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-16-2014),Phatmiata (02-28-2014),tsingson (02-28-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    MRnewsbot beat you this time

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....thusiast-Clubs

just teasing you, thank you for the heads up!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-16-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    yamamoto... LiEs!!!! I really hope when the say "fun" the mean more HP. even the msm I own should have come with mazdas version of FM's LE... but I am sure FM is glad the didn't haha. but I also hope he had a modded and bone stock Miata, you can't compare a stock Miata to one with simple PU or basic suspension upgrades.

I really need to stop coming into this section......

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Black 1992
    Thanks Given
    I was driving down I-95 heading towards a construction job site when a car carrier with the first (or maybe second) truck load of Miata's was headed for the dealers lot in Miami. The passion to own a Miata began that day. Currently own my third Miata (NC- 2011 Touring PRHT), having previously owned a stock NA (1996 purchased in 2000- a std. convertible), and in 2013 another NA, a HIGHLY modified for 'racing' where PO spent an obscene amount of money modifying the car before finding he had cancer and forced to sell. THANK YOU for your years with Mazda and working to produce the new ND version of the Miata.

Mazda needs the SkyActive Tech, 2000# running on regular gas and costing closer to $20k than $32k to sell the second million Miata cars; however, don't forget the performance end- where either a Turbo 1.8 engine set up for High Performance to satisfy the other end of Mazda's consumers who love the Miata. We can DREAM of a ROTARY engine with good gas mileage and oil consumption issues resolved quietly HUMMING down USA's highways in 2016- can't we? davzway

Quote Originally Posted by jstammer View Post
    Received this yesterday from Mazda in an email sent out to Miata Clubs.

"Dear MX-5 Miata Enthusiast Clubs,

Let me start this note by introducing myself. My name is Nobuhiro Yamamoto, and I am the program manager for the upcoming fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 Miata. I have worked at Mazda for 40 years, primarily in the product development and R&D areas. While I have been lucky enough to have led the development of Rotary engine and sports car, being given the responsibility to bring Mazda's brand icon to reality is the most challenging -- and exciting -- job I could have asked for.

As my team put ideas in place for what the next-generation MX-5 Miata must be, we spent many hours and days and weeks looking back at the history of this car. The more we researched the car, the more we realized that MX-5 is more than just a car, it is a part of our owners' lives. I myself have owned an MX-5, so I know the passion it is easy to feel for this car. Because of that, I wanted to send this letter to every MX-5 owner, to thank you for your passion towards your car, your passion for the Mazda brand and your trust in Mazda in general.

This month we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Miata. It was on February 9, 1989, that we introduced the car to the world's press and enthusiasts, bringing fun back to the roads and the joy of car ownership back to enthusiasts everywhere. Since then, we have sold more than 920,000
    Miatas around the world. Mazda will be celebrating this milestone around the world with special events and recognitions.

I wish I could tell you all about the work my team has been doing to bring the Next MX-5 Miata to life, but it is too soon to do so at this time. You have my word, however, that the new car will embody everything you have always loved about Miata. It will be light, nimble, efficient and, most importantly, fun. I hope you will love it, as much as you love your cars now.

Please stay tuned to www.MazdaUSA.com for more information, we will have much more to share with you over the next few months.

Yours in Zoom-Zoom,

Nobuhiro Yamamoto
    4th Generation Mazda MX-5 Miata Global Program Manager"

What I get from this is that we should be hearing some facts regarding the car beginning soon and continuing over the next few months. We may not see the entire assembled car until three or four or more months, but we should know the HP figures, suspension, and more by then.

Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    You guys REALLY need to be careful what you wish for in a Miata. Consider the great Japanese sports cars that came before the Miata. How many are still around? Why?

Toyota MR2. Brilliant, lightweight, simple, cheap sports car when it came out. But, it didn't stay that way. It went up-market with more features, luxury and power. Sure, there was more power. But, there was also a lot more weight, more complexity, and considerably more cost. Eventually, the MR2 priced itself out of its market and faded away.

Toyota Supra. Started out as a performance package on what was a pretty good lightweight, simple, cheap sporty car. Quickly exploded with features, technology, luxury and power. Sure, the last generation Supra was an awesome car. Truly, it was great. But, it was nothing like what it started out as. It was a big, heavy, "grand touring" car. And let's not even talk about the price of that car. It clearly priced itself out of its market, and it is gone.

Nissan Z-cars. Started out as Japan's answer to cars like the Triumph TR-6 and GT6. Great little lightweight, simple, cheap sports cars with sufficient power. The 240, 260 and early 280's all stayed pretty true to form... and then there was the 280ZX... and the 300ZX. Add power and luxury, go up-market. Another great car driven out of its market. Faded away for a few years, and came back as the 350Z... which was a mid-level sports car from the start. And really much more of a GT car, like the Supra. This one is still around, but it's nothing like the lightweight, simple sports car that a Miata lover wants... for our purposes, the Z car died in the late 70's.

Honda. The closest thing they had to a Miata-fighter was the CRX. FWD, yes... but a very lightweight, tiny, nimble little car. Great fun! What did Honda do? They killed the CRX and gave us the S2000. Now, the S2000 is a great car. Truly, an awesome sports car. But, priced nowhere near where the CRX was. It's up in that mid-level sports car market. Leaving the low-end sports car buyer out in the cold again. And there wasn't enough of a market for the S2000 at that price point, so guess what? It's gone. Nothing available from Honda.

I'm sure there are more examples, but I think that makes my point.

The SMARTEST thing Mazda can do is to stick with the formula that has always worked for the Miata. Keep is simple, keep it honest, keep it inexpensive. Driving the initial cost, as well as insurance rates up by trying to make it into a race-car from the factory is just the sort of thing that will kill the model in the long run. There can always be more powerful special editions, and there's always the aftermarket. But, for the Miata to continue to exist in the new car world, it has to have MASS APPEAL. That means that the average person has to be wowed not just by how awesome it handles and how good it feels, but also by its fuel economy, its simplicity, its reliability, and its PRICE.

Mazda could very easily give us a 2.5 liter 300hp engine in the upcoming Miata. It is within their power to do so. I sincerely hope that they don't. It would be the kiss of death for the Miata in the long run.

Remember, doubling the power also means doubling the beefiness of the entire drivetrain... go drive a BMW Z4 to see what that feels like. Give me the promised 2000-pound 150-hp nimble sports car, please.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MazRoadAdmin For This Useful Post:

94R (05-17-2014),etikoner (05-16-2014),tanakapz (05-16-2014),tsingson (05-16-2014)