Thread: The Spruce Moose Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given

The Spruce Moose Build

Why the name Spruce Moose? I love Mr. Burns and have been a long time Simpsons fan my entire life. There is a scene.

On top of that all of our cars are named something to the tune of moose. My daily is Moose Force 1, my dads nc is now called night moose, and spruce is a very light weight wood so why not the Spruce Moose.

Hey guys I have a lot to say, but I am getting my bearings here.
    I will have to backtrack to get a lot of info to be here.
    here is the most recent adventure.

Alright let me do a major update here.

The guy that sold me the suitcase also had an old samsonite suitcase that looked cool. I told him what I was doing with the suitcase that I bought form him and he just gave me the samsonite one. It is now the one I prefer to use. It has/had old stickers form all sorts of places.

Now updates for the car. I decided I really did not like the front lip. It was more trouble than it was worth so I am sticking with just the oem front bumper and no lip.

I purchased 2 oem radios with oem cd players and neither of them work. One of these days when i have more time and money I will send them to Jeff Anderson to get them fixed and have him install his aux in mod.

MATG Time

I took the car to get painted locally and told the guy I had a time frame of 3 weeks before miatas at the gap. Days before my day to leave for matg he tells me it wont be done. So I go with my dad to see what the deal is. We try to brainstorm and figure out what to do. One the verge of calling the trip of we decide to go to miatas at the gap in primer. So that is what we did. I figured I have gone with a lot of paint missing before why should this be any different.

We extended the matg trip a little and decided to go backpacking in the mountains for 4 days. We had to pack all of our clothes in that vintage suitcase on my luggage rack. We put the sleeping bags, food, ponchos, tent, hiking clothes, sleeping mattresses... A lot of crap in the trunk of the miata. I was able to figure out a way to bring the external frame backpacks with us. I bungeed them to the rollbar. Amazingly the roof was still able to go up and down.

This pic is right before we set of to go back packing.

Well on the matg trip in a miata run of about 40 people me of all people gets into an accident. Apparently a bear ran down the hill to our left, jumped over the guard rail and rain into the street to hit me. I acted quickly and made sure I was ok to swerve and dodged a head on collision. He managed to head butt my passenger fender spin re head butt my door and run off. (For those worried about the bear he seemed fine and ran off into the woods).

I was not the only person involved in an accident. There was one guy who just bought his miata and clear flew off one section of the mountain. He was ok but his car was totaled. Then on a spirited drive the second day the roads were damp and mini_fd spun. I was maybe 3 cars behind and thankfully a local passing by in his truck pulled him out.

So here is a picture that Bryan took and in the photo you can see where the bear hit me.
    It is very hard to tell that there was damage in this photo, but the damage was severe enough where I needed a new fender.

Well I did not let the whole bear thing bring me down so the next day i hung out with some cool people from the forum.

I am the one all the way to the left and my dad is next to me.

Believe it or not but the hiking trip had to be cut short. We strung up the backpacks with the anti bear stuff and everything should have been fine; well apparently the anti bear hook things are not anti chipmunk. One night the chipmunks climbed up and ate a hole through one of the back packs and ate quite a bit of our food. We took precautions for the next night but the same thing happened again. So we gave in and called the trip short.

On the way home the car hit 155,555 miles and also the speedo cable went on my so I had terrible high pitched screaming going on for the 16 hour drive back.

Once I got home I went and purchased a new fender from treasure coast miata and I stripped the car again to go in for paint.

And now I am here. I am waiting for a nice day to take a really good photo of my freshly painted miata.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-27-2014 at 05:41 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-27-2014),WASABI (03-27-2014)