Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whine noise under load and acceleration

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given

Whine noise under load and acceleration

It just doesn't end

Just last night I received a new noise to me. The whine or as some may call it a supercharger noise only happens underload. Whenever I press the gas pedal is when it begins. I can hear it louder behind the parcel shelf when I sat in the passenger side and had someone else drive. Here is a video

Under load acceleration:*

I recently just changed the fluid in the differential a week ago
    With new energy diff mounts. I have a turbo charged 5 speed 99 nb with a 04 msm rear diff and axles.

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    Any ideas?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Your diff is heading south. If you freewheel at a stop and as the car rolls a little forward then transitions to rolling backward, you may feel the driveline bind up a little.

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    Video 2:

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

Whine noise under load and acceleration

The last 10 seconds confirms that diff has some serious lash issues. It will go boom.

***edit... Where is the knocking and ringing coming from in those last 10 seconds? The diff or the driveshaft?***
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 04-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    We think it's the drive shift atm. The harmonic balancer looks like it's a bit loose. The rubber cross looking piece. Not sure of its the u joints or not. It's being towed so no more damage will occur beyond repair. First thing first the driveshaft will be replaced.

Bow it did look like at some point in life the heat shield above the shift where the u joints are sagged and interfered with the shaft. Not think it's the problem here as I bent the metal up out of its way.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    The U joint on a drive shaft is super easy to check. You have to remove the shaft, but it's only 4 bolts.

Remove it.
    Move the end all around. Is it notchy at all? Is there a click? If so, it's bad.

A good one will be perfectly smooth with no notch anywhere in the motion. And Miata drive shafts are not fixable. You have to either get a new one or get one built with serviceable U joints. Sharka has the later.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    The DS is usually the culprit to a diff heading south like yours shows symptoms of. A few clues are the stiff u joints, the dampener on the diff getting wonky, and the sound. A few key points...Miata driveshafts aren't balanced, plus worn u joints, this will send a LOT of vibration into the differential, stressing the pinion and its bearing. That whine is the pinion getting out of spec, creating lash. The pinion will then walk and take out a few teeth on the ring.

Replacing the DS is one thing, and swapping in another one is a good cheap test, but I would be prepared for the diff to grenade. While you have the DS out, it would be prudent to check that input on the diff for play. A bit of rotational play is normal (to a point). Check for lateral and longitudinal play as well.

I don't mean to play Debbie Downer, but this isn't my first rodeo.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 04-23-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    Okay well I might swap to a 3.9 diff then with a 6 speed. Plus it's easier to replace axles on a 3.9 rather then a msm. I'm just down because I liked using the beefier axles

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    It's the diff. A 3.9 and six speed is going in now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mini_fd For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (04-23-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iKhanh's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    don't mean to bring up a "dead" thread, but what did you end up doing with your old MSM diff? i just put mine in and am having to troubleshoot some noises of my own that isn't whining like yours.

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    We junked it. There were metal sparklies all in the oil. I couldve covered my body with all that glitter and walk the streets in key west.

Tell us what your experiencing.

Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    I finally got around to swapping it in from a guy who crashed his Miata into a barrier, but said the previous owner before that had the diff rebuilt/serviced. Can't tell for sure, by when I opened it up like a year ago, the teeth all looked good.

I had both axles rebuilt. New axle seals in the differential too. Put the whole bottle of Valvoline 75w-90 (forget if it's synthetic or not) gl-5 oil into it.

So, the noise! It sounds like a something isn't turning smoothly; I can hear friction, similar to brake pads on a spinning rotor. Noise is present any time the wheels are spinning, even in neutral. It does get louder the faster you go. Very obvious when driving on a bridge or something with high guard rails or walls that echo the noise as you drive by. Maybe the noise goes away after 40mph, or just the road and wind noise drowns it out.

I have adjusted the rear brake pistons so that the pads don't touch, but it's still making the noise. I haven't pushed it hard yet during my test drives.

When I have the time I will take some turns and try to rule out the wheel bearings, but I'm pretty sure it's not them cause before the swap they were fine. I will drain the oil when I have time and take a look at the magnetic drain plug. I have a feeling there won't be much to look at since I've only driven about 15mi, the gear teeth looked good, and everything seems to engage smoothly..

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    can you hear the noise specifically in a higher rpm?
    or can you sit in the passenger seat while some one else drives and put your ear over the parcel shelf?

rule out the fuel pump, i know its silly but if you have an amp that too.

Drives
    Red 1990 NA6
    Thanks Given
    I hear it as long as the wheels are rolling. My fuel pump never made any noise before. I also had the stock stereo off. I'll try to have someone drive it though. Hard to find someone I can trust with that responsibility though lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast