Thread: Help Identify problems 2001 NB

Idling - Listen to it purr... cabbageroll's Avatar
    Drives
    Midnight Blue Mica NB2 01
    Thanks Given

Help Identify problems 2001 NB

The first problem on my NB is when I first start the car after its been sitting over night.(can Also be few hours if its a cold day)
    Unless I let it idle until the temperture meter reaches middle. The car will choke under 2.5k RPM untill I run it for a few minutes untill the temperture reaches middle.
    Once I let it run for awhile it drives perfectly. The problem doesn't happen again unless I let the car cools for more than 3-4 hours.

The 2nd problem is when I take off first gear or brake very hard. I get a loud noise in the rear of the car. It sounds similar to my 240z v8 I had a few years ago when the rear bushing was bad. I wasn't able to confirm it cause I traded it before fixing it.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

Is the CEL functional? If yes, no codes?

Just a theory...your water temp sensor may be bad or something similar.

As for the rear noise, is it centered or coming from one of the side? A bad control arm bushing makes a popping sound. Does the car display and wiggle or shift when you hear the noise? Maybe the exhaust is hitting the rear subframe? Can you be more descriptive? Video?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

cabbageroll (06-03-2014)

Idling - Listen to it purr... cabbageroll's Avatar
    Drives
    Midnight Blue Mica NB2 01
    Thanks Given
    I live in California. The car did have a check engine light and the code was for misfire cylinder 2 but that was fixed and nothing has showed up for about 3,000 miles now. I replace coil, spark plug, spark plug wire, and finally cleaned the EGR valve which finally fixed the problem.

As for the rear noise, I would have to pinpoint the location first. The car does not wiggle or shake when it happens. It just feels like something is being hit against because of the sudden force that the car has to move. Kindof of hard to pinpoint when you're inside, I might have to record it.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Something else, it happened to a guy locally, check for a vacuum leak on the intake mani. Chances are slight, but if you had it apart, it may have loosed or developed a leak between the two halves. A good test is short shots of ether or wd-40 around the mani or vacuum lines. If the engine revs, you found the leak.