Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruckkehr's 二回目 Second Lap: Clean Build

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given

Cool Ruckkehr's 二回目 Second Lap: Clean Build

You can find my previous chronicles here: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....kkehr-(Return)

However, with the shelving of my first car, I decided to begin a new thread for a new car.
    So here it is!

(stealing photos from the previous owner)

And most importantly:

This is a 1989 production (1990 release) NA6CE with only 54k miles on it.
    This thing is so clean I am still not over it, and probably wont be.

It is also my first hardtop!

I can give a huge thanks to the local TampaBayMiata's group for bringing me together with this car, and the build that is to follow.
    I think it is safe to say Randy is as excited as I am.

Also, based on my last 20 hours of driving experience. IF you are thinking of deleting power steering and going with a manual rack.
    DO IT

I plan on updating these lists in this original post, on top of frequent updates to the thread.

Now for the ToDo list (already!):

* Delete sunvisors, already hitting my head on them (FIRST AND FOREMOST)
    * Give the thing a damn good washing. Then for the first time, I am going to wax my own car.
    * Move ryoku rob tow hooks over
    * Move Nardi from Ruckkehr over and get real hub (no more ebay hub)
    * Delete BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP on seatbelt/door
    * F̶i̶x̶ ̶b̶r̶o̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶y̶ (done, swapped from ruckkehr going to fix solders on old one)
    * New wheels / Tires (Ruckkehr's 13's would look kind of silly on this girl, and it is threadbare)
    * Rollbar transfer from Ruckkehr (This is happening a few days before my wedding when ArtcenterMiata/Jeremy is in town)
    * Swap Tein's over from Ruckkehr, raise their height a little bit so new car isn't as low as Ruckkehr was. I like being low, but I like being functional.
    * Related to the coilovers, roll the wheel wells for future wheel/tire/height choices
    * GarageStar hardtop brackets (snugtop latches suck, as I learned at 70mph on the highway)
    * Swap radiator and cooling panel from Ruckkehr
    * either find someone to gimme some r12 here in the tampa bay area or someone who wont F̶̷̲̅ᴜ̶̷̲̅ᴄ̶̷̲̅ᴋ̶̷̲̅ up a 134a conversion. I haven't had AC in a car in florida for 5 years, I WANT AC NOW.
    * Swap gauge cluster LED's over from ruckkehr
    * Revlimiter gauge faces (warbird or barcode?)
    * center console delete (without damaging anything, don't worry) with nakamae or garagestar style console cover
    * New aux/tuner only stereo
    * sharka-style headlight/hazard switches
    * new brakes/rotors/braided lines (might have to wait a bit, but I miss the feeling of my greenstuff's)
    * get some paintless dent removal done (not bad, just a few spots)
    * either restore the original finish plate or paint/build bracket for ruckkehr's euro-format finish plate.
    * a̶p̶p̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶s̶t̶e̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶m̶a̶z̶d̶a̶r̶o̶a̶d̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶c̶k̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ rear of hardtop window
    * ̶F̶r̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶g̶v̶ ̶l̶i̶p̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ R-pac lip, one day a real gv-lip
    * revlimiter side stripe
    * g-vent holes for triangle windows
    * Plastic to leather (already have one Jeremy made me) e-brake cover conversion
    * G̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶i̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶b̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶b̶r̶i̶n̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶s̶k̶u̶n̶k̶2̶ ̶y̶e̶t̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶.̶ moved my skunk2 over for now
    * Push-start conversion, move lighter/charger to glovebox
    * more I am sure (will update this list actively)

Edited: June 30th 2014

ToDo list more in the realm of fantasy (or expensive) and not entirely likely to happen for a long time:

* Cat delete and muffler
    * Coil on plug conversion (before boost)
    * MegaSquirt (before boost -- I prefer to prep the motor for something than install it and figure out what is needed after)
    * supercharge or turbo (haven't decided)
    * NACA duct and driver side intake
    * Find new seats, I feel like I sit too high in the car now and I have always wanted nice black ones or custom/lotus ones
    * Torsen diff if I can ever afford it

Finally, I have yet to give her a name.
    I will take suggestions, but can't promise I will use them (but would like some ideas so, come on yo)

One of my major goals for this car is to maintain its clean feeling. I WILL be modifying it, and I apologize if it upsets anyone that I am willing to modify such a clean low-mileage NA. I do promise to try and be smart about it, and I intend on being careful with how I go about it.

Let the games begin!
    Last edited by RuckkehrMiata; 06-30-2014 at 02:03 AM.
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

atank (06-04-2014),fwdtamiya (06-06-2014),k1l4m (01-24-2016),Lococholo84 (07-21-2015),Phatmiata (06-04-2014),tsingson (06-04-2014),ueru (06-06-2014),WASABI (06-04-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Man that looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives
    Grey NA Clubman
    Thanks Given
    Nice! That looks heaps better than repairing the black one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Malibu Q For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-04-2014)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Glad that you were able to get back into one! Good luck and I see a great list of mods and I look forward to seeing the progress.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Big Congratulations for getting her! I had a heavy heart when you posted about your accident, and that might be able to repair your car, because I know the passion you have for theses little cars. Have fun bonding with your new, beautiful (LOW MILEAGE) car.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    This is a great canvas to work from, all original, low miles, no cancer (rust), its like a brand new car. My buddy Jeff aka Ninja Jeff can convert your a/c in minutes, he has the a/c vacuum and the the 134a but I think he knows where to get the old stuff too. You met him at one of the last Miata meetings, the older Japanese/American guy. He is one of the best automotive and aircraft mechanics out here.

The door buzzer just unplugs, open your door and while its buzzing reach under the steering column and feel for with your hands, it actually vibrates so it's easy to find. Once you locate it just look under there and unplug it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (06-06-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I think I have an air intake kit for the 1.6L cars too, I need to check in my garage, also if you remove anything (air intake, exhaust, cat, interior parts) to replace with performance parts let me know as I am always interested in low mileage stock parts for my hoarding collection, LOL

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (06-06-2014),RuckkehrMiata (06-04-2014),tsingson (06-04-2014),WASABI (06-04-2014)

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    This is a great canvas to work from, all original, low miles, no cancer (rust), its like a brand new car. My buddy Jeff aka Ninja Jeff can convert your a/c in minutes, he has the a/c vacuum and the the 134a but I think he knows where to get the old stuff too. You met him at one of the last Miata meetings, the older Japanese/American guy. He is one of the best automotive and aircraft mechanics out here.

The door buzzer just unplugs, open your door and while its buzzing reach under the steering column and feel for with your hands, it actually vibrates so it's easy to find. Once you locate it just look under there and unplug it.
    Tell him to come to the meet tonight or give me his contact, I need ac STAT (summer driving is starting to make me nautious these days)

Also thats how I found my signal relay! (thing vibrates quite a lot)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Congrats on the new car! It looks great!How about Zweite Fahrt (second ride)? I love the verb fahren. Habe eine gute Fahrt! lol

Were you/are you able to keep your old car? It sounds like a yes. I wish I had a parts store available to me. If it were me, I'd strip everything you think you might need in the future and set those parts aside. I'm thinking electronic items like the ECU, SRS module, clock spring, gauge cluster, or any other item that you might need in the future. Take the rest, part it out, scrap the body and have some spending cash you can use towards the car - or to the future misses. I'd keep subframes too and the control arms... I'm greedy like that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-04-2014)

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by riefdaddy View Post
    Congrats on the new car! It looks great!How about Zweite Fahrt (second ride)? I love the verb fahren. Habe eine gute Fahrt! lol

Were you/are you able to keep your old car? It sounds like a yes. I wish I had a parts store available to me. If it were me, I'd strip everything you think you might need in the future and set those parts aside. I'm thinking electronic items like the ECU, SRS module, clock spring, gauge cluster, or any other item that you might need in the future. Take the rest, part it out, scrap the body and have some spending cash you can use towards the car - or to the future misses. I'd keep subframes too and the control arms... I'm greedy like that.
    Right now Ruckkehr is just sitting in the driveway partially torn apart.
    I am thinking of keeping a few select things but I was planning on parting quite a bit to help pay some of the personal loan I used to acquire this new beast.

I would much rather have a parts mule available, but at the same time I am not rolling in money like I wish I was.

I will probably hold on to some annoying-to-get things (although ruckkehr was already missing most of those hah!). I am not entirely ready to part her, too much attachment hah!

Speaking of Zweite Fahrt, one of my ideas was Tameshite Ni (try 2) or Ni O toru (Take 2)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Is the insurance gonna give you any money for the wrecked Miata? I dont think you will get very much outta selling it. I would keep it for parts, or sell some stuff off it to get your money back

Also for the NEW one, get GOOD insurance, Full coverage and GET Uninsured Motorist coverage ASAP!!! There are a lot of hit and runs, and folks driving with no license, and no insurance. My wife handles cases all the time and she says most folks never get UM Coverage until after their car is totaled and they have to come out of pocket, and get next to nothing for their cars.

Talk to Bill (MiataBikerGuy) at the local meet about his 1991 Red NA with 45K miles, he just bought it, and 2 months later someone else hit his miata at totaled it. But he was smart and had full coverage and got a LOT more from the insurance than what he paid for it due to the ultra low miles.

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Is the insurance gonna give you any money for the wrecked Miata? Also for the NEW one, get GOOD insurance, Full coverage and GET Uninsured Motorist coverage ASAP!!! There are a lot of hit and runs, and folks driving with no license, and no insurance. My wife handles cases all the time and she says most folks never get UM Coverage until after their car is totaled and they have to come out of pocket, and get next to nothing for their cars.

Talk to Bill (MiataBikerGuy) at the local meet about his 1991 Red NA with 45K miles, he just bought it, and 2 months later someone else hit his miata at totaled it. But he was smart and had full coverage and got a LOT more from the insurance than what he paid for it due to the ultra low miles.
    As it turns out, I had UM but not collision. Sooooo I am getting nothing except what I can for the parting. They aren't even "totaling" it, they just don't care.
    However I found out the lady fired shots at my insurance for bodily injury so my next few months might become a bit miserable.

This one is getting nearly full coverage once the wedding is over this month when Kristina joins me on my insurance.

Also, randy, uhhhh can I go through your warehouse sometime? :3
    I need ideas

Drives
    Thanks Given
    who is your insurance carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by RuckkehrMiata View Post
    Also, randy, uhhhh can I go through your warehouse sometime? :3
    I need ideas

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    who is your insurance carrier?

It is State Farm, I had been on them since I started driving at 17. But typical to insurance, they don't seem to care that this is my first wreck ever (I even had a ridiculously low payment)

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Some small updates:

I have officially named the car!!!

It is now 二回目 Nikaime (ニカイメ) or Second Try.
    I kind of agonized over this, and ended up going through about 20 different iterations of the phrase with a friend of mine who is going to be spending some time in Japan teaching english and spent several years studying for it. We even toyed around with using counter suffix's to try and bring in the idea of a machine or car but I ended up not liking it.

I finally settled on 二回目 because of the implication of a "second lap/round/try". And this is going to be going on a sunvisor banner that is being made by a friend of mine
    It may seem a little stupid to give it a japanese name, but it was a german one last time and I am the one who has to say it all the time so whatever I guess haha.

I deleted the sun visors, and replaced them with the blanking plates from Ruckkehr. I also installed my RetroModern knurled dash light potentiometer (I still love that thing despite how small and unnoticeable it is), killed the door buzzer, and replaced the signal relay block.
    Just some minor things to finish out the work week. I also found that the previous owner left me with a really decent head unit that I would totally keep if it had an aux jack.

Next week I am taking Thursday and Friday and spending them working on the car with my best friend Jeremy ( artcentermiata ) where we will be installing the Rollbar (and doing it well, including adding finishing to the edges of the carpet) and the mishimoto radiator. I wanted to do the Teins, but I may be sending them into tein for a refresher before installing them (and getting extended tophats).

I may be doing project-g vent windows as well, but may also be pushing those off until after the wedding next weekend.

OH! And I have a Pole Position key blank coming from Japan that I won. With broker fees and shipping it will come in at about half the price as buying from a state-side person who has a few.

This new car has really brought the spirit of community and miatas' back into me, and I can't wait to be wrenching!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

atank (06-06-2014),Phatmiata (06-06-2014),WASABI (06-06-2014)

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast