Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip Driver's build

Thanks Given

Grip Driver's build

I have always been a VW guy, always. Don't get me wrong, I have owned other cars along the way but have always found my way back to VW's with one exception, Miata's. I never really had a strong interest in Japanese cars even though I owned a few over the years and was stationed in Japan for a year in the Marines. What got me hooked was my friend Tim's 99 NB. He let me take his for couple of runs at a local auto-x in the summer of 2003 and that was it, I was hooked. I bought my first Miata, a black 01 NB the following year. I sold that one a few years later and moved on to a 95 NA. I really enjoyed that car buy wanted something with more power so I ditched the NA for a Mazdaspeed NB and promptly added all the standard bolt ons. The car was definitely quick but was missing the simplicity of the NA. My wife and I were expecting our first child in the fall of 09 so I sold off the Mazdaspeed to save us some money. I really missed having a Miata in the garage so I went on the hunt again for the cleanest example of an NA I could find. Right after my son's second birthday, I ran across a super clean 90 Mariner in Wisconsin. I took a ride up there that weekend and a deal was struck. I picked up the car the following weekend. The car came with full documentation since new, all receipts, everything. I am really looking forward to making it my own. I have been collecting parts since I purchased it.

the 01

the 95

the Mazdaspeed

the 90

Thanks Given
    These are unfortunately the only pictures I have so far but I will add more when changes begin come spring time. The car does have an original Sebring supercharger on it so I am satisfied with the current power output. The suspension is terrible though so that will be on of the first thing to be changed in the next couple of months.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ChrisJuliano's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Awesome beautiful car cant wait to see the build continue!

Thanks Given
    Here's the list of parts acquired so far:

RS meter panel
    Revlimiter 1028 gauges
    RS classic switch
    RS factory stage knob and brake handle
    Momo Protipo wheel / Dakei hub
    Club NA Eunos horn button
    !njoy door pulls
    Zoom door pockets
    Jet stream headlight lid
    JDM side markers
    Rspeed r package front spoiler
    Brainstorm fuel lid
    Eunos Roadster exterior badging
    949 chassis braces
    Garage star cooling plate
    Garage star plate relocator
    Rennmetal front tow hook

There are probably things I'm forgetting but I'll take pictures along the way. All I need now is time to get things done.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! titch's Avatar
    Drives
    '97 BRG.
    Thanks Given
    Damn that's clean! Looking forward to where this is going...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! sss1987's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    This makes me want a mariner!!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Nice set of cars you've had. That's pretty much the spectrum of, colors, body styles, and performance. Your Mariner looks super clean; leather seat too! I will subscribe to this, waiting for updates.

-Jim

Thanks Given
    Here are some long overdue updates. I actually had some free time this weekend to get some work done so here goes.

First and for most was to replace the factory steering wheel with something that had a retro look and feel to it. I chose a Momo Prototipo wheel, Eunos horn button on a Dakei hub. I added a 20mm LTM motorsport spacer to bring the wheel a bit closer to me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grip Driver For This Useful Post:

GoverningNick (07-08-2015)

Thanks Given
    Next up was to replace the factory radio with something a bit better sounding that had an aux in input. I chose a JVC KD-SH 55. I like that the faceplate has a brushed metal look to it, goes with the theme I am after. I used a DDM works radio surround with two gauge holes. I used a VDO 15psi boost gauge and a voltmeter. The car is mostly street driven and I really didn't need oil temp/pressure. I also replaced both upper and lower shifter boots, installed a Beatrush shifter bushing from Rev9 and added some turret oil since there was none.

Thanks Given
    The factory door pulls were next to go. They were replaced with !njoy pulls and Zoom door pockets. The added interior room and storage and both welcome additions. The retro look is nice as well.

The factory fuel door was replaced with a BSP classic lid. It is identical to the Zoom fuel lid from what I can tell.

Thanks Given
    I have always really liked the Zoom side markers but just couldn't justify the cost. They look very similar to what some Italian cars used back in the 60's and 70's so I did some research on what I could use. I finally settled on a pair of Fiat 500 side markers. The bonus is they can be had for less than $20 for reproduction units. I think they do the trick.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Grip Driver For This Useful Post:

Fishbulb (03-16-2016)

Thanks Given
    Last but not least came the hardest job. I purchased a set of 1028 gauges from Adam / Revlimiter at least six months ago. They have been collecting dust till today. This for me was the most nerve racking job I have done but Adam's excellent instructions really go a long way in making the job look easy. I highly recommend his gauges. I also installed a KGW meter panel that was purchased some time ago from Medition. The result IMO speaks for itself.

Unfortunately, the gauge hood broke upon disassembly so that will have to be replaced. More updates coming soon, stay tuned.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    It seems that Rev limiter gauges are just meant for the KG works panel. Looks good
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Thanks Given
    This just showed up, will be installed very soon.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Great build so far! I will definitely be watching this thread in the future. I have always wanted to do my gauge cluster but I'm just afraid of screwing something up.

Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast