Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ruckkehr's 二回目 Second Lap: Clean Build

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Looks like you are getting everything sorted!!!!!!!!!!

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Minor update:

So something else just came in the mail.
    Ever since I saw Adam's (revlimiter) post about Clover keys, I knew I had to have one. The form factor and shape just appeal to me in a way no OEM keyblank could.
    So I waited and watched, and one day I found one on yahoo JP for about $10

Now it is sitting at home, my wife got it in the mail today

I have already sourced a ALOA-approved pro to cut it (they actually insure their cuts, so if they mess it up new clover key at market price I guess). I can't wait to be using this thing.
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    二回目 is going through puberty, and making bad clothing decisions!

I was faced with the very real fact that the tires that came with her were old, abused, and worn. I could feel them not doing well when I drove, especially being the rainy season here in FL.

I can't afford new wheels and tires right now, and all I had were the wheels I had just re-tired before I recked ruckkehr.
    So I decided to swap them for now.

Ruckkehr looks a tad silly:

10497504_10204018699404710_28571432418675884_o.jpg

I have already been told they look kinda bad, but I mean they ARE only $200 steelies (thats for the whole set) so it isn't like I am trying too hard.
    They only need to last until October's 6UL run...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (07-14-2014),ueru (07-16-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    looks beefy !!!!

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    So beginning of last week my care package from the west coast came in.
    In it was some new racing lug nuts, works bell hub and project-g airbag delete, and a rare mazdaspeed brake handle.

I decided to do the bell hub today:

I set up and prepared. I didn't get many shots of the installation as I was working pretty swiftly and forgot to grab my phone for shots.

It was surprisingly easy, with only a few minor hiccups. I had to splice the horn wire because the adapter that came with the hub did not match. I took the plug from the old steering wheel instead. (that orange thing)

I have missed this thing so much since it was in Ruckkehr.

This new guy is starting to really feel like my car!

Next will be the mazdaspeed brake handle and joyfast ebrake button. But I have to wait on Rod's groupbuy for that ;)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (07-27-2014),WASABI (09-06-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Wow that is a classy Nardi Steering wheel !! Looks great. Is that a Club-NA horn button? Nice touch !!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

WASABI (09-06-2014)

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Wow that is a classy Nardi Steering wheel !! Looks great. Is that a Club-NA horn button? Nice touch !!
    The horn button IS a club-na
    It was a gift from awhile back. It fit perfectly in the works bell hub (you need a blade to get it back out it is so snug) without the adapter some need!

The Nardi is a drop spoke from an older late 60s alfa romeo, 365mm I believe. It is one of my favorite parts, I was able to buy it from a close friend for super cheap. I can hardly touch a normal steering wheel after driving with it!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (07-27-2014),WASABI (09-06-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Are you coming out to the meet next week?? I wanna see it installed in person.

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Are you coming out to the meet next week?? I wanna see it installed in person.
    Maybe. Ahhhhhh, some very intense stuff might be starting for me very soon which will take me far away from FL. So I should try to make it out to the next few weeks meets, they might be my last for a long time.

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given

Mishimoto has landed

So a long time ago, I bought a mishimoto radiator kit from Project-g. It sat around taking up space for over a year, and then I put it in my ole ruckkehr shortly before she passed.

I finally got around to putting it in 二回目.

It was a huge pain, I wasn't used too all of these stock bolts and plastic covers and stuff. It took 2 days to swap a damn radiator.
    And the, I Couldn't get the mishimoto to fit in! After getting somewhat of a blessing from a few friends who had done similar, I just decided to bend the shit out of the lower supports to get the huge mishimoto to fit down in. I don't have any pictures of this process because I was too dirty to touch my phone and my wife was trying to keep me from throwing the delicate aluminum flower across the street.

However, mostly finished pics!

I ran her for awhile, checked for leaks, took a drive and made sure there were no hotspots while under load (ie WOT)
    I am not 100% on the wiring but I was finishing it up under flashlight, and the connections are solid for now. I plan on double checking the crimps and wrapping them in non-adhesive electrical wire (doesn't leave goo, only sticks to itself) before considering it a "wrap job".

Also this is nearing the end of updates for awhile, as I accepted a job in San Francisco, CA and will be leaving the tampa bay (home of MR itself!!!) to pursue a career goal of mine.
    This means there will be a lot more money for the car, but it has to be parked in a garage for a few months to get there.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    what wires are you crimping to install a radiator? Why did it not fit, is it a larger than normal size?

Also, good luck on your new job / adventure in Miata paradise!! we will miss you here locally on the "east-side"

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    what wires are you crimping to install a radiator? Why did it not fit, is it a larger than normal size?

Also, good luck on your new job / adventure in Miata paradise!! we will miss you here locally on the "east-side"

The mishimotos come with Bullet-style connectors, so I bulleted up the wiring harness to match. I wanted the radiator to be properly quick disconnect for any future removals.
    It IS the radiator for this model, but yes the fitting was almost impossible. I had to give up on it for a day to cool off and then ended up just bending the little C hooks that the rubber gromets sit on way the hell out to make it go down in (it wouldn't just slide back out either, I would have to figure something out if I wanted to remove it).

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch furrycurry33's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1991
    Thanks Given

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to furrycurry33 For This Useful Post:

artcentermiata (10-12-2014),WASABI (09-06-2014)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    White 2001 Lexus IS300
    Thanks Given
    Haha harbor freight all day

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    I have been quiet for a long time. This is because a few months shy of a year ago I moved 3000 miles away from Phatmiata's lap to the cradle of tech civilization. My new home is the San Francisco Bay Area, where I am making enough money to finally do what I really want to (evidenced by what I have already done before typing this book out). Unfortunately, my car could not come with me right away. I left mazdaroadster ( I didn't want to, but not having my car and being on a miata forum kinda really sucked. I really care about you guys, but not having Nikaime was painful haha ) and stuck to some Facebook groups in the area. I really have had a blast taking public transit everywhere (), but it was finally time to drop the dough to get her shipped out.

Tonight, she was unloaded from the truck with my tool bags and teins in the trunk (being installed someday, I can't work on her in my complex's parking lot). I raced to the gas station, dumped in a full tank of premium and put another 3 or 4 miles on her right away. Even my wife was practically pissing herself.

I was finally inside of her again...

I am sure some of you can understand the calm and content joy I felt right then. Then came denial, everything about her felt wrong. The clutch was off, the shifting too buttery, the steering wrong. But after a few miles during my reunion circuit I fell back into old habits. The downshifts were coming naturally, I completely forgot she was non-power steering, I didn't even mind that she was entirely coated with dust from the open-carrier trip.

Now, she does have some problems that need addressed. I moved right after installing my front lip, so one bolt is missing and one corner drags on the drivers side tire. Her oil is ancient and probably really bad, oil pressure hovering below 25 at idle. She misses slightly at low rpms under load/acceleration. All things that a little TLC and time this weekend will resolve.

Now, for what you really want to see. I had been stockpiling parts in my closet since I moved (never stopped buying!). I knew I couldn't let her sit her first night in CA without SOMETHING new on her... sooooo.....

I picked these autoblaze mirrors up from a clubroadster dude named Bo Gaut, who is seriously my favorite parts supplier.

I also have a Zoom fuel lid going on this weekend!

Nikaime lives again, and this thread will begin frequent updates once more. My love goes out to all you guys, Phat for the forums and welcoming me so warmly to the tampa crowd while I was there. This is the next chapter tho.

Wow guys, it's been 5 years. 3 years here on MR alone.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast