Thread: fwdtamiya Tries to Ruin Another NA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Wow, I haven't updated this in more than a year. I don't think I ever posted about this, but I'm more comfortable sharing it with people who aren't in my immediate circle now. So, actually, two days after I installed my Zoom wing this happened:

Low speed, no injuries at all, the hard dog hard bar held up perfectly.

So then I picked up this car for $900 and swapped over the few interior/exterior/suspension/engine parts it needed from my old car. It came with a 6 point harness, so I used this time to also install the custom powdercoated harddog double diagonal I had sitting around.

Y'all know I stay hitting apexes and stuff so I took the new chassis to Laguna Seca. OMG did you notice the passenger fender and door are clean? The new chassis has such clean body panels! Finally!

I bought this brake stopper from the GarageStar booth at Laguna. You probably didn't notice but the top hats are Teins now. I sold the Koni yellow/Tein S-Tech setup and bought some Flex's, then replaced the original 7kg front springs with Swift 9kg units.

One week after Laguna this happens

So once again I'm looking for an original BRG passenger door/fender. I ended up taking off the fender because it was cutting the tire.

Swapped out my steering wheel (until someone buys this...it's for sale)

Found an almost reasonably priced KG Works wavy mirror in Japan, so I smashed that BIN button.

My water pump gave out a long time ago, so I figured it was time to tackle all the stuff I've been putting off. New crank seal, cam seals, timing belt, accessory belts, CAS oring, VC gasket and motor mounts went in a couple days ago at 119k miles on the car. My old aluminum Koyo also sprang a leak, so I replaced that at the same time with a new Koyo! Ballin!

My motor (and shifter) actually used to sit crooked in my 2nd BRG chassis, because the mount has separated and repositioned itself (I picked the car up like that)

A Mazdaspeed mount went on the driver side and a AWR mount went on the passenger side. It's soo good, there really isn't much increase in vibration IMHO.

I don't know why my new alternator belt has teeth? But it works I guess. The old one was very cracked.

After restarting the car I got CEL #9, water thermistor. So I replace that POS and check grounds while I'm in there, then I see this little red thing dangling for dear life in the back. So, I didn't even need to replace the thermistor more than likely. Whatever. New everything.

Oh, and that blockage in my exhaust was part of the exhaust, cut and angled weird. To me it looked like some weird modification to force almost all exhaust flow directly into the packing material, which is not how a freaking exhaust works. So, it couldn't be remedied through strength, I tried many different methods with the help of friends. I got the old resonator cut out and a new one welded it. Instant 10hp gain, it was great.
    Last edited by fwdtamiya; 07-13-2017 at 01:03 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

Dandy (03-25-2017),etikoner (04-25-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (03-24-2017),HarryB (03-24-2017),Ihatecars (03-24-2017),JamieH (03-24-2017),kung fu jesus (03-24-2017),MiataQuest (03-25-2017),MikeA (03-24-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-24-2017),oldgrayleather (03-24-2017),Phatmiata (04-25-2017),ueru (03-25-2017)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdtamiya View Post
    My old aluminum Koyo also sprang a leak, so I replaced that at the same time with a new Koyo! Ballin!
    I recently ended up doing the same thing. I know cross flows are all the rage but it was so much easier to just stick with what I had. For a naturally aspirated street car/ occasional track car the Koyo is still good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (04-25-2017)