Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of the MX-5 Miata, is there another 20 years left?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Jeremiah's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White Pearl 2014
    Thanks Given

Question The future of the MX-5 Miata, is there another 20 years left?

So were currently on the 3rd generation MX-5 Miata with the new ND on the horizon. A 4th generation is imminent no doubt.
    Now, what I am thinking about is how long will Mazda keep producing the Miata, its a hot seller for sure considering all the positives and price point.
    But how much longer? The S2000 was short lived but I think thats due in part to the price point, whereas the Miata satisfied everyone young and old because they are affordable. The MR2 Spyder had promise but it just wasn't loved enough.

How much longer do you think the Miata will be around? Will we see an NE, NF, etc.?
    2014 PRHT Crystal White Pearl Club model (6MT)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremiah For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-23-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Sean5294's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 2002 Miata LS
    Thanks Given
    It should be a while as long as they build what people want. I have only had mine for a week or so an it is by for the funnest car I have driven.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Currently the biggest competitor for the Miata is from the USED Miata car sales

as long as the keep the price affordable I can see the Miata being around for a long time

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power horribleR's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Blue Hype
    Thanks Given
    I think they would benefit from a lower starting price point. as it stands it's fairly high even for a "base model".

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Truth! That and those of us who pour money into our current cars rather than getting new ones.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pfunk For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-24-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! pnoy1duh's Avatar
    Drives
    HSM 00
    Thanks Given
    There's nothing else that fills the niche the Miata fits in. Part of the Miata's success is it's generally non aggressive design, "fun" brand cache, reliability, and cult like following. Other automotive companies have tried, but can't match the relatively low cost of entry and the Miata's pedigree. The only things that could unseat the Miata is price creep, Mazda's modest advertising budget, and keeping the Miata fresh.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Luckily, there are those who always want the latest and greatest. As long as Mazda doesn't mess with the formula, I don't see the Miata going away anytime soon. It is an iconic car at this point. It has been around for so long that kids who are now in their 20's don't know of a time that there weren't Miatas.

Will it last forever, no. Sadly, with automated cars on the horizon and the move towards "safer" cars, in time fun cars will go away. At that point I will be living the Rush song, "Red Barchetta".

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by riefdaddy View Post
    I will be living the Rush song, "Red Barchetta".
    Always liked that storyline, myself!

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    a barebones performance/tuner spec would be cool. Kind of like the spec c sti.
    cloth seats, soft top, base model wheels, minimalist/no av, lsd, 6 spd, maybe ac as an option.

That's of course if they want this demogrpahic to continue buy it.
    My observation is that the nc is kind of a midlife-crisis car. Mostly driven by old and grey types (no offense – I'd love one). By that thinking moving into s2000 territory could eventually happen.
    I think the current NC strikes a happy medium between those two ends of the spectrum.

Too bad the nc3 isn't offered with a soft top option in Canada...

Drives
    LFX ND
    Thanks Given

as long as the keep the price affordable I can see the Miata being around for a long time
    I'm doing everything I can to deplete the used miata market. Now if I could just get hold of a low mileage LE to cut up...

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given

Porsche has since the late 70's considered their used cars as their "entry level" models.

Sadly, I disagree with your assesment. Sales have been dropping since 2007, at an accelerated pace, while the cars have gone "upmarket" and so have their prices.

Heck, car sales in general have been dropping. The younger generations are just not buying cars with the same fervor as before. Internet, video games and I-phones is where the money is at.

I don't see the Miata surviving another 10 years, the sales are just not there. I hope I'm wrong.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Race car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Heck, car sales in general have been dropping. The younger generations are just not buying cars with the same fervor as before. Internet, video games and I-phones is where the money is at.
    You're blaming the symptom not the problem.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DK AFFECT View Post
    You're blaming the symptom not the problem.
    I'm not blaming anything, just stating the facts. Most of my friends who have children of driving age, those children are at best apathetic about cars. That trend carries over, I'm not the one saying it, car companies are.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/17/news...g-buying-cars/

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3027876/m...figure-out-why
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Driver, I think what DK is saying is that many young people are priced out of the new car market by the purchase price, maintenance, fuel, and insurance costs. Saddled with student loans, poor employment opportunities, et al. They may want a new car, but it isn't practical or feasible. So they instead look at cheaper alternatives such as living within a city that allows them to walk and ride public transportation. I'm not making this a political post, but with all the off shoring of jobs companies are cutting their own throats by not having people who can buy their products. Henry Ford paid a high wage and said the smartest thing ever - claiming that someone had to be able to buy his product. That to me is the biggest issue with new car sales - they are too expensive (newer used cars too).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

DK AFFECT (06-24-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by riefdaddy View Post
    Driver, I think what DK is saying is that many young people are priced out of the new car market by the purchase price, maintenance, fuel, and insurance costs. Saddled with student loans, poor employment opportunities, et al. They may want a new car, but it isn't practical or feasible. So they instead look at cheaper alternatives such as living within a city that allows them to walk and ride public transportation. I'm not making this a political post, but with all the off shoring of jobs companies are cutting their own throats by not having people who can buy their products. Henry Ford paid a high wage and said the smartest thing ever - claiming that someone had to be able to buy his product. That to me is the biggest issue with new car sales - they are too expensive (newer used cars too).
    Oh don't be afraid to make it political. Here @ MR.Net, we don't shut down opinions. I was just establishing that I wasn't directly blaming anything, or anyone. DK is a big boy, he knows how to take care of himself!
    And yes, I agree to too often companies end up shooting themselves in the foot, by not paying adequate wages. But that is not something that will change anytime soon, if ever.
    Last edited by The Driver; 06-24-2014 at 11:54 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

DK AFFECT (06-24-2014),riefdaddy (06-24-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast