Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage modifications - NA vs NB

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Just get the Miata you want and enjoy it, they are wonderful cars, tons of fun to drive right outta the box. The mods will come, as times goes on, a little here, a little there. Great builds do not happen overnight. It took me 10 years to get my last Miata the way I wanted it, and I swapped out tons of parts on it, some looked great in my head, but once installed they did not flow with the build, so I would sell them off and try something else. I am rather fickle about parts though.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Coanbread751 View Post
    First off, thanks for all of your responses. It is very refreshing to be a noob posting in a enthusiast's forum and not getting blasted for your plans/opinion of style. I appreciate all of your insight and concerns with the modding prices. You have all given me a lot to think about but I feel say more confident in buying a 94 now knowing that it is not really a step down from the 2000.

I'm going to look at this M edition tonight. What are your thoughts. I'm going to offer $3500 if it checks out.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4481781605.html
    If you want my absolute honest input I would say pass. That price seems ok for a car given that age and mileage, but it should not have any bodywork needed like that. Keep searching around. Me personally I don't mind doing any and everything mechanical related, but bodywork is an entire other ball park.

I would look for one that doesnt need so much body work.

What is your zip code or the zip code of the next town over (If you dont feel comfortable divulging your zip code to us) and I will do some investigative searching to find a miata out that way. How far would you be willing to travel for the right car? What is the right price to you? Any particular reason you favor the 1.8 over the 1.6? If retro is what you are after the 1.6 has a simpler interior.

Happen to have a color or combo preference, such as power steering, power windows, abs, tan interior....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-25-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    ^^ Andy makes a few good points. You should buy the best car you can afford. Body work is not something you want to deal with, if possible. Better to use those funds to make the car what you want it to be.

Here is one in excellent condition, and would be great to enjoy while you save up for modifications.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4506145264.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-25-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    I'm not sure I'd believe them on all the fluids being replaced. The brake master cylinder and clutch reservoir in the pictures have old fluid. I have a 94 and wouldn't regret getting another. The only issues I have with the 94 is it is unique with regards to the SRS system. Other than that, I really like it.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Well...that car was a total piece of junk. The owner flat out lied about the condition of the car. I have doubts if it was even a real M edition. Anyway.....thanks to everyone who offered their opinion. Wasabi, that is a pretty car. I will definitely look into that.

Here is the 2000 model that I was looking at http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4500802245.html It's priced right, and looks to be in fantastic condition. It is an automatic however (not a deal breaker for me)...but there is just something about that body style that doesn't do it for me. But I keep finding myself pulling up that listing and looking at the photos...it's a pretty car.

Someone asked for my preferences. Dark green or black with tan leather interior and tan soft top is my ideal look. The problem with cars that are very far from me (Frankfort, KY) is that my current car is a real POS and driving it back and forth to Ohio and Southern KY looking at cars repeatedly just isn't going to happen.

Thanks!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Golden Stallion's Avatar
    Drives
    2008 RX-8
    Thanks Given
    NA>NB vintage wise. You can do soon many things to a NA while, sadly, NBs don't always get the vintage aftermarket. Either way, they are basically the same car except they get a little more electronics and more safety over the years. NBs can look vintage and look real good when pulled off right but if you want vintage out the box and just add your touch, NA is the way to go. Welcome to MR and enjoy the miata

Drives
    Thanks Given
    plenty of Vintage options for NB (if you live in Japan)

I would stay away from an automatic Miata, thats like buying a state of the art TREK Moutain bike and putting training wheels on it.

Shifting through the gears on the miata with those short throws of the gear box and hearing the exhaust note is like music to my ears.

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Phatmiata...I hear you about the automatic, but refer to my original post... I'm shameless. I'm in it for the style, simple as that.

What do you guys think about this 94? I have already talked the guy down to $3000 even. I love the looks. I'm just nervous about a trip to Ohio for nothing.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/4505047246.html

Again....I just wanted to say thanks. You guys have been more than helpful and have made me crave a Miata even more!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power imperfekt's Avatar
    Drives
    Supercharged 94 PC
    Thanks Given
    go for it and gives/sell me the luggage rackkkkkkkkkkk!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Coanbread751 View Post
    Phatmiata...I hear you about the automatic, but refer to my original post... I'm shameless. I'm in it for the style, simple as that.

What do you guys think about this 94? I have already talked the guy down to $3000 even. I love the looks. I'm just nervous about a trip to Ohio for nothing.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/4505047246.html

Again....I just wanted to say thanks. You guys have been more than helpful and have made me crave a Miata even more!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I think you will regret having an automatic later on. They are much slower than a standard Miata.

My first stick shift was the Miata. I could never go back to an automatic again. Even if you have never driven a stick shift before, the Miata has to be the easiest gearbox to learn.

Just say no to auto !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Slampen (06-26-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Rogue's Avatar
    Drives
    93LE #737, 93LE #783, 92BnT, 95M, 90A and now a 97PEP
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Just say no to auto !
    1992 BnT, 93LE #737, 94M, 95M, 96M, 97PEP, and a few 90s

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:

Slampen (06-26-2014)

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Some more photos that he sent me.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    That automatic also has abs. If it were me I would avoid any automatic. They really are that bad. I drove a 94 and it was redibly slow with the automatic. This is coming from the person who has a smaller 1.6 motor with less power and much less torque.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-26-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12