Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjustable Cam Gear Reviews

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    I know thebluepotato had an issue with his purple aluminum HKS gears. Something about the face wearing where the bolts clamped down. Search the forums and you'll see some chatter about peoples concerns with them a few years ago. I'm not even sure HKS make these anymore given what happened to them and given how old the Miata is. You'll be looking for NOS or used. Beware many retailers supposedly offer them but don't really have them in stock.

Really, Toda are the best on the market and there is no need to buy others given the consequences of a part malfunction (see recent post about near catastrophe due to a cracked Fidanza). You apply a thin film of grease to the inner plate so it rotates smoothly when you loosen the bolts for adjustment. They work and look good and will last a long time without a problem. All that JDM engineering and quality does come at a price but how much does a new motor cost or even a simple tow bill?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (07-21-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I picked up the Mahura cam gears for my car. They look and feel very nice. Got em off of slevin for a great price

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Driftdevil's Avatar
    Drives
    95 Merlot
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzWing View Post
    Oh my that paint job looks great seems a shame to put it in a car.
    Lol! I'm antsy to get it in the car. Been sitting for about 7 months like that in the garage.
    95M- JIC FLT-A2's, Konig Flatouts 15x8 with 225 RS3's, rollbar, nardi, FM catback, lightweight flywheel and ACT clutch. And much more to come!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Driftdevil's Avatar
    Drives
    95 Merlot
    Thanks Given
    Freedomgli-
    I had some of the HKS ones on my 1.6 back in the day and I had a real bad problem with the toothed area wearing at an angle to the point it would shred the teeth of trimming belts. I'm guessing the metal was too soft.
    95M- JIC FLT-A2's, Konig Flatouts 15x8 with 225 RS3's, rollbar, nardi, FM catback, lightweight flywheel and ACT clutch. And much more to come!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    I picked up the Mahura cam gears for my car. They look and feel very nice. Got em off of slevin for a great price

The Maruha are just plain bad ass !! I had a set in Gold but sold the other miata before I had a chance to install them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12