Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I am insane.

Idling - Listen to it purr... erazoiii's Avatar
    Drives
    2004 Rx8
    Thanks Given

I think I am insane.

Hi all I figured this would be a great way to introduce myself, I have owned 2 first gen miatas and was looking to get back into a Miata so I posted my 04' RX8 for sale or trade and I got this unique offer as a trade. Apparently a fully built 99' turbo Miata with about 10k miles on a total build. Apparently pushing 350 at the wheels at 19psi , the catch? Apparently needs paint. I went to see it in person and actually drove it and it is insane. Now I find myself legitimately wanting it and I think i may be crazy.

My Rx8

The Miata I was offered.(looks aren't everything.)

Drives
    2004 Rx8
    Thanks Given
    (Quoted from the owner)

So it has the following

Je pistons and rods
    720 injectors*
    Mtune fuel rail
    Titanium Retainers****
    Solid lifters******
    Aem f/ic computer
    Aem tru boost electronic boost controller* gauge*
    Gauges alone almost cost $450
    Apexi turbo timer
    Aem wideband digital gauge
    11.5 lbs flywheel
    Port polish intake**
    Decked head
    Head cost $2200
    1999-2000 has better camshafts which are considered a stage 1 for other miatas****************************************
    Exhaust port* is also bigger this year 1.8ltr na motor*****
    Arp head studs and upper studs***
    The 2 tial blow off valves
    Tial wastegate
    New tires.
    Rear rim is 9.5 wide
    Front rim 8 wide
    Motor is between 5000 miles
    Chasis has about 76000 not sure right now
    Alarm
    Hardtop
    Chrome roll bar*
    4 core intercooler
    Oil catch can
    Adjustable cam gears

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    The only modified cars I trust are the ones I modified myself.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ihatecars For This Useful Post:

atank (07-17-2014),kung fu jesus (07-17-2014),Phatmiata (07-17-2014),RotorNutFD3S (07-17-2014),WASABI (07-18-2014)

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    There are some simple things that would make me hesitant, things like the hood spacers. Sure, they reduce underhood temps but at the cost of airflow through the heat exchangers (fyi, the latter is more important), so this vehicle supposedly making 3x the power has a stock radiator with reduced cooling capability. (Also, what's going on with the braided/solid line running from the heater core area to the upper radiator hose? All kinds of potential failure points in that one line alone.) He's also claiming things like solid lifters to be modifications when that's how the car came from the factory, this to me is a big alarm of someone just trying to push a sale. No filter on the turbo, might look cool to some people and it's not directly exposed, but stuff gets under the hood and all it takes is something small to chew the fins up.

To even start seriously considering this car I'd want dyno sheets and documentation from the build: receipts, pictures of assembly, etc., but even then I'd likely walk. There are some very nicely modified Miatas that pop up for sale on a regular basis, while I generally have the same mindset of only trusting the cars I modify myself, there are some Miatas I know I'd buy in a heartbeat should they come up for sale and the funds were there. These days most people have a build thread on a forum somewhere so it's easy to research the owner and the car and see what you're getting yourself into.
    Last edited by RotorNutFD3S; 07-17-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (07-17-2014),erazoiii (07-17-2014),Golden Stallion (07-19-2014),Hyper (07-17-2014),kung fu jesus (07-17-2014),Phatmiata (07-17-2014),WASABI (07-18-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    hmmm looking at his hoses most seem to be replacing vacuum/boost lines so purely cosmetic. One does bother me, its the one running to the turbo if its an oil line it seems rather long and overly complex but not really a problem. But more likely its a coolant line running from the heater hose area however given how it goes quite high I'd worry about an air pocket forming.

Another thing he's not giving the model of the turbo (well not that I can see) so it could be a cheap copy. It might work now but who knows in a few months? and if he's cheaped out on the turbo what does that say about the rest? Actually reading more into that list no info on the manifold and down pipe so maybe parts from a cheap Ebay kit? if so you will be in for a world of pain.

I honestly quite like your RX8 I'd keep it or wait for a MSM if you want to buy a turbo miata.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    I will say do a compression test on this engine and check for oil leaks. About the turbo components it could be TiAl replicas and a chinese turbo sondon't get too hyper on this car yet, brother. You have do your research and ask questions to the owner, that is my best advice.

Good Luck

Idling - Listen to it purr... Inspecta's Avatar
    Drives
    Supercharged 93LE #0086
    Thanks Given
    I'd keep that rx8 over the supposedly built meotter.

Just my $0.02
    Using Tapatalk

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erazoiii View Post
    (Quoted from the owner)

So it has the following

Je pistons and rods
    720 injectors*
    Mtune fuel rail
    Titanium Retainers****
    Solid lifters******
    Aem f/ic computer
    Aem tru boost electronic boost controller* gauge*
    Gauges alone almost cost $450
    Apexi turbo timer
    Aem wideband digital gauge
    11.5 lbs flywheel
    Port polish intake**
    Decked head
    Head cost $2200
    1999-2000 has better camshafts which are considered a stage 1 for other miatas****************************************
    Exhaust port* is also bigger this year 1.8ltr na motor*****
    Arp head studs and upper studs***
    The 2 tial blow off valves
    Tial wastegate
    New tires.
    Rear rim is 9.5 wide
    Front rim 8 wide
    Motor is between 5000 miles
    Chasis has about 76000 not sure right now
    Alarm
    Hardtop
    Chrome roll bar*
    4 core intercooler
    Oil catch can
    Adjustable cam gears
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
    There are some simple things that would make me hesitant, things like the hood spacers. Sure, they reduce underhood temps but at the cost of airflow through the heat exchangers (fyi, the latter is more important), so this vehicle supposedly making 3x the power has a stock radiator with reduced cooling capability. (Also, what's going on with the braided/solid line running from the heater core area to the upper radiator hose? All kinds of potential failure points in that one line alone.) He's also claiming things like solid lifters to be modifications when that's how the car came from the factory, this to me is a big alarm of someone just trying to push a sale. No filter on the turbo, might look cool to some people and it's not directly exposed, but stuff gets under the hood and all it takes is something small to chew the fins up.

To even start seriously considering this car I'd want dyno sheets and documentation from the build: receipts, pictures of assembly, etc., but even then I'd likely walk. There are some very nicely modified Miatas that pop up for sale on a regular basis, while I generally have the same mindset of only trusting the cars I modify myself, there are some Miatas I know I'd buy in a heartbeat should they come up for sale and the funds were there. These days most people have a build thread on a forum somewhere so it's easy to research the owner and the car and see what you're getting yourself into.
    RotorNut brings up the same concerns I had.

I see no mention of drive line upgrages, which at that power level is a huge concern. Beyond the clutch, I question the condition of the tranmission. I also see regular brakes, which to me, you need more whoa to match the go. No mention of suspension upgrade, other than a semi-stance/slam attempt.

The interior and exterior is a hot mess.

With all that custom engine work, I would want to see receipts and the shop(s) that put it together. That list of parts; is that a copy/paste from the owner? It doesn't add up or make a lot of sense.

We can pick it apart for days, but I don't see a fair trade here. The motor is lipstick on a pig and I would pass on it. You can put all the power you want into one of these chassis, but without the supporting upgrades to the other systems (suspension, driveline, brakes, etc.), you're going to be dumping a LOT more into it to make it complete.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

erazoiii (07-17-2014),RotorNutFD3S (07-17-2014),WASABI (07-18-2014)

Drives
    2004 Rx8
    Thanks Given
    Thank you everyone, I guess it was one of those caught in awe moments, thankfully I'm not one to make haste decisions on the spot.

I always wanted a turbo gen 2 miata and this car was a interesting build. I actually asked for all paper work regarding the build and he actually didn't have any of it. He did say the previous owner of the car had the work done. A lot of things seemed questionable at best with no proof which is why I said I would think about it and get back to him.
    Last edited by erazoiii; 07-17-2014 at 12:30 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erazoiii For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (07-18-2014),kung fu jesus (07-17-2014),RotorNutFD3S (07-17-2014)

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    Oh, in that case don't walk... RUN!
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (07-17-2014),erazoiii (07-17-2014),Ihatecars (07-18-2014),WASABI (07-18-2014)

Drives
    2004 Rx8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
    Oh, in that case don't walk... RUN!
    I actually hauled ass back home .

I will admit though, that thing was running 19psi and I was quite impressed with that.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Grenades are impressive until they explode.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

erazoiii (07-17-2014),JamieH (07-18-2014),RotorNutFD3S (07-19-2014),WASABI (07-18-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    They can be even more impressive when they explode.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pfunk For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (07-18-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    This is one of the most apt descriptions of rotaries in general I've ever seen. Even if it wasn't meant to be.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Never owned one, but I do love the sound! Especially the 3+ dorito versions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast