Thread: Garage Star Delrin Door Bushings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I've driven around 75 miles with these door blocks over a lot of different surfaces. I have some feedback.

Car: base 2001 NB with a rollbar. There's like no bracing on Bucky at all. No diagonals on the rollbar either. The windshield shakes CONSTANTLY. Or at least it did.

I installed the blocks with one of my beloved JIS screwdrivers (shameless advertising) and went for a drive. The whole car felt immediately transformed. The windshield hardly shook and I could actually feel the front and rear suspensions being independent of each other. I only got cowl shake on one bump on this test drive. I was hugely impressed.

I then drove around 50 miles the next day. The car started out nice and firm, but by the end of the day, I was seeing some windshield shake and the car was feeling more like a normal Miata. I was a bit disappointed. I figured that the first day was just new-part-excitement and maybe things weren't as magical as I was imagining. I don't have any NVH meters after all. It's all subjective. But it definitely felt shakey.

When I got home, I installed Sharka's door blocks. I did this with a ratchet since no JIS screwdrivers were handy at the time. I was amazed at how much the bolts kept tightening down after I felt like I'd gotten them tight. The delrin smooshes down a pretty good amount. On a whim, I opened up Bucky's driver door and tightened down the door blocks there. The driver door? TOTALLY LOOSE. The screws had worked their way loose and were barely finger tight. I zipped all 4 down with the ratchet (passenger side was decently tight still).

On the next Bucky drive (today), the feeling of strength and rigidity returned. Bucky felt like a real car again, and that feeling lasted all day. I covered about 35 miles today over a bunch of surfaces. The "Miata feel" of a wet noodle with a shaky windshield never came back.

I effectively gave myself a blind test. I had no idea that the door blocks had loosened and I could definitely feel something had changed when driving around with them loose. I'm rather amazed this happened. It was an awesome blind test to take.

So. These things WORK. I imagine Ken will be extremely busy making these since 100% of all Miatas on the planet require them. It needs to be one of the early mods every novice Miata driver does: rollbar, shift knob, vent rings, door blocks. Not necessarily in that order.

I'll have a ton of photos posted as soon as I get some driving impressions with Sharka. That car has a ton of bracing and doesn't shake much at all. I'm guessing the blocks won't be as noticeable, but we'll see.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

etikoner (07-01-2015),fwdtamiya (07-01-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (07-01-2015),HarryB (07-02-2015),JamieH (07-01-2015),Paul B (07-01-2015),Phatmiata (07-16-2015),tsingson (07-06-2015),vote4pedro (07-02-2015)