Thread: My 1996 BRG NA8C Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BRGNA8's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 378 Posts
    Now that I got the RS-Watanabe's back, I can't wait to mount them with fresh rubber. Took some more photos and mocked up how it'd look once the wheels are on there for good.

Once again, cannot thank Mark at Barrel Bros enough. His quality, workmanship and attention to detail is second to none. He tried to match the gold paint as period correct as he could and even when it was painted, the first time around wasn't satisfactory so he stripped it all back and did it again, free of charge. I love people like him who take pride in their work and lets their workmanship speak for themselves. Will definitely be going back there for future wheel restorations.

He also gave me this bottle free of charge too. It's called the "Barrel Bros Lip Balm" and it was developed in house. Basically it's a wheel polish that leaves a nice wax and gloss over the polished lips. Has things inside which help protect the wheel from the brake dust as this is one of the major causes of wheel damage, aside from physical gutter rashes etc.

Closeup of Watanabe's and the finish. Spectacular to say the least. The lip is immaculate and the paint is spot on. It's the exact gold finish I was looking for.

Mark fit some brand new 90 degree bend valve stems in the Watanabes to make putting air in to the tyres a lot easier and one less way to avoid any unwanted scuffs on the lips from the air hose. Also complimentary. I can still revert to my RS Watanabe valve stems later on if I really want to but I kinda like this look. Very practical too.

Mock up of what it will look like.

Better lighting.

With the RS-Watanabe centre caps on.

Just needs a fresh set of 185/60/14 rubber and a drop from the Ohlins DFV's to get it sitting and handling right.
    Last edited by BRGNA8; 07-08-2017 at 12:07 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

benpopham (04-23-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (04-21-2016),HarryB (04-21-2016),JamieH (04-21-2016),oldgrayleather (04-21-2016),Shibby (04-21-2016),WASABI (04-21-2016)