Thread: The Slow Pursuit of Vintage.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Thought about installing the side stripes today, but other shit happened. Had to change the starter in my mother's Avalanche. The original final had enough after some 300k miles. Got it to kick over one more time, but then it flipped me off by sticking on, so I had to quickly disconnect the battery so it'd stop trying to eat the teeth on the flexplate.

Once out it was a rattling mess, it'd make for a better rattle toy for a body building baby than a starter. Anyways, I'd just like to say fuck you to the guy that thought to put the dipstick tube in front of the starter. Otherwise, it was easy enough.

But, I did manage to pull the front mudflaps off. Decided I'd go ahead and trim them down to limit how much they scrub.

Too bad the paint underneath is garbage.

Driver's side is far worse than the passenger. Which really, I admit the passenger side ain't too bad besides the outline the mudflap rubbed into the paint. But sadly the driver's fender has clear coat peeling below the body line. Really wish I knew why a previous owner had her partially repainted instead of just having her properly buffed and polished if the original single stage had faded.

Once I get the stripes on, I'll see how she looks without the flaps again. Because she looks good without them in these pics.

Can't even see the peeling clear coat unless you know it's there and you're looking right at it in person. Do love that about pictures, they hide so many flaws and most of the dirt. Well, I like that about pictures of my own cars, not so much cars and stuff for sale on CL.

Started to sprinkle the moment after I took those last two pics. So, I rolled her back in and called it quits for now.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-20-2016),NCGreasemonkey (05-20-2016)