Well, after maybe two decades, I'm interested in getting back into the scene. I have tons of Nikkors, some Tamron and a mryiad of odds and ends from fish eyes to paralax-correcting bellows.

My camera history includes 6x7s, 4x5s, several 35mm from Canon AE-1, Pentax K-1000 to my favorite Olympus OM-1. Since I made a big investment in Nikon, I went that route with everything from an FM2 to a couple F3s and finally an F4.

Those bodies have long been sold off leaving me with either my iPhone 6 or my Canon G11. Now I want to start using my old Nikkors again again, well actually a Nikon body again and I'm just blown away by the sheer number of options out there. Higher numbers don't necessarily mean more capable cameras I take it.

I'm focusing (pun intended) on the D5500 right now because it's listed as a DX type camera (whatever that means) with the same stats as its magnesium-bodied professional cousin, the D700. Since I don't plan on going to Syria to shoot for National Geographic, I don't really think I need all that metal armor when the D5500's carbon fibre chassis seems like it should suffice. It does for Formula 1 cars at least.

Before I start shelling out a bunch of Benjamins however, I wanted to check here first to see what you guys think. The kit I'm looking at has a couple of VR (vibration reduction - who'da thunk?) lenses I guess would suffice for most things. I know they're nothing close to my 300mm f2.8 glass but what the heck.

Your thoughts?