Thread: CT's 92 Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Idling - Listen to it purr... CaffeineTripp's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 92
    Thanks Given

CT's 92 Build

The build for this car is going to keep in mind the point of Miata: Be lightweight, lower power, and handle incredibly well while having a modest budget. Of course, this has been done before with many cars on the forum, other forums, and out in the wild. I'm going to keep the car as stock appearing as possible, minus the current wheels. Though I'd love this

and a fastback hardtop might be in the future, I'll just stick with some modest exterior upgrades. The Miata is by no means going to be a racecar, nor do I have the budget for it, but something more fun to drive and give it a little spit-shine.

I'm going to stick with a naturally aspirated engine; adding to the power midrange and up top and create better throttle response by opening up the flow as best as possible and increasing the compression. 10.5/11:1 pistons, extrude honed, intake, camshafts and gears, and some heavy machine work on the head should liven it up.

Electronics are going to come in by MS; remove the MAF and switch to MAP, have the ability to run E85/race gas or pump on the fly. Add in a WBO2 for tuning and that's about it.

For the drivetrain I'll be staying as close to stock as possible, just utilizing OEM parts for upgrades. No more open differential for this car. Lightweight flywheel and a slightly heavier pressure plate with a one-up disc. Shift throw will remain near stock or completely stock depending on how I feel about it. Any suggestions on what feels better; short throw or stock?

Brakes aren't going to be that big of an upgrade. The EBC Red Stuff pads do a fine job, but having some piece of mind swapping to SS braided hoses for a better feel would be nice. No need for a BBK or drilled/slotted rotors.

Fuel will be an easy upgrade to run E85; bigger injectors, larger fuel pump, larger fuel rail, and FPR. Pretty cake.

Suspension and handling is almost done. H&R springs are on and poly bushings are here. Some chassis bracing, mostly for S&Gs in weak points, but not too much else. No need for a $1,200 coilover kit or fender bracing, well, unless I win a lottery.

Cooling shouldn't be an issue, but aluminum radiators look pretty.

Ignition will consist of stock coil, NGK wires, and iridium plugs (if the 1.6 likes them).

Overall, that's about it. Built for fun, modestly, with not a lot of investment. Maybe some internal work down the road with rods, balanced crankshaft, fully blueprinted engine (unlikely), and some other drivetrain parts, but not much of anything after that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CaffeineTripp For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-23-2017)