7/09/2012

Driving Impressions, First Day
I made a fatal error on Saturday, procrastinating a bit on the papers that I needed to grade. This cut down on the "Miata time" on the first day. I did some of the typical "I just bought a new-to-me car" stuff, though. Washed it quickly at a spray 'n wash, started cleaning the engine bay (lightly) and hit the hood with clay bar / rubbing compound / sealer wax to see how well the paint will come back. (SHINY!)

Around 9:30 I finally had some time, and took an hour or so long drive around town. With an autoX in less than a week, I need to relearn how to drive a stick and get to know how "Camber" is going to behave.

First thought: My automatic 87 Fiero GT is also classed for autoX as "E Stock," the same as the miata. I had always figured they must be somewhat close in terms of performance if they are classed the same. Was I ever wrong in that assumption! The fiero always felt "sloppy" in turns, while the miata feels extremely precise and controlled. Turning is sharp and very responsive. Despite trying to push it (in safe-ish environments where there was no one around) I haven't really found the edge.

My BMW never felt sloppy, but I don't remember it feeling this tight, either. I'll be curious to see how it feels at the airport (SCCA race) next week, since the miata came with the same tires as I had on the Ti. On the Ti they always felt spongy.

Brakes: I think the slide bin might be binding a bit. The brakes have a bit of a squeek squeek squeek (might be a bearing?) but, since I'm replacing the pads and rotors, I'll be greasing the slide pins when I do them.

Lights: They're on, but I can barely tell! Time for e-codes.

Radio: The least of my concerns, although I do like my music / news from time to time. The factory cassette player isn't going to cut it.