Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Car Audio System on my miata

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    How does it compare to other deadeners, like fat mat? No asphalt in it, right?

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Radiohead's Avatar
    Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    How does it compare to other deadeners, like fat mat? No asphalt in it, right?
    No asphalt. It's a 3M product and unique in construction. I would say that you really can't compare this to say a dynamat. These are two different animals. This stuff to me, is twice the thickness, pliable and can be stretched out a little with a heat gun. Downside is cost. It's expensive! I'm only using it in the doors for that reason.
    99' White Miata

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given

New pics!

image.jpgimage.jpgHave not posted for awhile, life as gotten a little more complex theses days. Work continues on the stereo install. Purchased new speaker wires and an amp wiring kit. Everything I ordered was OFC tinned copper in a super twist configuration for less EMI interference.
    Doors, inside door skins all soundproofed and wires have all been pulled thru. The crossovers sit in the door skin and are Velcro mounted for easy removal and they also cushion the crossover from excessive shock.
    I still have not decided where to mount the amp. The JL/300/4 takes up some room! Any suggestions? Right now I have everything run to the trunk. I'd like to mount it vertically so I get good heat dissipation from the sinks.
    Just received my wiring harness adaptor for the HU. that's next on the list!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Radiohead; 12-11-2013 at 01:10 AM.
    99' White Miata

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radiohead For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-18-2013),Phatmiata (12-11-2013)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Noice!

Good work in these installs is all about the prep and details! I like what I see!

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    Work continues! Albeit at a slower pace. After a bit of consideration. Decided to mount the amp behind the passenger seat. The size of the amp had a lot to do with the location. Gonna lose a little leg room and the seat won't recline all the way back but, I tried it and its ok. Besides, I'm usually solo for the most part anyway lol. Next up is reinstalling the dash. HU is mounted and wired in. Just have to connect the RCA's and the antenna lead. Shooting for sound trial by this coming weekend!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    99' White Miata

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Radiohead For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-18-2013)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Can't wait to see/hear this in person!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Man, I miss my JL amps. The slash series to me are one of the best out there.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I have speaker wire, 12 or 14 ga if you want to run it to the fronts.

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given

What are you doing today?

Hey guys,
    Looking for a little help today with some electrical issues. Stereo install went well. When I reinstalled the dash it came right on with no issues(BTW IT ROCKS!) but, the power mirrors don't work, the climate controls (fan) will work with no key in the ignition, turn signals don't work ( 4-ways do)
    WTF????? I disconnected the radio harness and no changes. I'm guessing its got be a connector or something in the dash harnesses causing the problems.
    I live near Raymond James stadium and my number is 813-528-1666. Call or text if you can come out. That car is under the carport in the shade,I have plenty of tools and a multimeter( no expertise!) and I'll rustle up some lunch for those that can make it over.

Any help is appreciated!
    Thnx,
    Pete
    99' White Miata

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Just to be clear...did you alter, cut or modify any of the stock harness in any way?

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    I'm guessing the mirrors don't work because you haven't plugged in the wiring or at least not enough to "click" into place. As for the fan and turn signals, did you run any new wiring? Because they're getting power when they shouldn't. The hazard and turn lights run off the same flash module so if the hazards work but the turns don't, the module is good but the wiring is off like perhaps the turn-signal stalk on the steering column. Sorry, not much help but I'm trying to think it through.

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Just to be clear...did you alter, cut or modify any of the stock harness in any way?
    No modifications made to any harnesses. Everything electrical was plug amd play. I even went back and completely disconnected the radio. No change. I forgot to mention that the engine is not in the car at this moment. Does that have any possible bearing?
    Last edited by Radiohead; 12-21-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    99' White Miata

Drives
    Chaste White 99'
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    I'm guessing the mirrors don't work because you haven't plugged in the wiring or at least not enough to "click" into place. As for the fan and turn signals, did you run any new wiring? Because they're getting power when they shouldn't. The hazard and turn lights run off the same flash module so if the hazards work but the turns don't, the module is good but the wiring is off like perhaps the turn-signal stalk on the steering column. Sorry, not much help but I'm trying to think it through.
    I've gone back and checked all the connectors to insure everything is clicked in place. The only new wiring came from the amp mounted behind the passenger seat. It goes directly to the battery for positive and is grounded to the chassis. Is it possible to have a connector plugged in the wrong place? I don't see how.........BTW the engine is currently not in the car.
    99' White Miata

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Uhhh...hmm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12